Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canned Chicken

I am not a seafood eater, so my PA said I could add canned chicken in the mechanical stage of my diet that starts on Friday. Does anyone have any good recipes for canned chicken? The only thing I ever tried it in pre-op was a buffalo chicken dip.. Which has a ton of stuff that is no bueno! I have always thought it smelled like tuna and was a turned off by it! But, I need Protein and I am taking it where I can get it!

I don't have any recipes for you but I do have 5 big cans of it. I stocked up before surgery without ever tasting it. It does taste and smell like tuna to me. Yuck! I'll give it away to the first one tha will take it.

I hope you find some good recipes that make it taste good.

I just add a bit of Hellmann mayo, salt, pepper and have with a melba toast. I know someone put on top of retried Beans with a bit of taco seasoning , added low fat cheese and heated it up, said it w great.

I pureed the canned chicken with some Oikos Greek Yogurt dip in the cucumber and dill flavor. Yum! They also have other flavors. They're low fat and add a little extra Protein.

dips.aspx" rel="external nofollow">http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt/oikos-greek-yogurt-dips.aspx

I mixed it with fat free mayo and seasonings in the food processor for chicken salad, or I mixed it with a wedge of laughing cow cheese with some hot sauce for a light buffalo chicken. I don't like tuna either and it did smell like tuna but once I mixed it with stuff it was ok

Ok ladies... This is what I just threw together with my canned chicken. It taste pretty good and does not have that smell....

4 oz canned chicken

1 tbsp of each of the following

Green pepper

Onion

Peas and carrots

1 tsp of minced garlic

1/8 cup of canned mushrooms

1 package of chicken gravy

( I kind of guessed at how much of the veggies, I forgot to measure before I added, I am still a newbie.. Please forgive me)

I opened the can of chicken and the smell knocked me out! Lol. I drained it and then rinsed it with Water. I then let it soak in some skim milk for about 10 minutes. I added the veggies in a skillet and let them begin to cook. I then added the chicken with some of the skim milk... Maybe 1/8 of a cup and the garlic to the veggies. I added some parsley, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste(not much salt because the gravy has quite a bit). I let the mixture cook down together. In a separate pan I made the packaged chicken gravy according to directions. After the majority of the liquid cooked down in the chicken mixture I mixed everything together. I added everything in my fitness pal and came up with the following...

Makes 4 servings

Amounts are per serving

Calories:69

Fat:1

Carbs:6

Protein:7

Sodium:464( high I know)

Potassium: 26

I am sure if you omit the peas and carrots, the carbs will reduce a bit. But for 7 grams of Protein.... I will take it. Plus it helps with my liquid intake.

Ok ladies... This is what I just threw together with my canned chicken. It taste pretty good and does not have that smell....

4 oz canned chicken

1 tbsp of each of the following

Green pepper

Onion

Peas and carrots

1 tsp of minced garlic

1/8 cup of canned mushrooms

1 package of chicken gravy

( I kind of guessed at how much of the veggies' date=' I forgot to measure before I added, I am still a newbie.. Please forgive me)

I opened the can of chicken and the smell knocked me out! Lol. I drained it and then rinsed it with Water. I then let it soak in some skim milk for about 10 minutes. I added the veggies in a skillet and let them begin to cook. I then added the chicken with some of the skim milk... Maybe 1/8 of a cup and the garlic to the veggies. I added some parsley, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste(not much salt because the gravy has quite a bit). I let the mixture cook down together. In a separate pan I made the packaged chicken gravy according to directions. After the majority of the liquid cooked down in the chicken mixture I mixed everything together. I added everything in my fitness pal and came up with the following...

Makes 4 servings

Amounts are per serving

Calories:69

Fat:1

Carbs:6

Protein:7

Sodium:464( high I know)

Potassium: 26

I am sure if you omit the peas and carrots, the carbs will reduce a bit. But for 7 grams of Protein.... I will take it. Plus it helps with my liquid intake.[/quote']

I don't have any recipes for you but I do have 5 big cans of it. I stocked up before surgery without ever tasting it. It does taste and smell like tuna to me. Yuck! I'll give it away to the first one tha will take it.

I hope you find some good recipes that make it taste good.

I'd love it!

I mix mine with cottage cheese, salt and pepper and bacos. Double dose of protein!

I use it in Soups, stew, chili, cassoulet, and of course chicken salad.< /p>

Well, I take 2 oz of canned chicken but it in a microwaveable bowl, add some hot sauce and stir, then add a laughing cow cheese and 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheddar, mix it all together, place in microwave and cover with paper towel, and cook on high for 2 minutes, stir. Now it can be eaten with a spoon as is or placed back in the microwave for another 2 minutes and it comes out as a crisp which is really good.

I have a different suggestion. Ditch the canned chicken and make your own super moist and soft chicken. I have a proper recipe on my blog, but season some chicken the way you like it, slice up an onion and put in the crockpot. Place chicken on top. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. That's it. No need to add Water, it generates it's own gravy/juice. So simple and so much tastier than canned chicken and it's soft and moist and yummy.

You may also try chicken breast in the crock pot with chicken stock. Cover the chicken with stock and cook on med for 6 hours. It's so tender and juicy, I shred it and use it a million different ways.