Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I in the honeymoon stage?

Am I crazy? OK, I know the answer to that! I am 3 weeks out today. I've had some problems (can't tolerate whey, lactose or fat), can't eat much at all, either quantity or variety, I was so heavy to begin with (huge belly) that you can't really even tell I've lost weight, I have severe anemia, hemoglobin 7.4, I've broken up with my boyfriend. BUT, I don't care!!! I am giddy. Did I mention I'm off my anti-depressants because I can't stand the thought of crushing another pill. I know this has I be the honeymoon phase or something, but I am beside myself with joy. I've been losing weight for 5 weeks, practically a lifetime record for me. I don't feel controlled by food, which has been a source of shame, pain, frustration and despair for 20 years. That's gone. I feel strong, brave, empowered and in control of my life and my future. I have had no second thoughts, no buyers remorse, no angst about food. I've gone out to eat and had a tablespoon of something while my kids, siblings or friends chowed down on my old favorites and I just feel like a rock star because I don't care and can control myself for a change. So. I want to hear from others who feel like they are so blessed by this. This surgery has changed my brain as much as my stomach. I didn't predict it, but thank you God!!! It's only been 3 weeks and I cannot wait to see what positive things are in store for me. I am laughing more, talking to strangers, making my kids jam out to my (according to them) very unhip music. I love my life. Anyone else feeling this way?

I have my surgery 9/16/13 and I can only hope and pray I have the positivity that you have. Very inspirational to say the least. Congrats and good luck with your new life, you deserve it!!!!! :D

Just wait - it gets even better ;)

I'm this way now. I still have my problems (lactose intolerant, long stalls, etc.) but I feel this way. I think it is a mix of the extra energy and also knowing that I am working toward a goal.

I am a pretty driven person so goals thrill me ---nerd alert---. Also, I think the fact that I mastered my fear and jumped in and did this, is a pretty good high for me.

However, I have heard about the honeymoon stage during weight loss. I saw some time ago that a person hit goal and then felt lost. I'm working hard to be sure I keep some type of goal/motivation even once I hit that magic size/weight.

I always get really sad when I end something (like projects, etc.) so I know I need to be prepared for that now since I am determined to reach my goal.

As soon as I made the decision to have WLS I couldn't stop smiling. For the first time in 25 years I had hope. I'm 3 months post op and I'm happy. I have a lot to learn and get a little frusttrated by stalls but its okay. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted. I love my sleeve.

Am I crazy? OK, I know the answer to that! I am 3 weeks out today. I've had some problems (can't tolerate whey, lactose or fat), can't eat much at all, either quantity or variety, I was so heavy to begin with (huge belly) that you can't really even tell I've lost weight, I have severe anemia, hemoglobin 7.4, I've broken up with my boyfriend. BUT, I don't care!!! I am giddy. Did I mention I'm off my anti-depressants because I can't stand the thought of crushing another pill. I know this has I be the honeymoon phase or something, but I am beside myself with joy. I've been losing weight for 5 weeks, practically a lifetime record for me. I don't feel controlled by food, which has been a source of shame, pain, frustration and despair for 20 years. That's gone. I feel strong, brave, empowered and in control of my life and my future. I have had no second thoughts, no buyers remorse, no angst about food. I've gone out to eat and had a tablespoon of something while my kids, siblings or friends chowed down on my old favorites and I just feel like a rock star because I don't care and can control myself for a change. So. I want to hear from others who feel like they are so blessed by this. This surgery has changed my brain as much as my stomach. I didn't predict it, but thank you God!!! It's only been 3 weeks and I cannot wait to see what positive things are in store for me. I am laughing more, talking to strangers, making my kids jam out to my (according to them) very unhip music. I love my life. Anyone else feeling this way?

Good for you! You made me smile just reading about yours! And yes, I feel the same way three months out.

Ditto...I am 7 weeks out and feel the same about my sleeve.

I'm so excited for you! I had my surgery 4 weeks ago tomorrow & I unfortunately don't feel exactly "giddy", as you say. I wish I did! I'm mourning food right now. Like tonight I made a yummy dinner for my family, with Pasta (my absolute favorite food) & I ate a couple of strands of angel hair Pasta & it felt too heavy, so I was sad I couldn't eat it, BUT I am excited when I step on the scale to see how much I've gone down! That part makes me giddy, especially looking at being in the 260's which I haven't been since before I gave birth to my 11 y/o son! Ha! I guess I'll feel more giddy once I start fitting into the clothes I have packed away in a wardrobe closet in my basement. I stored some favorite things I couldn't donate once I no longer fit into them.

Once again tho, I'm so very happy for you & I hope your giddiness rubs off on me!

PJ, you are about to change your life. You're going to love it. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers for a great surgery and easy recovery. Next year we are going to be looking and feeling amazing please keep me posted on how everything goes. Your date is my middle son's birthday, so you picked a blessed day;)

Chimera and Ballermom, thanks for giving me something else to look forward to. My life feels like Christmas. Every day I wake up excited to see what that day brings.

Twinsmama, I don't think reaching goal will feel like an ending. It will be a wonderful beginning. Maybe like having a baby. You may miss being pregnant, but actually being handed that baby burrito trumps that:)

Barbarah, I can totally relate. I was not that excited before, strangely, but now I feel like I have hope that I just never could have had without this surgery. Some people would say, you just need to try XYZ. I knew it was hopeless. I'd already tried and given it everything I had to give, on nervous occasions. And failed. Now, I can feel the change in me. This was exactly what I needed to get back in the drivers seat and I am so grateful and relieved.

Lipstick and Pickens. I'm glad you feel like me. I wish these positive thoughts and joy for everyone.

I'm 3 month post op and feel like I'm still in the honeymoon phase. All positives so far. Best thing I ever did for myself!

Pixie, I am sorry you have those moments of mourning food. I have had a few instances of pause. For example, this weekend my sister went to Makoto's, the best Japanese steakhouse on the planet. For just a second I was jealous. The next second, I thought, whatever. Next year at this time she'll be sorry when her MUCH older sister is a thin little hottie;). Then I crack myself up and can't stay sad. So, when you areas sing your Pasta and wanting to strangle your husband for enjoying a mixing bowl of it, and you are reduced to 2 strands, keep thinking about things like those clothes you want to get back into AND, buying new, cute clothes at regular thin people stores. Just because its stylish, cute and flattering on you. Not because that dumpy, frumpy piece of crap was the only thing that you could zip up. We are saying goodbye to all of those inconveniences, humiliations and indignities.

And you will eat more than one strand of angel hair again:)