Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

extra fees after surgery at Nova Hospital in Tijuana?

I was sleeved in Mexico on 9/13 with Dr Fernando Garcia in Mexico. All my paperwork was in English and I knew going in if my Bmi was over 50 it would be an extra $500 and if I had a hernia it would be another $500. Well I had neither happen, thank goodness. Also I had a bad cough and cold when I got to Mexico and while I was in the hospital they gave me breathing treatments every 6 hours and they never charged me a penny extra for them. I figured I would get a huge bill for them but they sent me a statement saying I was paid in full.

Again , the papers in Spanish are for the hospital use. I agree that they should be written in Spanish ,English probably French , mandarin like any other touristic brochure . I think that if you request that , during your preliminary arrangements ,they will be happy to do it for you.

I used Dr Kelly and did not incur any extra costs. His wife CeCe too king me out to lunch and went to the plaza for shopping.

Again ' date=' the papers in Spanish are for the hospital use. I agree that they should be written in Spanish ,English probably French , mandarin like any other touristic brochure . I think that if you request that , during your preliminary arrangements ,they will be happy to do it for you.[/quote']

Just heard from Dr. R.Kelly's coordinator Lora that Nova Hospital is now providing all paperwork in English. Yay!!!

I used Dr Kelly and did not incur any extra costs. His wife CeCe too king me out to lunch and went to the plaza for shopping.

Fawn1120,

When was your surgery done? I think this just started happening this year. I never heard of it either until the last 6-8months...makes me sad and nervous. I would of had the entire amount saved for everything but heard that and it set me back. It sucks cause' now I have to wait, budget and up before I can get a date set.

Be sure to talk to several patients.. Preferably by phone and go with your gut instincts. This is all in addition to through research

Be sure to talk to several patients.. Preferably by phone and go with your gut instincts. This is all in addition to through research

Absolutely. Did do the research and talked to several patients. I'm nervous but exvited to have the Sleeve done...no bands here.

MsAntiband is right again. Do your homework and decide.for yourself. However keep in mind that the more choices you have the harder is to pick one and also the bigger chance for remorse meaning what if I didn't pick the right one?

Just had the gastric sleeve done this week at this hospital; my BMI was under 35, and yes, I also got hit with with a $430 bill for "extra" hospital charges. And just for the record: some of the "required paperwork" I had to sign at Nova was only available in Spanish, even though I asked if English forms were available... I was told there was no translated paperwork available.

Edited by LaChasida

Yup they totally nailed me an extra $350 and I was still trying to get a proper/clear answer as to WHY 3 weeks post op. I was finally told that they had to give me addt'l painkillers above and beyond. My response was that I had ZERO pain or discomfort after my surgery and in fact never took a single pill after leaving the hospital. Their answer was "well that's because you were given extra painkillers." ummmmmmmmmmmm WHAT?! I never once complained about pain or requested it be given to me. I was not a fan of Nova Hospital, it was pretty gross imo. Having seen another new hospital for my leak test I would've paid the extra money to stay there.

Just had the gastric sleeve done this week at this hospital; my BMI was under 35, and yes, I also got hit with with a $430 bill for "extra" hospital charges. And just for the record: some of the "required paperwork" I had to sign at Nova was only available in Spanish, even though I asked if English forms were available... I was told there was no translated paperwork available.

My paperwork was in Spanish as well and I had no idea what the hell I was signing...