Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes vs protein powder

I use both. RTD I use premier or muscle milk. Premier is $25 for 18 at costco. I also drink the Isopure zero carb juice type daily. Love grape and peach mango. They get expensive but I look at it like this. Instead it a meal deal I have a protien drink.

I use both. RTD I use premier or muscle milk. Premier is 25 for 18 at costco. I also drink the Isopure zero carb juice type daily. Love grape and peach mango. They get expensive but I look at it like this. Instead it a meal deal I have a protien drink.

That's very true!

The question that I have, I have not seen on the post before. If the sleeve is 3-4oz, how long does it take for you'll to drink it? The Protein Shakes I have made in the past are like 16 oz once it is blended

My NUT recommends the powders because they have less additives. I've used both. Premade really helps with convenience, especially on trips and for emergencies. Plus, my go to premade was Premier chocolate, and it didn't taste as sweet, which was appealing. And the premade don't get frothy like the mixes can.

My NUT recommends the powders because they have less additives. I've used both. Premade really helps with convenience' date=' especially on trips and for emergencies. Plus, my go to premade was Premier chocolate, and it didn't taste as sweet, which was appealing. And the premade don't get frothy like the mixes can.[/quote']

I think what I will do is keep mix for when I'm at home but keep a couple premade in the fridge for emergencies and such. I guess it's just a matter of finding one that I like.

The question that I have' date=' I have not seen on the post before. If the sleeve is 3-4oz, how long does it take for you'll to drink it? The Protein shakes I have made in the past are like 16 oz once it is blended[/quote']

That's a good question. I see other people post that they are drinking the same one through out the day. This is in the beginning though.

How long it takes to drink depends on the person and how far out from surgery you are. liquids usually go right through the sleeve once you are several weeks out of surgery and the swelling has gone down. When I was first sleeved, I couldn't drink more than 2 ounces of Protein Shake over the course of an hour. Now I am about seven weeks out (I think) and I can drink an 8 ounce Protein Drink in an hour but sometimes I feel overfull when I do. Drinking 8 ounces over 90 minutes is a lot more comfortable.

I'm still pre op but so far I'm a fan of the powders. I feel like it is a better bargin. I also like the idea of customizing the vanilla Protein Powder by adding crystal light or sugar free pudding to it. Thus far I've had a orange, cheesecake, banana creme, and strawberry watermelon. It sure beats having a 12 pack of just vanilla or chocolate. I've heard that tastes change post op so curious to see if I will continue to prefer the powder.< /p>

I'm still pre op but so far I'm a fan of the powders. I feel like it is a better bargin. I also like the idea of customizing the vanilla Protein powder by adding crystal light or sugar free pudding to it. Thus far I've had a orange' date=' cheesecake, banana creme, and strawberry watermelon. It sure beats having a 12 pack of just vanilla or chocolate[/quote']

Which brand do you use? Those flavors sound good!

For my vanilla, I use dymatize all natural elite whey Protein, but I think probably any vanilla will do. Then I add one or a half of those crystal light packets made for the individual Water bottles (depending on how "intense" I want the flavor. For the cheesecakes or banana creme, I add about one to two spoonfuls of sugar free Jello instant pudding. The banana creme is really good with half a banana blended in. The nectar Roadside Lemonade is my favorite pre made powder of all and I just add a bit of strawberry lemonade powder and water to make it different

For my vanilla' date=' I use dymatize all natural elite whey Protein, but I think probably any vanilla will do. Then I add one or a half of those crystal light packets made for the individual Water bottles (depending on how "intense" I want the flavor. For the cheesecakes or banana creme, I add about one to two spoonfuls of sugar free Jello instant pudding. The banana creme is really good with half a banana blended in. The nectar Roadside Lemonade is my favorite pre made powder of all and I just add a bit of strawberry lemonade powder and Water to make it different[/quote']

Those are all good ideas. I would have never thought about doing stuff like that. Thanks!

I've been looking at some of the mixes online and they seem expensive. What kind do you use and do you order online or buy in a store. I live on a fixed income so I worry that that post op diet is going to be hard for me to keep up with.

I like the chocolate Body Fortress at Walmart. It runs about 18.99 for the large tub Iadd 2 tbsp of PB2 and 1 tbsp Chia seeds...yum.

I have added crystal light or Hawaiian Punch to Roadside Lemonade and even Fuzzy Navel. Ive never thought os using pudding. Can you explain how you use the Protein drinks and the sf pudding?

Same general principle, just use two to four spoonfuls of instant sugar free pudding powder in lieu of the crystal light. Then prepare the shake as you normally would with skim milk or whatever milk product you typically use. You can add fruit or ice if you prefer and blend.