Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did my sleep apnea testing on the weekend. I was told I would get the results within three weeks. I got a call yesterday from their office, I was excited..maybe I got my results early and I don't have sleep apnea??? Nope! They called to schedule the second sleepover study. SECOND?! I thought I was done! lol. If I get my results and It says I don't have sleep apnea..err do I have do the second part? I was so close to finishing everything! I was clinging to it like a drowning man! Ok. Ok. Enough with the dramatics on my end. Anyone have this happen?

Ouch! Quite the monkey wrench especially with you being so close to the finish line. This has not happened to me, but I have my fingers crossed that the test results will be negative. Alternatively, I'm sure there are PLENTY of people here that have had sleep apnea and surgery. I'm guessing this has to do with the anesthesia and your safety, and they're erring on the side of caution. Hopefully this complication wont be complicated and will be resolved quickly and successfully!

I was called in a second time because I did have it, mild though.. I'm sorry but I think the second time is to measure the oxygen you might need.. It's not so bad in surgery they'll just have to be extra careful with you.. They were with me yesterday.. Maybe you should call them they will tell you why u need to come in

Elliott, I just had my sleep study as well. My dr told me she was ordering a 'split' study: 1/2 the night they monitor me and if they see I have apnea then the other 1/2 of the night they would fit me with a cpap mask and monitor me.

My dr told me that traditional sleep studies have you come in the first night for monitoring. If they discover you have apnea, then they have you come back for a second night so they can fit you for a cpap mask and determine what level of oxygen you need.

So it sounds like to me, they think you have apnea or else they wouldn't have you come back.

Btw, I don't have apnea (I'm happy, but was at least hoping for mild apnea) so they didn't wake me up in the middle of my study to fit me for the cpap. Because of that, I knew when I woke up that I didn't have it.

I did my sleep apnea testing on the weekend. I was told I would get the results within three weeks. I got a call yesterday from their office' date=' I was excited..maybe I got my results early and I don't have sleep apnea??? Nope! They called to schedule the second sleepover study. SECOND?! I thought I was done! lol. If I get my results and It says I don't have sleep apnea..err do I have do the second part? I was so close to finishing everything! I was clinging to it like a drowning man! Ok. Ok. Enough with the dramatics on my end. Anyone have this happen?[/quote']

I work as a sleep tech and sounds to me like u have sleep apnea because USUALLY the second night is treatment with CPAP

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Question for you all. Did your PCP order the test or did the Surgeon order the test. My reason for asking is because when i saw my PCP this week for my physical she asked me questions like do i wake up with a headache, is my sleep broken during the night other than to go to the bathroom, Do i fall asleep during the day. All of my responses were no. She didn't say anything more about the sleep study after that.

Question for you all. Did your PCP order the test or did the Surgeon order the test. My reason for asking is because when i saw my PCP this week for my physical she asked me questions like do i wake up with a headache, is my sleep broken during the night other than to go to the bathroom, Do i fall asleep during the day. All of my responses were no. She didn't say anything more about the sleep study after that.

My surgeon had me fill out a questionaire as part of my inital paperwork and said my score reflected that I could possibly have apnea. He sent me to a Pulmonologist and she ordered the sleep study.

Chas74 can you answer a question for me please. Is a sleep study needed/recommended if you snore period? or are there other things that determine if the study is needed.

My sleep study is tonight. I snore. I've only awakened at times because I ate too much and almost choked. I was so stuffed. I shouldn't have said that. It only happened twice in my life. And it was always after a huge binge.

I refused to take it. I think this is a money making scam. Everyone I know that has been diagnosed with this has a CPAP machine in their closet, never use it because they can't. I snored and probably had the so called disease but I have been thru many surgeries so why do it now. It seems that we go thru an awful lot of testing for this surgery compared to other surgeries where you just go and have the surgery and you are done. Maybe it's a way for the insurance to drag it out and they hope that you get tired of all the hoops and don't have the surgery. This is my opinion.

I refused to take it. I think this is a money making scam. Everyone I know that has been diagnosed with this has a CPAP machine in their closet, never use it because they can't. I snored and probably had the so called disease but I have been thru many surgeries so why do it now. It seems that we go thru an awful lot of testing for this surgery compared to other surgeries where you just go and have the surgery and you are done. Maybe it's a way for the insurance to drag it out and they hope that you get tired of all the hoops and don't have the surgery. This is my opinion.

Mokee, the only reason I did the sleep study was to hopefully find out I have a mild form of apnea and that would count as a comorbidity for me with my insurance co. I think that's why most people follow through with this test, so it will help out with insurance approval. If this weren't something my ins co was looking for as a comorbidity, then I wouldn't have had the test. I am thankful my results were negative, that just means, for insurance purposes, all my other comorbidities have to count.

But I know of others that have apnea and use their cpap and love it!

I have a CPAP machine and use it faithfully every night. I had this prior to beginning procedure for surgery. My PCP ordered the test. I have mild apnea. But the problem runs in my family, my dad has it very bad. But of course he weighs 345lbs. If I would not use the machine, I would not be able to sleep at night, neither would my husband. I had to do two sleepovers, one for the test, the second for settings on the machine.

I refused to take it. I think this is a money making scam. Everyone I know that has been diagnosed with this has a CPAP machine in their closet' date=' never use it because they can't. I snored and probably had the so called disease but I have been thru many surgeries so why do it now. It seems that we go thru an awful lot of testing for this surgery compared to other surgeries where you just go and have the surgery and you are done. Maybe it's a way for the insurance to drag it out and they hope that you get tired of all the hoops and don't have the surgery. This is my opinion.[/quote']

sleep apnea can actually be very dangerous and even fatal. It leads to congestive heart failure and sudden cardiac arrest. When the body stops breathing for short periods of time (apnea) the oxygen levels in the body drop and the heart has to work harder to get oxygen to the cells. sleep apnea is not a scam, it is a serious medical condition. Just because people are noncompliant with the cpap does not mean they don't need it, it just means those people are noncompliant.

Lulu5 i believe you answered my question. I suffer from a condition called Lymphedema in both of my legs and i know for a fact that is a comorbidity (it is one of the top 5 comorbidities) so maybe that is why my PCP didn't press the issue of the sleep study.