Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have went for my consultation with bariatric counselor and meet with surgeon the first time on August 22. I was wondering what is typical pre op test that the doctor will order?

Tuesday was my first visit with surgeon an he didn't order any testing for me to have fine. We mainly talked about which surgery i wanted where he wanted me to be at on the scale an then he introduced me to the lady that explains all of insurance requirements. He also talked to me about the egd that you have to have before your wls. It's a day surgery where a scope goes down your throat to your tummy area ( I think) lol.

Tuesday was my first visit with surgeon an he didn't order any testing for me to have fine. We mainly talked about which surgery i wanted where he wanted me to be at on the scale an then he introduced me to the lady that explains all of insurance requirements. He also talked to me about the egd that you have to have before your wls. It's a day surgery where a scope goes down your throat to your tummy area ( I think) lol.

So I guess it depends on the person and the surgeon as to what type of testing will be done. I have been reading other post and it seems like some people have a whole battery of test done. I'm so excited to get the ball rolling but I'm so nervous! Thanks for answering! :)

Mine ordered lab work, EKG, and Upper GI. He also went through the remainder of my pre op expectations: sleep study, psych evaluation, mandatory book, mandatory support group visit. That was 7 months ago and I am being sleeve in just about 18 days.... Time really does fly!

Yes I also have a lot of pre op requirements but its mainly based on your insurance company an what they require. It's a journey for sure a long process of different things that need to be completed. I hope to be done with everything December 1, an hope to have surgery by then end of December. Yay! ;)

Mine ordered lab work' date=' EKG, and Upper GI. He also went through the remainder of my pre op expectations: sleep study, psych evaluation, mandatory book, mandatory support group visit. That was 7 months ago and I am being sleeve in just about 18 days.... Time really does fly![/quote']

I was also wondering about the average time or the whole process. 7 months doesn't seem to bad. Good luck on your journey! I bet your excited that your to the point that you can start counting down!

Yes I also have a lot of pre op requirements but its mainly based on your insurance company an what they require. It's a journey for sure a long process of different things that need to be completed. I hope to be done with everything December 1' date=' an hope to have surgery by then end of December. Yay! ;)[/quote']

Good Luck! I'm so impatient at times. I think I will feel better after my visit with the surgeon! :)

I was also wondering about the average time or the whole process. 7 months doesn't seem to bad. Good luck on your journey! I bet your excited that your to the point that you can start counting down!

I had 6 months of PCP supervised weight loss appointments and that took the longest. I had 3/4 of my appts done in the first 30-45 days after meeting the surgeon for the first time. I waited until the month before my last appointment to do everything else, mainly because I got lazy. It took a couple weeks at the most, to get most results. The longest was from my last appt to insurance submission, it took two weeks due to people out of the office etc, and 2 weeks from submission to approval, so 4 weeks from last appt to approval. I could have had my surgery earlier, as soon as a week from approval, but for school that didn't work. Than my surgeon went on vacation for 3 weeks ha ha. So It will be 5 weeks and 1 day from approval to surgery.

I had 6 months of PCP supervised weight loss appointments and that took the longest. I had 3/4 of my appts done in the first 30-45 days after meeting the surgeon for the first time. I waited until the month before my last appointment to do everything else' date=' mainly because I got lazy. It took a couple weeks at the most, to get most results. The longest was from my last appt to insurance submission, it took two weeks due to people out of the office etc, and 2 weeks from submission to approval, so 4 weeks from last appt to approval. I could have had my surgery earlier, as soon as a week from approval, but for school that didn't work. Than my surgeon went on vacation for 3 weeks ha ha. So It will be 5 weeks and 1 day from approval to surgery.[/quote']

Well that doesn't sounds to bad. My husband really wants me to wait until next April so he will have vacation time. Unless it takes that long on get everything done i don't see myself being patient enough to make it until then. Lol

If you have a 6 month supervised diet it takes about 7-8 months (give or take a bit) from start to to surgery.

I had lab work, cardiac clearance, I already had a sleep study 2 years ago or I would have had that, my endoscopy is Tuesday and because my blood is a bit weird I see a hematologist Thursday.

A lot of what the doctor orders is based on health issues you may have or if something is discovered or out of range from other tests performed. My doctor normally orders an EDG. About two weeks before surgery they order a chest x-ray, EKG and blood work. Some doctors order sleep studies, pulmonary tests and stress tests. If you have any type of cardiac problem then they will probably order more than an EKG.

When I had my lap band six years ago, I had to have an EKG, EDG, Stress test, and blood work.

A lot of what the doctor orders is based on health issues you may have or if something is discovered or out of range from other tests performed. My doctor normally orders an EDG. About two weeks before surgery they order a chest x-ray' date=' EKG and blood work. Some doctors order sleep studies, pulmonary tests and stress tests. If you have any type of cardiac problem then they will probably order more than an EKG.

When I had my lap band six years ago, I had to have an EKG, EDG, Stress test, and blood work.[/quote']

Okay thanks! I believe your right. It seems the difference is the individual as well as the surgeon.

I had a sleep study, an EGD (they put you to sleep very briefly and run a scope into your stomach), labs, psych eval, manometer (in the office they run a thin catheter up your nose into your stomach to assess the upper esophageal sphincter strength), pulmonary clearance and cardiac clearance. Yeah!! My process took 8 months and 10 days. But who's counting?;)