Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A warning for pregnant banded mommies

Hello all. I wanted to take a minute to warn you if you are pregnant and vomiting to really be careful. I ended up slipping my band and prolapsing my stomach around my band. My surgeon has removed my band and I am laying here in the hospital thanking God everything went well with the surgery. My baby is doing just fine too. I am 12 weeks along. If you have the band and are having morning sickness, get medicine to keep from being sick. You dont want to go through this, believe me!!!!

((((Leigh Ann))))

Thanks for the info! I am sorry to hear what you had to go through. I hope you are feeling better soon and I am glad you and baby are doing fine! Congrats and best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy.

Leigh Ann,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but am thankful you and the baby are doing well. Thank you also for the update. Please take care!

Sam

Thank you for posting this, I am glad you and your baby are well. I am a midwife in the UK, and have only come across one banded pregnant lady, who,successfully maintained a safe weight loss throughout her pregnancy. Vommitting in early pregnancy is very common, however you should always be caucious about taking anti emetics ( anti sickness ) medication as so few of them are safe in pregnancy. Some women find ginger useful, or travel bands with acupressure points on the wrists, it may also help to have very little meals, but more often, or to try and eat a dry biscuit or dry toast before getting up in the morning.

Congratulations with your pregnancy, and i hope you enjoy the remainder of it.

Tanya xx

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes. I am feeling much better. The anti-nausea medication I am taking was prescribed by my OB so I feel safe taking it. I am having a time from not taking the pain meds from surgery though. I think I am allergic to the medicine. I have been having what feels like panic attacks since I quit taking it. It is getting much better with each day that goes by. I know what not to take after I have my csection though!! Again thanks for the kind words.

I ended up slipping my band and prolapsing my stomach around my band. My surgeon has removed my band

i have the same problem, my surgeon thinks that my band has slipped due

to vommiting from morning sickness but since i cant do the vario test we can't be sure 100% that the band has slipped. Only by the symptomatology we can say this. But i have a question: how did your surgeon removed your band? since you can't be under anaisthesia?

how did your surgeon found for sure that your band had slipped?

I hope thatyou are not in too much discomfort. I noticed that you are 32 weeks along with your pregnancy. That is probably why your doctor doesnt want to do the tests or surgery on you. I was only 12 weeks when I had my surgery. They were able to do an upper GI while protecting my lower abdomen. Also, the anethesiologist were able to leave out a certain drug in the "cocktail" they give you when they put you to sleep. Apparently without this certain drug there is litte or no risk to the baby. I am sorry that you are having problems this late in the game. Are you able to eat anything? Could your doctor possibly do an unfill to give you some relief? Let me know how you are doing. I will be thinking about you.

They were able to do an upper GI

ah so you didn't remove it completely, you just unfastened the band and i guess after pregnancy you will have a new surgery and they will fix it back.. right?

they wanted to do the same to me, but im affraid to have such difficult thing in the 32 weeks.. im affraid that will make me labor too early!

i have not saline inside the band. is completely empty since 3rd month..

so what im doing... patience and im eating only grounded food, milk and juices..

thank you very much for your answer! i wish you a sweet and calm pregnancy!

ps. sorry for my english

No apologies for the English. Where are you from? They did take the band completely out. My doctor talked about just unfastening it but my stomach was too messed up to leave the band around it. It is completely out. The only thing left in is the port. I guess that can stay in there forever with no problem. I think I will leave it in there if it is not necessary to remove it. Take care.