Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to have a realistic picture of what this surgery will mean. I am trying to tally up the worst case scenarios, and maybe they are just the "likely" or "eh...could happen" scenarios.

From what I've learned on vst, here's what I can expect, in stages: (Although everyone is different!)

-Excitement and counting down the days

-Hatred of pre-op diet

-Nervous, scared, possibly terrified

-Sore, nauseous, tired, puking, thirsty

-Low energy,trouble drinking, buyer's remorse

-Dehydration, weeks of nausea

-Sick of Protein Shakes, miss chewing

-Difficult adjustment, missing food as comfort mechanism, depression

-3 week stall, fits and starts, disappointment in slow loss

-Judgment from people who know

-Trial and error of foods, vomiting when intolerant or too much

-Trouble eating in restaurants, missing old life

-hair loss, sagging skin, face looking older

-Encouraging weight gain, adjustment to new life

-Happiness, feeling of accomplishment as getting close to goal

-Realization that battle isn't won, won't ever be "over"

-Dedication and diligence

-Hunger, capacity to eat increases

-Rededication after small regain

-Acceptance that the fight is eternal

I'm the type of person who feels more comfortable having a complete picture of what can happen. I don't want to go into this with rose colored glasses. Any additions? Subtractions? Thoughts? I know that NOT ALL people have all or even some of these. Again -trying to look at possible downsides so I don't get caught up in thinking this is the solution to all life's problems.

this is a good list.. helps your mind prepare for all possibilities... and not feel like the universe is working against you.. I had something similar during pre-op.. :)

one more thing to add.. the possiblity of the dumping syndrome..

Ummm... Death. Not to be a downer but it happens, 3 times here in the last few months.

Two were blood clots, not sure what the third was.

ofcourse!! I had blocked this scenario out of my mind.. :mellow:

Don't forget the sharts! Not to be crass but seriously the first few weeks do not pass gas unless you are already on the potty.

I realize this is a worst case list but know that the almost daily joy of shrinking, lowering medications, gaining mobility and reduction of pain are a huge part of the picture too!

lol- laura ven, i don't think I could be more of a downer than my post - but you pulled it out! the plus size of death is that you'd only have to go through stages 1-3 on my list. ok, that's over the line. sorry.

Keep em coming guys. We all know the happy stuff. it gets repeated often.

lol- laura ven' date=' i don't think I could be more of a downer than my post - but you pulled it out! the plus size of death is that you'd only have to go through stages 1-3 on my list. ok, that's over the line. sorry.

Keep em coming guys. We all know the happy stuff. it gets repeated often.[/quote']

Lol!

I like that you can see the up side of death :P

(Sorry to those that passed my you rest in peace)

:D

It's a great list for surgeries that go well, which is most of them!

But, in cases where it goes wrong, not only is there the whole "risk of death" thing, but there are a bunch of other possible complications. Not that it's something to focus on pre-op, but if you really want to know what you could be getting into, best to cruise the complications forum. A leak could mean months in the hospital. A stricture could mean multiple procedures to dilate. Complications could lead to revision to another surgery. Just something to keep in mind when going over "worst case scenarios."

All the men turning their heads to see your gorgeous new body.

I want to have a realistic picture of what this surgery will mean. I am trying to tally up the worst case scenarios' date=' and maybe they are just the "likely" or "eh...could happen" scenarios.

From what I've learned on vst, here's what I can expect, in stages: (Although everyone is different!)

-Excitement and counting down the days

-Hatred of pre-op diet

-Nervous, scared, possibly terrified

-Sore, nauseous, tired, puking, thirsty

-Low energy,trouble drinking, buyer's remorse

-Dehydration, weeks of nausea

-Sick of Protein shakes, miss chewing

-Difficult adjustment, missing food as comfort mechanism, depression

-3 week stall, fits and starts, disappointment in slow loss

-Judgment from people who know

-Trial and error of foods, vomiting when intolerant or too much

-Trouble eating in restaurants, missing old life

-hair loss, sagging skin, face looking older

-Encouraging weight gain, adjustment to new life

-Happiness, feeling of accomplishment as getting close to goal

-Realization that battle isn't won, won't ever be "over"

-Dedication and diligence

-Hunger, capacity to eat increases

-Rededication after small regain

-Acceptance that the fight is eternal

I'm the type of person who feels more comfortable having a complete picture of what can happen. I don't want to go into this with rose colored glasses. Any additions? Subtractions? Thoughts? I know that NOT ALL people have all or even some of these. Again -trying to look at possible downsides so I don't get caught up in thinking this is the solution to all life's problems.[/quote']

Marital Relationship issues :(

being diagnosed with some other life threatening disease/disorder brought to light because of so many pre-op tests or because of becoming accutely self-aware of how your body is functioning (mine is cancer, and because of the latter reason).

Love that you're doing this...I did my own list (on paper) pre-op. Oh and I love Gilmore Girls and Soukie!

Cost - of both surgery and for those that are not used to buying clean foods. If you're used to buying mostly processed foods, take heed...the cost of veggies, fruits, and healthy meats, can shock your wallet.

Medications - while yes some people do come off their meds, some don't or they may for the first year or so, but then they have to get back on meds.

Loss of friendships - some people will not be able to accept you are doing something positive for yourself, and some will feel jealous you can lose weight while they may not be able to have surgery. Plus, some will feel threated by your new sexy you (both mental and physical).

Painful sex - that has happened to some here.

wasting a lot of food, disinterested in food, extremely active where it starts to affect multiple relationships, you might lose some old friends and gain some new ones, body odor, fatigue

being diagnosed with some other life threatening disease/disorder brought to light because of so many pre-op tests or because of becoming accutely self-aware of how your body is functioning (mine is cancer' date=' and because of the latter reason).[/quote']

Sorry to hear that splatter :(

I wish you well, and I'm sending healing thoughts your way..

Bad breath- I have this all the time and most types of mints and gum make me nauseous. I just try to keep my distance when talking to people :)