Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I failed my gastric sleeve!

My surgery (sleeve) was in September of 2011, by February of 2012 I had lost 60 pounds. I was elated and thrilled. I was offered a job transfer out of state.My husband was able to find full time employment and things were pretty good. But, Then my hubby's contract job ended and after a year he is still unemployed.My brother and Aunt passed away suddenly and my Mom began to have health issues. I found myself turning to food to deal with my anger, depression, sadness and guilt (over moving away). By September of 2012, my weight was back to 195, a 25 pound gain. I was so disappointed in myself and resolved to do better.Today, I find myself at 200 pounds, somewhere that I vowed back on 9/2011 that I would never see again. My Bariatric doctor is in my old state and I don't have a support system here. My husband is graduating from school in September and will hopefully gain employment by October. Things are starting to look up and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But, now I find myself unsure of where to start on getting back on track. Has anyone been in this situation and if so, how did you get yourself out of the rut and get back to using your sleeve and getting the weight off?

I went on the 5:2 diet. It's cured me of my snacking.

you can google it. It's also called the Fast Diet. There's a bunch of us doing it here.

Do you have access to a therapist and nutritionist through your current insurance? I would start there. Nothing is a total failure unless you do absolutely nothing. You are reaching out for help so you have already taken a step in the right direction.

This is not a race.....We are going to have set backs and trouble with maintaining the slimmer us.....There is no reason why you can't get back up on the horse and ride again.....The sleeve is still there...The tools you need are still there...

Plus the fact that you came on here and told the truth about how you are doing.....I give you a lot of credit for that one.....

You can turn things around...You have a lot of people here backing you and what you are doing...Use the forum to express yourself.....

I personally think you have already decided to work on yourself again....Good for you!!!

:)

I went on the 5:2 diet. It's cured me of my snacking.

you can google it. It's also called the Fast Diet. There's a bunch of us doing it here.

I am reading this amazing book right now- downloaded it on my Kindle. The other health benefits of fasting just a couple days a week besides weight loss are an added benefit.

I think just going back to the basics, you don't need to starve yourself with the 5 day pouch test.

Just cut out the carbs and junk. Eat dense Protein and veg, you can still eat as much as you need to feel satisfied. just make sure that its foods that count.

Try reading Kaye Bailey's book the 5 day pouch test, it will help you restart your weight loss. You can purchase the book on her site. Just Google "5 day pouch test". Hang in there ... good luck!

Thank u so much for the support and advice. I am going to try the 5:2 to kick start my journey back. My birthday is next month so I am going to use it as my first goal. A therapist or doctor visit is out until hubby is working -as the bills from my recent surgery are still a struggle right now. I am also going to use fitness pal to track my calories.

SK8RMOM,

You can get it all back, in fact you are well down the road to it. Your mind is set right.

Remember the struggle you had when you were first sleeved, before and after. You went through the unpleasantness and maybe even the pain. You had the courage then, you still have it. In fact, you are wiser now and I say LESS likely to fail. Now you have a built in veteran to see the traps coming for you. You will not sweat the stalls. You know what to do, what not to do.

I would guess your sleeve was not destroyed. It just needs some retraining. The previous posters have given good steering.

Fight for yourself, your life, and your family. Load up your mental and emotional ammunition and win the war.

Reading your post touched me, you are a worthy person. My prayers for you.

The issue isn't the sleeve - it's everything else. That's not a judgement. If anything, it should be reassuring.

Your sleeve is the same size, roughly, that it was around a year out.

So work it. Make that choice to do this. Get those trigger foods out of your life and do the hard work of detoxing so you can get back to basics.

You have a choice here. You can make it count, or not. I do not mean to be hard on you. I want to see you here in six months, having shed a great deal of your regain, reassuring newbies that it can be done.

Losing weight is hard. Eating a strict diet is hard. Forcing ourselves to give up comforting habits is hard. Learning to cope without using food as a crutch is hard. And yes, having emotional and hormonal changes that affect not only the way our bodies hang on to fat but also our desire to eat those foods is also challenging.

You did not slice out 85% of your stomach to be where you were a few years ago and I know that. So pick it up. shake this off and pretend tomorrow is your first day post sleeve on solids and eat accordingly. Track. Measure. Weigh your food. Get starting weight and measurements for yourself. And GET ON TRACK. You can do this. You aren't the only regain post. Do not slink off into the shadows to hide your shame. Get your butt out here, be real, and be a success. Be active here. Get support. Get motivation. And don't beat yourself up unnecessarily. What's done is done. Tomorrow is a fresh opportunity to change the way this story ends.

Good luck,

~Cheri

My surgery (sleeve) was in September of 2011' date=' by February of 2012 I had lost 60 pounds. I was elated and thrilled. So many things were changing in a positive way since my surgery. I was off all meds (blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, triglycerides) and I had more energy and confidence. Maybe due to this, I was offered a job transfer out of state and after much discussion and prayer my family & I made the move. This was over 1,000 miles away and we would be leaving family behind. The work transfer was one of the best decisions I have ever made, gone was the stress and unhappiness I felt in my old job and I was excited to go to work each day. My husband was able to find full time, contract employment and things were pretty good. But, then, things started to take a turn for the worse. My hubby's contract job ended and after a year he is still unemployed. My son's transition school-wise was pretty tough and we spent the first 3 months doing about 3 hours of homework with him each night. My brother and Aunt passed away suddenly and my Mom began to have health issues. Suddenly, I felt every one of those 1,000 miles that I was away from home. We had to downsize to one vehicle and file bankruptcy due to our overwhelming debt that we could no longer maintain on one income. I found myself turning to food to deal with my anger, depression, sadness and guilt (over moving away and maybe causing these issues to surface). By September of 2012, my weight was back to 195, a 25 pound gain. I was so disappointed in myself and resolved to use fitness pal and track all of my food, etc. But, I would yo-yo back and forth. I would have a great day, followed by 2 bad days, and so on and so forth. I had an emergency hysterectomy in May 2013 and now have hot flashes, cravings and mood swings to add to my unhappiness. Today, I find myself at 200 pounds, somewhere that I vowed back on 9/2011 that I would never see again. I find myself searching through the closet on work days trying to find something that fits, something that will hide the things I don't like about myself. I find that I am constantly changing my hair style and hair color, maybe cause those are easier to change. But, I am never happy with them. My Bariatric doctor is in my old state and I don't have a support system here or a group I can attend. I am dreading going home for Christmas this year as everyone will clearly see that I have failed my surgery. My son is doing well in school now, making the A honor roll and really enjoying school. My husband is graduating from school in September and will hopefully gain employment by October. Things are starting to look up and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But, now I find myself unsure of where to start on getting back on track. I tried to do the 5 day pouch test and felt like I was starving to death day 1, so by that night I was back to eating regularly. I am scared of not doing something and continuing to watch the weight return but I am also scared of trying again and failing. Has anyone been in this situation and if so, how did you get yourself out of the rut and get back to using your sleeve and getting the weight off?[/quote']

Start as if your were doing your two week liquid diet. Then repeat each stage clear, full liquids then on to soft and purée. Then keep a food and activity log.

First - YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE, nor did your sleeve fail you. Seems you know what you did to gain back this weight and what triggers caused this.

Life will always have up and downs. Once you conquer this may I suggest some counseling to help you deal with any future triggers? No more yoyo dieting. Chose wisely and you will be back - amazing yourself.

I repeat - you are not a failure. Getting back on track will see that scale going back in the right direction. Hugs to you for being so courageous to post.

I'm struggling to get my mi d set back. Sleeved oct 2012 and down only 50 pounds. I feel like food is running me and I'm eating what I want to eat. I should not be satisfied with a 50 pound weight loss at this point. I need support and coaching. Cancelled my 10 month visit with my doctor cause I felt he would chastise me. Afraid to go back. Help....