Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon trying to talk me into band.

Please go to another doctor! There has to be someone you can go too!!

I had a consult with a surgeon and he's trying to talk me into the band. Given my bmi is only 36, He thinks I will loose a great amount of weight and become malnourished. I believe there are other reason for his push on the band. Like follow ups and the fills, means more . I over heard him through the wall, to the room next to mine, trying to push the band on another patient. Should I give the band a try first then have revision later if it fails?? So stressed over this!

I have had the band for five years and for about the first 2 1/2 it worked great. I am finishing my final process to have a revision to the sleeve. Because my complications with the band are becoming so unbearable! I am actually on an all starch diet due to gastritis which I have NEVER had in my life. Now with these last few weeks constant diarrhea and dry heaves are horrible and make u feel dizzy!

Honestly I would choose the sleeve first if I knew what I know now. Aftercare is set up for any and everything required. You don't even come in till you feel you need it.

Why put yourself through two surgeries the sleeve was the newest option When I got my band five years ago

Chat With me privately if you want to keep talking about it

Thank you for your concerns and replies. I've taken it to heart. I'm still searching for another DR. :)

Please for your health Run to another doctors office that does the sleeve procedure that will take your insurance. Also sign a release form and have all your pre-op medical forms sent to them. You will be grateful you did. Many of us have had the band myself included and I would never suggest the lapband. I reason alone is the failure rate and the other is many doctors do not use a xray or florascopic view, to see how much your lapband is adjusted so to be honest they the doctors stab the needle in your port and guess, they guess how much Fluid they put in your band for restriction and they guess how restrictive it is. All these guessing games are not put out for public knowledge and unless you demand to go to a radiologist and have a view of what is Really Happening with your port and the lapband adjustment you really are trusting the doctors. I found out by insisting my doctor send me to a radiologist. It was then I i decided to keep strong my own doctor records. I found out my lapband adjustments because they couldnt hide the records they were right in front of me. My last fill was 9cc in a 11cc band, six months later I only had 3cc, I saw the needle and it said 3cc I used to a MA. The assistant showed me the syringe the radiologist lied and said it had 4cc. Either way it leaked, no wonder 4 years of adjustments and guessing I have a leak.

Please save yourself alot of heart ache and go to another doctor!

I have the band and I have had it 5 years ... I HATE it! I still feel hungry and I don't get a full feeling I get a stuck feeling!

I have had port replaced and I had to have band replaced too! I never lost more than 25-30 pounds. And after reading band to sleeve revisions on this site and all. Their problems I am having my band removed and checking into the sleeve myself. If had to do again I would have done sleeve to begin with. Plus consider the cost long term ... The band requires office visiting and fills every 4-6 WEEKS until goal is met IF it gets met and that cool take over a year. Very expensive! It adds up!

Sleeve after your post op you will follow up every 6 months I believe. :)

Get another opinion ... It may be you are too small for surgery

I know my answer will be biased but I was so completely miserable and sick with the band. I had 2 surgeries after I had it put in. I think I suffered needlessly for months. I have many personal friends that have had Lapband. Of the ones I know, they either had it removed due to complications or just haven't had much luck with weight loss. When I lost on Lapband I did lose quite a bit but I also worked out 5-6 days a week of very strenuous exercise. Either way I'm so anti-Lapband!!