Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I'm 11 days post op. I'm losing fine and I am feeling better every day. BUT, I cannot get the Protein in. I'm struggling to get 25 to 30 grams a day. I wake up feeling great, then I have some protein and start feeling nauseous immediately. My stomach hurts, I suffer around and belch a lot, generally feel like crap and then it goes away. I decide I have to try to get some protein in and the whole process starts over. I went for my follow up at the surgeons office and the nurse practitioner said, "I don't know what to tell you. You just have to do it." Well. That was helpful. I've tried several shakes, Greek yogurt mixed with some Protein Powder, pudding mixed with protein powder, Soups with added powdered milk. I'm at a loss. Am I going to shrivel into a hairless flabby ball bc I'm not getting all my protein in? Is this "normal"? Will it improve? Ack!!!

By the way, thin things with no protein don't upset my stomach. I can drink like a champ, eat Popsicles, and tolerate several types of Soup with little to no problems.

All I can say is that it does get better. At 7 1/2 months that is a distant memory for me. I remember that for me it was about 3 weeks it seemed to be a sudden improvement. You are doing everything right to try to sneak more in when you can.

What kind of Protein are using? You may have lactose intolerance (very common post-op and usually goes away in a few months). Try the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein powder. It was the only thing I could tolerate at first.

Lynda

Yes, things will get better. Its still pretty early for you. You gotta just keep at it. If the Protein Shakes are making you nauseous, try the Protein Water. Something called Isopure protein. It will help you with both you're fluids & protein. Hang in there though, it will definitely get better.

Have you tried the Isopure clear ? It is like koolaid with 40 g Protein. I say try that since you can do thin liquids ok.

Btw the mental image of a shriveled hairless ball made me giggle ;)

I just got the Isopure banana Flavored Protein Powder and it is really good. If you mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of skim milk twice a day, it will give you about 65 grams of protein. They do have other flavors, but the banana one is really good.

I love my Protein Drinks. I buy the Premier Protein that is ready to drink. I also like muscle milk light. My stomach still hurts and I'm 4 months out. It has gotten better. Hang in there :)

I have figured out I'm lactose and whey intolerant right now. I bought a soy Protein and a brown rice protein. I had the soy tonight for the first time and I did great. No pain, nausea or diarrhea. Thank God.

I couldn't handle whey Protein, so I switched to egg protein and tolerate it well.

Td, I am so thankful you posted that!!!!! You are the first person besides me who has said that. The doctors office was rude and acted like I was crazy, but I know my body. It was saying no very clearly. How did your doctor respond? My brother told me about the egg Protein and I asked at GNC, but the guy said it was high in cholesterol. Have you had any problems? I may try that too.

I use Jay Robb egg Protein in chocolate flavor. I haven't had any problems with it, it has been the only one that I have been able to tolerate. I hope you find one that works for you.