Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just beginning my journey

Hi everyone!! I just discovered this site and I am very excited. I am still in the research phase of my weight loss journey. I have been to a few information seminars, read a few books and have my initial surgical consultation in 2 weeks. I was hoping some of you might share why you chose the sleeve as opposed to the other wls options out there. I was originally 100% sure I was going to get the band, but now I am about 50-50 with band or sleeve. It will come down to the doctor's recommendation and what insurance says. But I was hoping some of you could share how you made your decisions so it might help me. Thanks!!

Hi, Welcome! :) The main reason for having the surgery done for me was trying to reduce the damage that diabetes was going to have on my body. For that, we're directed usually more towards the sleeve or bypass surgery. Personally I was not very comfortable with the thought of my intestines getting rerouted, so I went with the sleeve.

I know someone who had the lap band done. It was originally what I thought that I would do. They did lose weight, but slowly & not very much. They seem to have more issues eating things like bread & certain fruits than I do. Also, when I discussed it with my surgeon, he said that there complications further down the line with lap band. It's fairly common to see people on the forum that had the band done & are switching.

I originally was going to do the band too.. but the more I looked at it and researched it.. the more I found I could cheat so much on it.. I needed something permanent... so I changed to the sleeve.. I am so glad that I did... its been 7mo and ive lost 106 lbs... im 30lbs from my goal... and happy I got the sleeve... so many great things have happened.... Im no longer the big girl. I fit in normal clothes.. I dont need an extra belt on the plane. I can fit in a booth... I can go on amusement park rides.. ride a horse on a tour in Hawaii... I couldnt before because I weighed too much. so things are great.. I got to buy new clothes.. more than once cuz I keep shrinking.. but hey thats a good thing.. best of luck with your new journey... its the ride of a life time. :)

Got the band in 2010. It slipped a year later, and I lived with chronic vomiting for 2 years before my insurance would cover it's removal (switched jobs twice in that time frame). I was sleeved in 2013.

Knowing what I know now? I never would have gotten the LapBand - I was just reading an article that states LapBand's complication rate is 50% now. With a number that high? Oh, hell no.

I just joined this site too. I think my surgery will be in early October. I still have 2 nut. Visits and blood wrk to go. I'll also be having hital hernia surgry at same time.

I chose the lap band in 08, I don't recall the sleeve even bring an option but I did not want the by-pass due to long term complications. I'm now in the process of having the band removed (surgery date is 8/27) and I will be sleeved some months later. I didn't have bad complications like some banders did, but weight loss has been slow and the band is somewhat frustrating (for me). You have to go in regularly to have a fill or un fill, if insurance doesn't cover that its $250 a pop. If you get the flu, you must go to the ER to have the band unfilled. My research had shown that many people have the band removed about 5-6 years out due to complications like erosion or slippage. Its a foreign object that your body tries to reject. Definitely do your research and choose what you feel best about. Good luck!

Hi, I am in the researching process too. I go to my first seminar the end of the month. I have read several people on this site alone have gone from band to sleeve. (yikes) So far I am headed toward the sleeve. But like I said, I am still looking into everything, and scared about the 1 st month after eating all the strained /blended / mushy foods. OMG, I dont know if I can do this. BUt I am at more than 50% BMI. I have got to do something. :)

Hi' date=' I am in the researching process too. I go to my first seminar the end of the month. I have read several people on this site alone have gone from band to sleeve. (yikes) So far I am headed toward the sleeve. But like I said, I am still looking into everything, and scared about the 1 st month after eating all the strained /blended / mushy foods. OMG, I dont know if I can do this. BUt I am at more than 50% BMI. I have got to do something. :)[/quote']

Hi Maggie, no matter which surgery you choose, there's a strict post op to follow. The fortunate thing is, you really don't have an appetite during that recovery. I think people with the band have more of an appetite during that recovery because for us a band was placed , the doc was in and out. (In most cases) the sleeve and bypass are a little more intense to the area and those I know with either of those surgeries just didn't care for food at all and the post op diet wasn't so hard. At any rate, it is a huge challenge of the mind so the best advice I can give is get as mentally prepared as possible. Pre-op, you with "withdrawal" (so to speak) from food and it was be rough but we all get through it somehow. Once you get through that its easier to adjust to having a newer, healthier mind set about food. Good luck!