Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I having the problem of not being able to drink Post-op

Hi all, well I'm 4 days post- op and I've had better days. I am constantly feeling full. I can't seem to get hardly any fluids down. Maybe a sip ( not even a full 1 oz and I feel like I'm going to pop.) I have a surgical drain. It seems to feel better each day , the pain is better, just slowly.

I'm open to help / ideas. Has anyone else experienced this discomfort. I'm never hungry but more than that I can't even seem to force it down. I have to eat..... Help.

What are you trying to drink? The first few days I could not get Water down but when I.mixed it with some apple juice it went down much easier. How about warm chicken broth? I was also able to get down the Premier Protein chocolate drink and sugar free ice pops went down super easy . Try different things....very soon, you need to stay hydrated.

Try some warm liquids. They seemed to go down better for me.

What are you trying to drink? The first few days I could not get Water down but when I.mixed it with some apple juice it went down much easier. How about warm chicken broth? I was also able to get down the Premier Protein chocolate drink and sugar free ice pops went down super easy . Try different things....very soon' date=' you need to stay hydrated.[/quote']
Try some warm liquids. They seemed to go down better for me.

Thank you Michele H and Healthiernewme. So far I have been trying to drink Water, muscle mike, broth, Atkins shakes and Popsicles. It seems as soon as I swallow it ( little sips) it's almost painful. So I've taken it slow. I did try the liquids at room temperature and that did help some.

I just constantly feel full and have no desire for food or liquid of any kind. I make myself sip, but after about 1-2oz I'm full for hours. This can't be a good thing. I crush my medication and take that with 1oz of Fluid. I could once take one bite out of a Popsicle. I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday. I loosing weight but not the right way :(

Light fruit juices are good. Also use the broth of Soups like chicken noodle' date=' veg beef, etc. it tastes better than plain broth. Go slowly. Sip, sip, sip all day. Good luck[/quote']

Thank you Sherilarae. I am going to sip, sip, sip slowly all day. I never thought I would have the problem of getting food / liquid in me. Someone told me that my insides are still swollen and things will get better. I can't wait for that day ????

I kept ice chips in my mouth and swallowed as it melted. I got lots of Water in that way without feeling like i had an enormous burp behind each one like with sipping.

Thank you 2x4NoMore I will try that also. It's also a good way of keeping track of my fluids.

Thank you Michele H and Healthiernewme. So far I have been trying to drink Water, muscle mike, broth, Atkins shakes and Popsicles. It seems as soon as I swallow it ( little sips) it's almost painful. So I've taken it slow. I did try the liquids at room temperature and that did help some.

I just constantly feel full and have no desire for food or liquid of any kind. I make myself sip, but after about 1-2oz I'm full for hours. This can't be a good thing. I crush my medication and take that with 1oz of Fluid. I could once take one bite out of a Popsicle. I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday. I loosing weight but not the right way :(

You are only 4 days post op, your insides are swollen. I was just like you for the first 2 or 3 days home. When I watched TV I watched the clock and every 5 minutes took a small sip, after a few days I was able to sip every 3 minutes. I am 12 days post op now and I can drink a whole 16.9 oz water bottle within an hour or less. Oh yeah.....and walk, even if you do not want to, it keeps things moving, making more room for your liquids.

You are only 4 days post op' date=' your insides are swollen. I was just like you for the first 2 or 3 days home. When I watched TV I watched the clock and every 5 minutes took a small sip, after a few days I was able to sip every 3 minutes. I am 12 days post op now and I can drink a whole 16.9 oz Water bottle within an hour or less. Oh yeah.....and walk, even if you do not want to, it keeps things moving, making more room for your liquids.[/quote']

Thank you again. This sounds like BINGO to me. I was wondering if something went wrong in the OR. Thank you so much for yours and everyone's advice and encouragement. I think my next few days are going to be better ones.

Everyone, thank you soooo much !!!

I will keep you updated. ( Big Smile)

Hi all' date=' well I'm 4 days post- op and I've had better days. I am constantly feeling full. I can't seem to get hardly any fluids down. Maybe a sip ( not even a full 1 oz and I feel like I'm going to pop.) I have a surgical drain. It seems to feel better each day , the pain is better, just slowly.

I'm open to help / ideas. Has anyone else experienced this discomfort. I'm never hungry but more than that I can't even seem to force it down. I have to eat..... Help.

[/quote']

Warm broth!!!!!!! With unflavored Protein ;)

Unjury chicken flavored Protein mix. That has been my lifesaver. Heat a coffee cup of Water 60 seconds and add one scoop. Goes down smooth. My doctors office sells it but you can find it online. Read the directions-it's important to not get your water too hot or it clumps up.

unjury chicken flavored Protein mix. That has been my lifesaver. Heat a coffee cup of Water 60 seconds and add one scoop. Goes down smooth. My doctors office sells it but you can find it online. Read the directions-it's important to not get your Water too hot or it clumps up.

Thank you Kimberlyu. I will look it up on line tonight and order some. Thanx again.

I second what everyone else has told you. I used a clock and took super tiny sips all the time, with the goal of drinking 1 oz. every 15 minutes while I was awake. I drank from a shot glass and used a 1 cup liquid measuring cup like a pitcher. I drank everything room temp at first, but everyone is different. Another thing I liked very early out is Sleepy Time Tea.

Lynda