Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Bandsters 2003 Update!!!

hey i thought it would be fun to see how far we have all came in the past year! i am going to wait till the 18th my surgery date to respond so hopefully i can loose a few more!

if you have progress pics... ATTACH THEM!!!

pre-op weight lost:

day of surgery weight:

1 year post weight:

total fills:

total fill amount:

ever been filled to tight?

ever vomited when restricted? how was it?

any complications?

do you think your to tight? to loose or just right?

longest plateau?

how often do you exercise?

Good idea to get some updates!

Before weight: 251

Current weight: 195

Fills: I think I've had about 3 which took me up to 1.5cc. I had excellent restriction at that.

Complications: A possible complication about six weeks ago when I began having a lot of things stuck and PBing a lot. This could have been because of bad behavior, but I checked with the nurse just in case. She thought it was a slipped band. But she did no diagnostic test to verify this so it is really just a theory of hers. I was unfilled and now am partially re-filled to 1.3cc.

Restriction: I have slight restriction. I have an appointment on Thursday for a fill back to 1.5 cc.

Longest plateau: It's probably been several months since I've lost weight. That is because I'm not trying and I'm eating the wrong things. But at least I haven't gained. I have set Thursday as the day I am going to re-dedicate myself to weight loss.

Exercise: I've been pretty good about it. I didn't start exercising right away, but once I started, I've been pretty regular about it.

I try to do the treadmill or ride my bike every day. I do both in moderation: I walk about 1.75 miles on the treadmill and I ride about 6 miles on the bike. Nothing too strenous, but I really think it helped me lose and has helped me to avoid gaining even when I wasn't following the eating rules too well.

I've never actually vomited (as opposed to PBing) since getting the band.

I guess in summary I can say that in the past year my body has become much more healthy, but my mind is still prone to turn to food for all the wrong reasons. I am working on this with a therapist.

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing.

Nancy

Great idea for a thread !

My 1 year out is 26th August... hopefully I can have some more weight off by then!

Looking forward to the other posts !

Aud x

pre-op weight lost: 5 lbs

day of surgery weight: 257

1 year post weight: 207

total fills: 3

total fill amount: one Dr. said 2.0 -- another told me he took out 3.0

ever been filled to tight? yes

ever vomited when restricted? how was it? yes... not sure how to answer second half of that question!

any complications? yes...gas, reflux, vomiting...slipped band

do you think your to tight? to loose or just right? n/a -- no fill (so it's safe to say i'm too loose!)

longest plateau? right now...since all fill removed 6/21 gained 8 lbs, but steady the past three-four weeks, including a vacation week, so I'm actually pretty proud of my plateau.

how often do you exercise? 3-4 times a week...

haven't scheduled re-placement surgery yet...

despite my complications, i'd do it again!

Elizabeth

8-28-03

It's my one year bandiverary on the 14th and I know I need a fill. Besides being on a plateau I've been eating all sort of things I couldn't a month ago (maybe I could have then but I'm trying now) Restriction is minimal. So I'm looking at getting a fill late August.

Band Type: AMI (J&J) SAGB

3 Fills, I should be at 5.7cc's, Last Fill was in last January.

Preband Now

weight 244 180

size 18/20 12/14

Exercise, Does chasing kids count? I do walk allot and occasionally ride the lifecycle.

Pics soon to come, I'll be on Vacation for a while .

Congratulation to the August babies

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Glad to see this thread started...good thinking Shelly!

My pre-op weight was 265.

Surgery Date 8/19/03

One year post weight 208.

I've had 3 fills, totalling 2.0cc's.

No complications, never filled too tight, actually I was getting ready to go have another fill in May since I had been at a 2 month plateau, then found out I was pregnant. So far everything with the pregnancy is good. I havent had to have my fills taken out since I'm eating enough. They're keeping close tabs on how well the baby is growing and developing and everything looks perfect so far. I'm about 4 1/2 months pregnant. I haven't gained a pound!!! My OBGYN isn't worried about it though. She says I don't need to gain any weight as long as the baby is growing. So as soon as the baby is born I'm going for another fill. I've lost almost 60 pounds and I can't wait to lose the other 40.

By the way, ShellyJ you look amazing!!!!! I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to be able to say that I've lost 100 pounds!

Congratulations, Brandi!!

This thread has been reassuring to me because I see that those of you who started at or around my weight have lost very close to the same amount I have.

Thanks again, Shelly, for the idea!

Nancy

thanks everyone for all your info! i think it will be helpful for new bandsters to see waht they might expect in a year!

mine is coming on the 18th!

michelle

I'll probably be posting a "bandiversary" post on the 20th, but in the meantime I'll stick my answers to this poll here as well.

if you have progress pics... ATTACH THEM!!!

See thread called "A Chance to Compare"

pre-op weight lost:

In the year before surgery, I lost 30 lbs. Then I got a surgery date and in the next two months gained 7 on the last-supper diet.

day of surgery weight:

317. My highest non-pregnancy weight was 340, about a year before surgery.

1 year post weight:

253 today.

total fills:

3 fills so far

total fill amount:

Don't know, don't care. A little more than last time.

No, although restriction has taken me by surprise sometimes days or weeks after a fill. But it's never been uncomfortably tight.

I have PB'd five or six times. It's very unpleasant, but not painful, nor is any nausea involved. Once it's over, I felt fine.

any complications?

No, thanks be. Everything has been smooth as silk! (Knock wood.)

All three. I'm a little too tight in the mornings, lunch time is perfect, and a little too loose in the evenings. But that's just life with the band. :rolleyes:

longest plateau?

I normally stall for three or four weeks at a time and then lose several pounds at once. If I worried about plateaus I'd have been hauled off to the funny farm long ago.

For the last 6-7 months I've been working out regularly three or so times a week.

Pre-Op Weight - 276-280 lbs

1 Year - 226lbs

I don't have access to my BMI now.

Do it again? ABSOLUTELY.

I have 4.5 cc in a 4cc band and I am minimumly restricted. I have to watch what I eat.

I started exercising in Sept. 03 and have really kicked it in gear the last 3 months. I run 15 miles a week outside with 2 30 minute elipticle cardio sessions inside along with 3 weight training sessions a week. I have increased my muscle mass quite a bit as I have went so the scale isn't the only tale here. I am or I feel I am straddle of the fence right now. In the next 6 months I plan to see huge improvements. Huge. I am getting my final counsel on doing dental (Vaneers)-?? on 8/25/04 I hope I can afford it. This will be the finishing touches on my journey to health and happiness. I have always been happy by the way but feeling good looking well thats just different and I know you all know what I mean!!

The one thing I want to stress is empty calories and lack of exercise. If you want to take this in stride you have made a decision to change your life from now on. It isn't a rose garden nor easy it still takes some work so hit it wide open (if your health permits)!! Alchahol(mixed drinks), shakes, Sweet juices and Protein Drinks high calories no bulk!!!

I eat oatmeal for Breakfast with an Ezekial Wheat germ and sprout pice of toast(this bread is awesome) In the freezer section of your health food section. I use a tablespoon of honey for sweets.

I'm hooked on putting chicken breast(boneless and skinless) in the crockpot for hours, then having shredded chkin on hand to eat. You can do it many ways now!!

ENOUGH!!! Good luck to all. This board has been a tremendous help by the way. I am here for any of you who needs help!!

My Bandiversary is on the 26th of August - but I thought i'd add here for now !

day of surgery weight:

375 My highest weight was January 2004 - I weighed 390

1 year post weight:

254 today.

total fills:

6 - 4 fills & 2 slight unfills

total fill amount:

3.5 mls

Yes twice - once I couldn't eat more than 2 mouthfulls & got a wee 1/2 ml out

& the other I was up at night choking/coughing in my sleep - got another 1/2 ml out

I've never been "sick" - but i've PB'd - several times !

any complications?

none so far ! apart from being too tight - all's been well !

I'm probably a little too loose just now - I think a teeny bit more in should do the trick (I hope ! lol)

longest plateau?

5 - 6 weeks - was HARD to handle ! took me ALL my time to not sabotage the band and start eating crap again !

I didn't excersize regularly at all - the odd time going to aerobix & aqua aerobix - but 2 weeks ago I joined a gym & I'm loving it ! (it also stopped the 3 week plateau that I had ! :rolleyes: )

My one year anniversary will be Aug 21, 2004

Weight lost: Started at 282, I got down to 232, but, I have gained 10 pounds. (yes, you can gain weight with the lap band lol)

I have a bone spur on my left foot that has really hindered my excercise. I have started biking which has helped take the pressure off my foot, and I enjoy it so, I hope I can start losing weight again.

I have had 3 fills, and one slightly unfill, because I was too tight.

PBing-It depends on how you describe PBing. Out and out throwing up. About 4 times. Spitting up food that hasn't gone down about twice a week. I try my best to be patient and not spit it up.

Would I do it again?? I am not sure. Maybe not if I am being honest. Granted I wasn't losing weight the old way, but, it is hard for me to eat meats so I feel limited in the foods I can eat, and bad food goes down great unfortunately.

I am very self conscious about my scars too, they turned into keiloids, so, even after a year, they are very visible.

Longest plateau?? I am on it now. 3 months. I actually have been gaining lately, maybe it is muscle lol. I have been depressed lately though, and had been getting into my bad old habits. I find if I eat a healthy breakfast, I will stay that way for the rest of the day.

Any set backs? Only set back for me was having too tight of a fill and waiting too long to get it taken out. This was bad for me in two ways........First, I had a tendency to PB, and also, it made me start on the path of eating bad foods which I hadn't done prior to the too tight fill. My advice if you have this situation...........don't wait to get an unfill.

pre-op weight lost: 25 pounds

day of surgery weight: 325

1 year post weight: 222

total fills: 10+++

total fill amount: 3.4

ever been filled to tight? not even close!

ever vomited when restricted? how was it? never vomited. i have pb'd probably 10 times.

any complications? i had problems getting restriction, the fill Fluid was getting stuck in the port and not traveling to the band. it was fixed without surgery.

do you think your to tight? to loose or just right? i would say to loose by just a smidge. i have to super diligent about the WAY i eat because if eat out of order i can eat quite a bit more than when i eat my protien first.

longest plateau? 1 month

how often do you exercise? i dont have a regular exercise program i am just more active. MUCH more active!