Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're you ever thin before surgery?

Like I've told others... I was born weighing 9 lbs 6 oz and been heavy since. I was the kid the other kids called "earthquake" throughout elementary school and then the kid they always had to order bigger band uniforms for and finally after losing 50 lbs then gaining back 65 lbs then losing those just to gain back 100 all in the last decade I've decided to be sleeved.

I was very thin as a kid. I can remember saying I weighed more than I did on my 1st drivers license so I wasn't smaller than my friends. my second year in college, i gained a bit, but was easily able to take it off by watching what i ate.

I stayed stayed thin(under 125) with minimal effort until I divorced my first husband and began taking paxil - I was 30. I didn't gain much weight, but found it was suddenly much easier to gain. I remarried in my mid 30s and probably weighed 135, but didnt mind because i gained most of it in my boobs. After having two kids I never lost the weight and I kept getting heavier and heavier. I'm now sitting about 230.

I believe paxil and having kids contributed to my weight gain, but know that my real problem is poor eating habits.

I was an all star athlete! You name it, I did it. I graduated at 108 lbs, 5'2, and a lot of knee issues due to basketball, softball, track nd flag football. I even did nd won 2 pageants. But I always felt too skinny, I wud wear shorts under my pants to make them tighter and belts too bc I had such a small waist. I hated it. Then went to college, got up to 118, did a pageant there as well. Graduated and started work as a respiratory therapist, gained weight bc of the way I started eating bc of my long shifts. I got up to 128 and was happy at that weight but wanted muscles, so started lifting. Got married and had my baby girl. Was on bed rest for 8/9 mths, gained 60 lbs w her. Had her, cudn shed the weight, horrible divorce...sorry human being, my father cheated on mom, sister ran away bc she got pregnant b4 married, life sucked. We then opened a family restaurant tryn to repair our messed up family, mom had bck surgery, almost died, I lost down to 145. I started playing coed softball, met new hubby, mom nd dad divorced after 36 yrs, she moved in w hubby, daughter nd myself, they had ugly divorce, I gained bck to 175. I started bck at hospital, put myself threw massage therapy school, graduated, gained to 200, started my own business, got pregnant again, gained to 220, again 100 per bedrest. Moved to New home, hubby adopted my first daughter, hubby went into military, moved to sc for nuke school, hated it, gained to 248.8. Dieting a lot by the way. Had a hard time in sc, moved to fl, then stationed to va but on the stop to c my mom in Alabama from fl, she was diagnosed w stage 4 lung cancer. I wanted to die!! I stayed bck nd took her to tx, loss Down to 171. That was.from 2007-2010. She went into remission, praise God, such a strong woman. I moved to va at 190. Moms cancer spread to brain in 2012, went home, then spread to spine, paralyzed her. So I went home to take care of her bc she lived alone, I watched her take her last breath last Oct, I thot I died too. It's still bad but I can hear her telling me to stop hurting myself nd finally help myself. I'm at 235, 5'3 nd I love nd miss my mom, but finally decided to start fighting for me nd living. I gained 30 lbs from last Oct to now, 3 knee surgeries...need double total knee, nd comorbs started creeping in. Her bday is August 5 th, nd I told her that I will make her proud nd choose to live. So gla of us on this journey. Thx for reading. I'm still presleeve but I will say this...I'll never complain of being to skinny again, if I ever get there!! Congrats to u all pre nd post:)

Ps...my driver's license still says 118 nd I refuse to change it unless I'm lower. Lol;)

I was thin until child #3 then my hormones went wacko they took my thyroid out and ever since then I have never been able to lost more then five lbs at a time . Since being sleeved I have lost slowly at 4.5 months I have lost close to 37. I am 3 lbs from a "healthy" weight and feel incredible most days.

I always was heavier than my BMI said I should be. I was larger than most of my friends growing up, but I was taller. Looking back, I was barely overweight at the time, but family and friends did make comments and I felt huge. So yeah, I have been battling my weight my entire life since I was about 7 or 8 and my parents put me in a 'shape down' program.

I've been overweight since I was around 4, never in my life have I ever been thin.

I have always battled with weight. Never a skinny kid for sure. I have lost and gained a couple hundred pounds in the last 30 years or so. My highest was about 243. Got down to 135 for a couple of years and then had another baby and then a complete hysterectomy at only 28, after that I gained up to 243 again and lost and gained some more. Sleeved 3/6 at 220 now at 178. I can't wait to get to goal of 130, I am 5'2. I would be happy though once I at least hit 150, I wore a size 8 last time I was at that weight. Size 12 right now, I just want to be in single digits :)

I got my first period when I was 12, and it was around that time that I started gaining weight. I gained enough weight to worry my doctor, and I was tested for thyroid and everything else under the sun when I was 13/14. They only found a 'slight' thyroid issue, and it wasn't enough to medicate. I remember being 195 in high school(still only 5'3" :() . In the mandatory weight class we had to take, I was the only one paired with a boy, because there were no girls close to my weight. I'm 27 now, 4 years from a 'real' diagnosis of Graves disease and finally regulated on synthroid. I've been overweight since puberty, so I have no idea what I'll look like after my October 23rd surgery. I can't wait to find out!

I was always skinny until puberty hit when I was 12. Then the boobs popped out and the hips spread. To me it was great. I never tracked my weight as a teenager. I was about average size and able to wear whatever I wanted. Once I became an adult my life was less active n I gained weight. Even with the weight gain I was able to meet the army standards. I was 140 and my height is 5'5. After that I gained weight over the yrs and had to struggle to stay under 150 for the military guidelines. A few yrs ago I got deployed and a lot of things happen that I'll never be able to talk about. Once I got home I became a recluse. The weight piled on and I was too depressed to care. Slowly I came out of denial n tried to lose weigh. I never thought it would be so hard to exercise and lose weight once your over 50 lbs. Now I'm hoping with WLS I'll have the extra tool to help me.

I do not think I was ever thin. Maybe for like 10 minutes after I was born. Seriously, most of my early life was chubby. I remember getting picked on or bullied in elementary school. Middle school was the worst bullying and actually was the start of my dieting career and head issues (depression and anxiety). I tried everything back then. My first real success was in 7th grade and I was able to diet and run off 70 lb. This was pretty substantial and my parents paid me 2 dollars a lb. I felt pretty good at the end of summer. Weight slowly crept up in high school and through college, but I did have my ups and downs. My first real weight loss success came back in 2005 when Atkins was popular. I lost 100 lb on it and thought eating high fat, as in egg and sausage (no bisquit) from MCD for Breakfast and a triple hamburger with cheese (no bun) from Wendy's was actually pretty good. I excelled at low carb dieting. I then gained it all back plus some over a couple years. My next success was WW in 2007. I lost 90 lb and loved getting all the rewards and losing 5 lbs a week. I then got lazy after 6 months and reverted back to junk and sugar. I did Atkins all the time after that but could never get it started again. I did south beach, hypnosis ( what a waste of money) and a dozen other diet attempts. Fast forward to 2012 and I had the sleeve. It has been 12 months since surgery and I reached goal about at month 7. The weight has stayed off and I have been focused on being fit and eating well. So yes, I have 35 some years experience with being fat and probably 30 years of some diet or another. It is pretty sad how being fat has made my personal life miserable. I feel like so many years of my life were lost to the sickness of obesity. Time to make up for lost time! I am now very fit at healthy BMI and dedicated to health, fitness and vitality for myself. I want to help others if they ask for advice on VST, family or people I run into out and about. Every day continues to be a good experience and has meaning.

I have always been heavy. That a what I think, but I believe I was a normal size till grade 4. I won't go into details, but I spent the next 5 years enduring abuse and the food was all I had. I stuck to it and destroyed my life. Now nearing 40, been over 400lbs for 20 years. Not sure how to emotionally deal with being smaller. I guess I have some time till I get there, but it will be weird and wonderful I am sure:)

Many blessings,

And good luck with your journeys

Congratulations to all who made a commitment to turn their lives around. While outsiders may view this as "the easy way out," we know that's the farthest thing from the truth.

I am so impressed with how we all keep trudging on, fighting the good fight, working with our new tool, and dropping the dead weight. It reminds me of when I had cancer. I found it hard/impossible to believe there were better, healthier days ahead.

It's hard to believe in something that hasn't yet happened. But all of you help me and each other to believe in miracles. Thanks for being on this journey with me.

I haven't been thin since I was nine. Depression and a demanding desk job meant I gained 10 pounds a year for the last 14 years. I have had enough! So excited to be normal for once.

Never, always a little chunky. Hopefully that will change! Sleeved 5/29