Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going through a very stressful time at work and am falling back into old coping habits...Food

Can't seem to stop shoving crap in my mouth and its killing me. Not a complete off the wagon gorge myself, but I snack on "stuff" all day. Very down on myself about it. Just felt like telling my friends.

Going through a very stressful time at work and am falling back into old coping habits...Food

Can't seem to stop shoving crap in my mouth and its killing me. Not a complete off the wagon gorge myself, but I snack on "stuff" all day. Very down on myself about it. Just felt like telling my friends.

Its ok, sometimes it gets hard and we can fall back on what we are familiar with and is comfortable. But the good thing is you know what to do to get back on track. You dont have to feel bad about what you are going through but dont allow yourself to get stuck in it. Find good snackable food so that at least if you are going to snack its healthy. I am a stress eater sometimes and I know that I have to have healthy things around me and at work to make sure the first choice to put in my mouth is a good choice. It will be ok and we are here for you. :D

I can relate! It's tough to not slip back into old habits and comforts.

I think acknowleding that bad day or week or whatever and then moving on is important. I mean, you can't take it back so there's no point in dwelling on it and letting the stress compound. Tomorrow is a new day! Start over and work your Snacks into your daily intake in a way that you are still doing what you know you should or exchange the Snacks for something that is what you should be eating. And be kind to yourself....no one is perfect.

I'm glad you shared. :)

~Kat

One of the things I have/am learning to deal with in this whole crazy mess is my all or nothing metality that I've always had. I'd eat a biscuit (or 3) for Breakfast, and say why bother working out? It will barely even out that crappy Breakfast I ate. Or I'd miss a workout, and say why bother working out tomorrow? It will only make up for yesterday. Nothing to be gained. But it would go on and on. And the farther away from a good day I got, the harder it was to go back.

Now I'm learning it doesn't have to be that way. I can f**k up, and then jump right back on the wagon. I can miss a workout and it doesn't mean I need to eat pizza the next day. I don't need every day or even every week to be perfect. I just need to have more good days than bad. Put as many good days together in a row as I can. And keep pushing up hill inch by inch. That's how we get there....slowly, painfully...but we are getting there.

One of the things I have/am learning to deal with in this whole crazy mess is my all or nothing mentality.

ME TOO!!! I didn't realize how strong that element was of my personality until I started in therapy a year or so ago!

For the OP, definitely great that you decided to share this struggle amongst a group of people who have "been there, done that". While the healthy snack option works well for many people, I have found that snacking of any kind is a slippery slope for me, and so I work to follow my plan (which is eating 3x a day). And then, when the urge to snack hits me (stressed, bored, lonely can all be triggers for me), it is easier for me to "know" that I am not actually hungry, but am instead battling a case of head hunger.

Part of the journey for many people, and acknowledging the issue is a huge positive...definitely puts you squarely on the path to success. Good luck!

Thanks guys!