Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

for those of you that had band to sleeve in 1 step

Was your band deflated pre op? I keep asking to have my band deflated and they keep saying its not necessary. But doc says if my stomach isn't too inflamed during the band removal he will sleeve me but, to date he has not had a case where the stomach wasn't too inflamed, so to date he's always done in two steps. I'm no doc but I feel like if I'm deflated the stomach may be less inflamed at surgery? But at the same time my 4 week pre op liquid diet will be easier to handle if not deflated. So, were u done in 1 step ? If so, were u deflated or not?

I was deflated for about 4 months before I had my revision..

I got my band deflated. I thought the same things you did--it will be less inflamed, so surgery will be more successful. The pre-op diet wasn't so bad even with an empty band (well, it was a nightmare to be honest, but not because of hunger just because of cravings).

Was the removal to sleeve done in 1?

Yeah i got a 2fer..

So I emailed the docs office and asked, no, insisted that I want to be deflated. I don't mean to drive them crazy but it really makes sense to me to have it un- filled. I'm 9cc's in a 12 cc band so that's pretty tight. When you take a ring off that's been stuck too tight on the finger, the finger is super swollen. It just makes sense to me.

I had mine unfilled for about 6 weeks prior to my revision. It does make the surgery easier IMO.

No. My port was inaccessible (part of the reason for the band failure) so I had about 2.5 ccs in my band prior to Sleeve surgery.

I had my band removed and was Sleeved during the same surgery. My band was filled at the time of the revision. For one reason or the other, the surgeon did not have the Fluid removed prior to the surgery. I did have some scarring on my stomach but fortunately, the surgeon was able to work around it.

I had mine deflated for 3 years due to problems. The preop was only hard the first few days then got so much easier. I got a revision from band to sleeve in one. My surgeon usually does it in two but I had n insurance situation so he accommodated me. What did they say when you demanded the unfill?

I emailed the doc office and said I wanted it unfilled in hopes of it lessoning the swealing and strengthen my chances of band to sleeve revision in one but they emailed me and said no go. They won't remove the Fluid and he won't do it in one surgery. Its okay, I'm okay with 2 but honestly its a little frustrating knowing there are docs that do it one. That's just because I'm impatient and I want this all over with. But now that I know its definitely 2 surgeries I will just get over it and exhibit patience. :+)

So the 4 week pre op diet starts tomorrow. Gahhh!!

Sorry you cant have it in one. they do say it is for your own good. but now you know and you can settle in to your routine and the remaining hoops if you have any. Good luck on your journey. It will be worth it in the end!

Having it deflated doesn't matter. Inflamation isn't determined just by that. Either trust the surgeon or get a new one. You are sending the message you know better than they do. The fact its there at all had caused years of Chronic inflamation. Its a foreign body- its stable leave it alone. The mere fact they remove Fluid and allow it to have freedom, rub up and down inside the band can be as bad or infact worse. Try to be respectful of the surgens education and expertise, try not to express your "googLe MD" learned/common sense . They have a lot more experience than you with such things- if you feel your right-- change offices. You will burn bridges and be the difficult patient stuck with a band no one wants to touch. Mine was broken, deflated less than a week. One step has a lot to do with chronicity/ compliance/thickening/internal room/ size of pt/length of time banded/liver size......... more factors than space here. Good luck to you.