Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have been trying... and a question.

I've been working with a physician and a nurse practitioner to try and lose some weight since December 2012 or January 2013. I tried diet and exercise, combined with WW online, and my physician was adamant that I needed to attend the in-person WW meetings and that would fix my lack of weight loss. I was documenting/measuring every ounce, crumb, and drop of anything I ate or drank, and still wasn't losing. She put me on a diet suppressant, and I felt awful, but finally lost a few pounds. I gave up on the medication, it was keeping me from sleeping and I felt "fuzzy" all the time. She got in my face about my weight yet again, and brought me to tears. I left her office 4 times so upset I wanted to go home and disappear, ashamed of myself and embarrassed.

I left that physician shortly after that.

I now see a NP as my PCP, and I love her. She's very thorough and supportive. We've talked about VSG and she supports it. She had me on a different weight-loss medication, a combination pill, I felt better on it, but was on it for 3 months and saw absolutely no loss.

My question is: is there any chance my attempts to lose with physician supervision would help "speed along" the process? I have proper documentation and all of that. :)

I know no one is an expert, and it depends on my insurance, but has anyone had an experience similar?

what state do you live in?

Minnesota :)

I have Kaiser and was told I needed 2 years of documented weight loss attempts. I had no comorbidities but a high BMI, so that at least got me the referral to start the 6 month process.

I think with my insurance I might need to have 2 years of my BMI/weight documented. I'm not positive I can come up with that. I'll be really disappointed if I have to wait 18 months before I can start the process of having my surgery :(

Many insurance companies require a 3 or 6 month supervised "diet" prior to surgery. I say "diet" because I saw my surgeon and nutritionist each month and it wasn't a true diet to lose weight. It was more to learn the tools I needed to be successful after surgery (eat slowly, chew well, focus on nutrition and mindful eating habits, etc.). But every surgeon is different - some want to see weight loss before surgery. My surgeon was like - well dieting didn't work for you before, that's why you're here. So why put you on another diet.

It sounds like what you have been doing may count toward your insurance requirement. They are usually pretty strict in how they want the documentation and notes from the doctor. You may want to call your insurance to find out specifically what they need and then meet with your NP to discuss what you have vs. what you need. Still be prepared to jump through hoops, and then you will be pleasantly surprised if you don't have to! :)

Documentation is what they are looking for. I got weights from my primary doctor & gyno (even though I had one year with no record) the fact that I could go back years was ok with Blue Cross. Unless your insurance require a doctor supervised diet for a specific time period it may not "help" but I"m sure it won't hurt .

Good luck!

Diet pills are just a temporary bandaid, you will regain twice as much back when you have to go off them. Here in Mississippi, the government has stuck their noses into how long you are allowed to take a diet pill (6 months on and 6 months off). I have been on weight watchers and lost 68 pounds and became a lifetime member before, but it doesn't work for me now. I have been on medifast, nutisystems, doctor assisted weight loss, herbalife, diet pills, Roco, you name it, I have done it. If you have tried everything and your body won't budge, it's time for surgery. My sister had the gastric sleeve last year and has already lost 80 pounds, started at 204 and is now so slim and beautiful. She had to wait the 6 months required here in the US. I am going to Mexico to have my surgery, I do not like the beaurocracy here with the insurance and hospitals. The prices in Mexico are so much less expensive than here in the US. My sister's surgery was paid for by her Medicare and she said it paid 100%. My doctor told me to start a protien diet with less than 70 grams of carbs a day the week before surgery. The doctors in the US tell their patients to start a liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery. I would rather have the food. After surgery, we will all be on the liquid diets. Good luck with your surgery!

Turns out I do have 2 years of documented obesity! Never thought I'd be excited to say that!

I also managed to call my insurance company today, and it looks like my documentation *might* be enough. Yay!

I got all my benefit information too, the surgery is covered and it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg, either. Al around its been a positive day on the path to sleevehood!!

What the insurance company accepts is up to the coverage and criteria that was established by the employer and the insurance company. My company requires a six month medically supervised diet and a BMI of 40 or greater with no comorbidities, or a BMI of 35 to 39.9 with at least one comorbidity. There are many comorbities, but these are some of the more common ones; hypertension, high cholesterol, and diabetes. My insurance company will accept Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, but you have to have proof of weekly attendance like the stamps in the book when you go in person to WW meeting. The six month diet also has to be the same program for the entire period. So if you do Weight Watchers, it is for the entire six months. They do no allow you to mix and match diets. My ins. coverage will allow you to submit proof of this as far back as 2 years ago. In addition you have to have a monthly meeting with the doctor, nutritionist where weight is the topic discussed.

The only way you will know for sure is to look at your coverage and benefits or call your insurance company to get the specifics. I am covered by UHC and when I log into the web site, there is a .pdf file that has my company's coverage listed. After I spoke to Optima which is the third-party who covers special services for UHC, they sent me the criteria they needed so I had it in writing.

Hope this helps and you find out soon what is required. Good luck.