Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect? Band to Sleeve on August 9

I am revising from lap band to gastric sleeve on Aug 9th and I am actually feeling hopeful that this tool will work better than the last. I lost basically nothing in the end with years of fills and unfills. My band area would swell shut if I got stressed and I couldn't even sip Water, then they'd take ALL the Fluid out and the endless gain and lose cycle would start again. The only thing my band did for me was kept me from gaining more than my bodys preset weight which seems to be around 230 pounds. Any tips on what to expect in the 2 nights at hospital or at home? Anything I should be sure to have on hand? I'm getting so excited but am a bit scared too, but I am most scared of not losing this weight. Choose sleeve over RNY because of the disconnect between appetite with ghrelin etc. tell me how you all have done post surg etc!

I had the band installed in 2006. Dealt with the same up & down yo-yo as you describe from 2007 until my revision surgery on 7/16/13. I know I'm only 2 weeks out; but I can already tell a big difference. Third day & 7th day were the worst for me. Dealt with diarrhea until moved to soft food this past weekend. Amazing to be truly full after only a few ounces & not be overly hungry for 3 hours or so until time to eat again. Hardest thing for me is not drinking 30 min. before, during & 30 min. after eating. I've heard many different plans from everyone in this group; so go by what your doctor and/or nutritionist say. You can do this.

Thanks! I have apptmnts all day tomorrow with regular labs, xray, blood tests, ekg, then onto surgeons office for TNE, then to nutritionist! I pray i get the final all clear for the 9th of aug!!!

I had my band placed in Oct 2009. Loved it the first couple years. Vomited often, probly what caused most of my weightloss (lost 104 lbs). It finally had enuf about a year ago and slipped. They unfilled me by 1/2 and let it rest 4 weeks. Without doing another xray, in 4 weeks they put 1cc in. Great. Still no reflux (my only slip symptom) but also no restriction. They put in another 1cc. Reflux that nite. Took out the 1cc and told me it was all up to me now. it wasn't slipped so severely that it needed to come out, but it wasn't fixing itself.

Fast forward to 4 mths ago and after a gain of 20 lbs. Went to the ER cuz of extreme abdominal pain. They did a CT and said it was actually herniated (stomach was bubbled up and over the band) and had to be unfilled and replaced. They unfilled me and I managed to gain another 10 lbs till my revision 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Had my revision done at the same time (some people do it in 2 steps) on July 16th. He spent 30 minutes digging my band out of my stomach lining, it had embedded in there. probly why I was in so much pain post op. uneventful 2 days in the hospital. passed my swallow test the following day and started on ice chips, Protein shakes and Water.

I'm 17 days post op now and still on full liquids (4 weeks). The first 10 days or so I had absolutely no hunger and was convinced that I was one of the lucky ones that never would. Wrong. It's back. Some say it's stomach acid but I vote for real hunger. While ghrelin is produced in the part of stomach they remove, 25% of it is made in the pancreas also. nothing a few bites of cream Soup doesn't fill right up tho. Can't wait till I can have refried Beans in about 10 days! Thats first bite is going to be heaven!

While I regretted my decision the first week (I had alot of post op pain), I'm so glad I did it now. I'm just starting to realize, however, that I won't ever be able to enjoy eating a whole cheeseburger again. But thats actually good, right?

I think the band was a fad (like Phen-Fen in the 90's). My dr doesn't even recommend them anymore as people have so many complications.

Oh, and I'm down 13 lbs since july 15th! Only 17 lbs left to get rid of the 30 I gained and about 31 lbs left to get rid of the last 10 l still needed to get off. So happy with my decision. Still mourning food tho :(

Good luck with your revision! You'll do great!

I had my band on 12/21/11 and had it removed and revised to the sleeve on May 6, 2013 due to many complications with the band I was 206.5 when I got the band and 164.5 when I had it revised. I am now 3 months out on Monday and have lost 27 pounds. I feel great and don't regret my decision at all. The revision surgery was a cinch for me with no pain just a lot of soreness and it took awhile for me to get my energy back. The post-op diet was not problem because I wasn't eating a whole lot with the band. I can eat just about anything now in small portions. I eat about 3 ounces of meat/protein and a scoop of veggies and usually can't eat the carbs except a tiny bit once in awhile. I didn't think I would ever eat pizza again and even had a small slice a week or so ago. I have not thrown up once with the sleeve, however, if something doesn't agree with my new belly I do get a stomach ache about 20 minutes after eating and have had diahrea quite a few times. You will do great! Best of luck