Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking Isnt Enough

I was sleeved on March 25, 2013. So far I have lost 45 pounds. I am very happy with it so far and hope to lose another 55 to reach my ultimate goal.

I went to see my surgeon for my three month check up. He was happy with my loss but very disappointed in my exercise. I told him I was going for 60-90 minute walks about 4-5 times a week. He said, "Walking is activity, it is not exercise. You need to get your heart rate up higher."

Ok, fine. He is right, I know. But ever since he said that I feel as if walking just isn't good enough and I gave up completely doing it. Now I do nothing. Its like if its not good enough then why even try. I feel guilty and ashamed of myself but its almost as if why do it if it doesn't count. I cant get myself to workout in the gym, despite a high monthly fee and prepaid personal training sessions. I just lack any motivation now.

How do you get back on track? What worked for you? What kind of exercise do you do? I need a swift kick in the rear I think!! I want to tone up but Im afraid of failing. Im afraid of being sore. Hell, I may even be afraid of succeeding.

My surgeon said that walking would really be all it takes, but I don't agree with that. There are two key components to losing weight with exercise:

1) Fat-burning Cardio - you need to work out and keep your heart rate at 55% - 70% of your maximum heart rate for 30 minutes a day.

2) Weight Training - you need to be some weight regimen. You don't have to kill it and get super bulky, but muscle burns more calories than fat.

So if you are only doing Cardio - you are burning less calories than you would be if you were also adding some muscle. Another great thing to do is swimming or just walking in Water. The extra resistance will make you burn more calories than regular walking. Also, your body will burn calories by trying to keep your body temperature at 98.6 degrees.

If you can't go to a gym, get a Biggest Loser workout DVD. They have great exercizes you can do at home with little equipment. You might need to get a couple of 10lb weights, but that's about it. They combine cardio and weight training.

Just some thoughts.

I don't know if you have the personality type of "all or nothing" but sometimes I know I have fallen into that mode. However, walking is definitely better than doing nothing. I know most trainers and gyms tell you to vary your exercise routine so your body does not get used to the same activity. Often times a change will give you a boost in energy and calorie expenditure. Also with walking, try a different route if you walk outside, add ankle weights, arm weights, or if on a treadmill, vary the programs you use with speed, incline. Just make sure you don't overdo it and hurt yourself.

Do what you have to do to get back into doing some kind of exercise. Walking, esp. brisk walking, is way better than nothing. It works some of the largest muscles in your body: your leg muscles.

For me, staying with exercise means I have to do it first thing. I simply won't do it later. And it has to be a group or timed activity, such as walking with friends, an exercise class, or working with a trainer.

I do think doing muscle building activities, such as strength training is important. It boosts your metabolism and helps retain muscle through the losing phase. But just get walking for starters.

Lynda

Please don't beat yourself up! Let me tell you what my doctor's office says. They don't encourage "exercise", they encourage "physical activity". They define physical activity as what you would do above and beyond your normal daily activity. In other words, if you are a construction worker, you can't count that activity because that activity is already included in your every day life. BUT if you added 60-90 minute walks 4-5 times per week above and beyond what you used to do, then THAT IS physical activity that counts! I walk 30 minutes 6 days per week. THAT counts!! I never did that before so it counts!

Let me tell you, I lost 100 pounds in 2007 on a medically supervised diet and a TON of exercise. But that level of exercise was NOT sustainable.

I am committed to doing a level of physical activity that I can sustain for life. Maybe one day I will up my level to be as high as your level, if I feel that it fits into my life.

I want to encourage you to get back up and get walking!!! You are doing great!!! Keep up the great work!!

I would say that walking an hour+ four to five times a week sounds like exercise to me. With that said, some weight lifting or resistance training a couple of times a week would probably help as well. Have you lifted in the past or know how to get started?

I would say that walking an hour+ four to five times a week sounds like exercise to me. With that said' date=' some weight lifting or resistance training a couple of times a week would probably help as well. Have you lifted in the past or know how to get started?[/quote']

I have no idea how to get started. Lol. I bought a few programs from the store like P90X and Tapout but have not opened the box. I'm scared. I may hurt myself or look foolish or even worse what if I don't get that hot ripped body like you see on the commercials? Sigh. Any suggestions??

Buy yourself a Leslie Sansone Walking Video. She uses weights, bands and lots of kicking. I found that her exercise videos keep me wanting to exercise.

I was sleeved on March 25, 2013. So far I have lost 45 pounds. I am very happy with it so far and hope to lose another 55 to reach my ultimate goal.

I went to see my surgeon for my three month check up. He was happy with my loss but very disappointed in my exercise. I told him I was going for 60-90 minute walks about 4-5 times a week. He said, "Walking is activity, it is not exercise. You need to get your heart rate up higher."

Ok, fine. He is right, I know. But ever since he said that I feel as if walking just isn't good enough and I gave up completely doing it. Now I do nothing. Its like if its not good enough then why even try. I feel guilty and ashamed of myself but its almost as if why do it if it doesn't count. I cant get myself to workout in the gym, despite a high monthly fee and prepaid personal training sessions. I just lack any motivation now.

How do you get back on track? What worked for you? What kind of exercise do you do? I need a swift kick in the rear I think!! I want to tone up but Im afraid of failing. Im afraid of being sore. Hell, I may even be afraid of succeeding.

I go with 2 friends to the Y and we go to Water aerobics in the deep end. I can work much harder there as it doesn't hurt my feet or my knee. Set up a time with the trainer if you have one. I started training for a 5K run with other people from the surgeon's office and then found out I shouldn't be running so had to walk it. Lost my motivation for walking then but love the Water aerobics. I hate exercising per say!!!

I don't know your lifestyle, but I think P90X might be a bit advanced for someone only 4 months out from this surgery. That's a pretty intense workout regimen.

You can find a lot of videos on YouTube that can get you started with weight training. The key is to try and find someone reliable (anyone can post so be careful). If you research well enough, that can at least get you started. I also found that callanetics (?sp) and barre workouts are more my style.

I hate to feel like I'm drowning in sweat and I don't want to be so sore that I can't walk the next day. So by doing those plus dancing (belly dance, bollywood, etc.) and pilates, I get a bunch of workouts to match my mood and none make me feel like I'm dying and dread working out the next day.

I agree with Wags. Do what is going to stay with you forever. I'm not a big exerciser, but I do walk many miles a day, plus bike a couple times a week. that's something I know I'll be doing for my health the rest of my life. I'm losing.. Slow, but getting closer to goal and will be healthy when I get there. And very happy ;)

I don't know if you have a heart rate monitor or not - but that may assist you with the walking and measure the intensity you are exercising at. Set yourself a target heart rate and increase intensity as needed. It's also a good source of motivation as you see your fitness improve. I think that the idea of walking not being exercise is very old fashioned. I had a personal trainer in the past that told me depending on how high you swing your arms and how fast you walk, you can almost get the same work out you would from a run.

Sounds to me like the doc was just trying to motivate you to lose faster. There are benefits to walking even if it doesn't win fat burner of the year. Sweat is a great indicator of the intensity of a workout. And sweat-inducing things can be worked in with your walking, as others here have suggested.

How do you feel about group sports like tennis? Just being scheduled to play and knowing people are counting on being there is a great motivator to "work out"! And you could do it while still getting your walks in.

I would agree with the strength training! I never thought I would be one of those girls who like to "lift weights" but I am FAST falling in love with it.

Check your local rec center or your YMCA, they often will have programs that include strength training and cardio combined. If you can afford it hire a trainer for a few sessions or there are a number of videos on proper form etc.

I also think you need to get out of your own head with what someone has arbitrarily defined as "enough". You are moving and losing weight and that seems pretty darn fine to me.