Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone hear about a Mexico Bariatric Center patient passing away this weekend?

Trust me its a lot easier in the states...

It's not as cloak and dagger as you think.

This is good news.. I had a terrible time when researching in my area of the country

Again, I did not come on here to create havoc on this site. The original post is true. Yes, maybe I could've been a little more forthcoming about my opinion on MBC, but I honestly don't think it would've made a difference how I stated the post. People like Laura-Ven will be quick to discredit me for one reason or the other no matter how I came across and that's fine. Like I said, I wanted everyone to have the opportunity to know the shady practices of MBC and the make sure they research the ACTUAL DR that will be doing the surgery. Research their site and you will see info and profiles for Dr's MBC doesn't even do business with.

Anyone who's ever been to Mexico knows that info if very heavily swept under the carpet. That's what makes it very hard for people to do research and find the best Dr's and which coordinators work with those Dr's. Maybe if it wasn't for people Like Laura-Ven, more people would come forward with experiences (good or bad) and this information would be easier for people who are considering having their surgery in Mexico. Luckily I have thick skin so I really don't care that she's called me a duck LOL It seems like people on here keep saying that want this to be a support forum for people having, have had or are considering having their surgery in Mexico, but then they discredit someone who is saying something they don't like. My information is for anyone who wants to consider it. If you don't want to consider it, just click that cute little X button on the top right hand of your screen. I'll disappear immediately :rolleyes:

I think Laura says what other people often think...which is, if someone has a clear bias against a coordinator or doctor, it makes it hard to distinguish between perception and fact. If you were interested in sharing facts, the thread wouldn't have been titled in the form of a question but it would have been a statement. Yes, the information is important...but I believe how the information is shared is equally important.

For someone who is new to these forums or is doing an internet search and just happens to land here, they may not yet have the information to research for themselves. If you are truly interested in sharing the information you said you had to begin with, then in the future you should just come out and say it.....not only the coordinating company, who has nothing to do with the actual surgical procedure, but the doctor, hospital, and the rest of the pertinent information.

Blaming Laura for people being unwilling to share experiences is ludicrous.

People are individually responsible for what they choose to share. The same way people are responsible for researching and determining which coordinators and doctors are the best fit for them, whether it's in the US, Mexico, or elsewhere.

~Kat

What I am referring to is that it is really hard for a doctor to know what complications arise after surgery when most of his patients are out of the country patients. He admitted to me that he simply does not know about all problems that come up after a patient leaves. Many never email him back' date=' and some drop off the face of the earth. Please do not interpret this to mean that I think Dr Aceves is a bad surgeon with horrible complication rates. I do not think that is the case at all. I found him to be ethical and honest in my dealings with him. I would still consider him should I choose to move ahead.

Again, I am just stressing the importance of researching your own surgeon and not go by what you read on a forum. Your doctor for example was jailed/imprisoned for insurance fraud. To some that may be a deterrent to choosing him, while others may think that is not a big deal. What is important to me may not be important to others. Hopefully your own research will give you the information you need so you can move forward with your decision, and feel good about it. :)[/quote']

I did check up on that report on my doctor and what you say is not true. He was not jailed/imprisoned. He was fined because he signed some papers that he admits he should not have signed. That happens in America too. You need to check your sources before you spread false rumors.

I think Laura says what other people often think...which is, if someone has a clear bias against a coordinator or doctor, it makes it hard to distinguish between perception and fact. If you were interested in sharing facts, the thread wouldn't have been titled in the form of a question but it would have been a statement. Yes, the information is important...but I believe how the information is shared is equally important.

For someone who is new to these forums or is doing an internet search and just happens to land here, they may not yet have the information to research for themselves. If you are truly interested in sharing the information you said you had to begin with, then in the future you should just come out and say it.....not only the coordinating company, who has nothing to do with the actual surgical procedure, but the doctor, hospital, and the rest of the pertinent information.

Blaming Laura for people being unwilling to share experiences is ludicrous.

People are individually responsible for what they choose to share. The same way people are responsible for researching and determining which coordinators and doctors are the best fit for them, whether it's in the US, Mexico, or elsewhere.

~Kat

The FACT is I heard from someone in Mexico that a patient passed away this weekend. The FACT is that's the only info. I had when I posted so my QUESTION was to ask if anyone else had any info. After I was questioned, I made a phone call and got the Dr's name because someone asked for the Dr. That's the ONLY additional info. I posted on that question since my initial post.

Your PERCEPTION that I am only on here to bash MBC and your PERCEPTION if I shared the info. the way you would've like me to would've been a better way to do it and your PERCEPTION that the coordinating company has nothing to do with the surgeons who are performing the procedures are the only thing here that isn't FACT.

You don't like the way I delivered the FACT that I shared? Don't care. Questioning my agenda when I've been very up front with every single question that's been asked of me is pretty petty. I haven't pretended to be anything other than who I am. I don't create fake posts to intermix with my posts warning people about MBC. I don't delete old posts so nobody can go back and see what I've posted about them before. My profile is my real name and yes, I do live in NY.

Again, if you don't like my warning about MBC, please see my post about the cute little X in the upper right hand corner.

If you're serious about having your surgery in Mexico, please do your research. Know which dr's work with which coordinators. Pick the DOCTOR you want to do your surgery based on his/her credentials and YOUR extensive research. Then find out which coordinator they work with (or book directly with the Dr. if you're more comfortable). But remember that not all doctors are equally qualified and, yes, some Dr's have a higher death rate than others. Yes, there are doctors, and coordinators for that matter, out there who have had their fair share of brushes with the law. It's your LIFE, please don't let the manner in which I delivered this information influence you to believe that my information is in anyway misinformed because of the cheerleaders.

I thinks its a safe bet that someone died in Mexico the day after surgery, probably several someones. Not necessarily after weight loss surgery but its a distinct possibility. As all informed patients know surgeries come with that risk, some more than others. Weight loss surgery is no different. Several someones died in the US in the same time period for the same reasons. What was your point? If its to make a particular Dr, hospital or coordinator look bad I'm afraid you're having the wrong effect. It's making YOU look bad.

I thinks its a safe bet that someone died in Mexico the day after surgery, probably several someones. Not necessarily after weight loss surgery but its a distinct possibility. As all informed patients know surgeries come with that risk, some more than others. Weight loss surgery is no different. Several someones died in the US in the same time period for the same reasons. What was your point? If its to make a particular Dr, hospital or coordinator look bad I'm afraid you're having the wrong effect. It's making YOU look bad.

Multiple deaths in a few months by the Dr's working with one coordinator? Again, just putting the information out there. If you're willing to still book with someone with that kind of track record, but all means, good luck with that.

If you think I look bad by giving FACTUAL information to people considering this surgery, who's the one that looks bad?

Edited by Alex Brecher
Attorneys for MBC claim your statement is false, defamatory and slanderous

I did check up on that report on my doctor and what you say is not true. He was not jailed/imprisoned. He was fined because he signed some papers that he admits he should not have signed. That happens in America too. You need to check your sources before you spread false rumors.

The point I was trying to make is that what is a deal breaker for some, is not for someone else (though the article I read states he was jailed). I did not check it out further as I would never have gone with him to begin with (his insurance fraud shows lack of ethical values which was bad enough for me, if he was truly jailed matters not....). ;)

This again though shows how important it is to check posts out yourself. DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!!

Thank you for validating my point. :)

all you guys are scaring the bejesus outta me, i know i know, i clicked on the thread..lol but i have my surgery book for Aug9 with Dr. Lopez, please i need all your opinions should i change Dr.s?

all you guys are scaring the bejesus outta me, i know i know, i clicked on the thread..lol but i have my surgery book for Aug9 with Dr. Lopez, please i need all your opinions should i change Dr.s?

I'm right there with you 'Cananda here' and I've come to the conclusion that we need to be scared! Unfortunately its these crazy ppl on this forum that we need to be scared of.

Multiple deaths in a few months by the Dr's working with one coordinator? Again, just putting the information out there. If you're willing to still book with someone with that kind of track record, but all means, good luck with that.

If you think I look bad by giving FACTUAL information to people considering this surgery, who's the one that looks bad?

Please provide more information about the other deaths. Who were the doctors, and what were the causes? What is your source for information?

Edited by Alex Brecher
Attorneys for MBC claim your statement is false, defamatory and slanderous

I think some of you might be too wrapped up in the statistic of this death and missing the specifics of the cause. Yes, deaths do occur in all surgeries everywhere and for many different reasons. Some unavoidable and some which could have been avoided with some very simple procedures. That would be my concern. Were all the appropriate steps taken and used to help prevent the cause of this particular death and or any others by this Doctor? If not, what changes have been made?

Some doctors take steps or use medications to help avoid clots or embolisms, while others may not. Tests can be administered to verify a clot or embolism. Were they done? I have had several surgeries where clots were a major concern and I always made sure every step possible was used to prevent any issues, and I had none. If a doctor refuses or does not take me seriously enough I will not use him. I know that is no guarantee and complications can still occur, but I'm not taking any chances.

Do your research and find out everything about the Doctors specific procedures and methods. And by all means, speak up with your demands as well.

What exactly causes a PE? Isn't it from a blood clot that you already may have then it travels to your lung after surgery? I'm worrying about this :/ how do we prevent it or is it just like Russian roulette?

It would behoove anyone having this surgery to review the signs and symptoms of PE, Pulmonary embolism and especially DVT, Deep vein thrombosis. Be alert and aware of the symptoms and if you have any of them alert your Nurse, or Dr. immediately. Don't think you're being a bother. Better it be treated immediately, then go home in a box. Also..... if you're flying, make sure you get up and walk as often as you can, and when you're seated be sure to stretch your legs, bend and flex your feet frequently to keep the circulation going. We have to be well informed health care recipients wherever we go. Let's stay safe and healthy. Google DVT and PE and read all about it. I just did (and I'm a Nurse).

No one can tell you what is right for you. You chose that Dr for a reason, right? Do those reasons still exist? Do you still comfortable with those reasons?

The reality is that we all go into surgery knowing there are risks. We don't like to actively think about them, for sure, but we know they exist. Keep in mind that for every complication, including death, there are people who get through surgery just fine....and statistically, those people are a far greater number. I was willing to roll the dice, based on the research I'd done, and I'm happy I did.

I say trust your instincts and you'll be able to make the right choice for you.

~Kat

I'm right there with you 'Cananda here' and I've come to the conclusion that we need to be scared! Unfortunately its these crazy ppl on this forum that we need to be scared of.

I'm not sure that is exactly accurate, either. After all, without all these "crazy people" would you know that Mexico was an option? Would you have found your surgeon/coordinator/hospital? There's nothing wrong with taking what people say with a grain of salt and determining on your own what works for you. That's certainly not the same as thinking that everyone here has an ulterior motive or is "crazy".

~Kat