Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone doing the ADF version of 5:2?

I decided to do ADF, Alternate Day Fasting, rather than 5:2. I eat 600 cals on fast days, and 1650 on normal days, and my rhythm is every other day, on-off-on-off-on-off.

Is anyone else doing ADF? How do you like it?

I am discovering just how monumentally involved my brain is in my hunger response, on normal days, when I can eat a lot, I suddenly have no appetite. On fast days, when I can't eat, I suddenly want All the Foods. Hello, headcase!! Today is supposed to be a fast day and I will have eaten all of my calories by 1pm!! When I started 5:2, I did 5:2, and it is still the same issue, all in my frickin' head :( difficult as it is, I actually am more accountable when I do ADF, because I can "get through" the fast days by telling myself that it's okay, I get to eat tomorrow.

I have been thinking of doing that too. I am not eating much during my non fast days anyway.

I thought someone posted studies have shown it doesn't make a difference in weight loss though.

I don't think I could manage it! There are weeks where it feels like 2 days is 2 too many!! I also read right on the Fasting Diet webpage I think that the weight loss between fasting 2 days vs 3 days is negligible. But I have thought of doing the 16:8 method on my non-fast days (I tried it one day, it was ok, so I will see if I try it again). You eat your normal amount of calories, but only within an 8 hour period and the rest of the 16 hours is fasting (so ex: you would eat all your calories between 12:00pm and 8:00pm and then nothing until 12:00pm the next day again). No calories restrictions either with the 8 hour diet, but just like the 5:2 you would still have to be mindful.

Actually, the website said that there was no significant difference between 5:2 and 4:3, but that ADF did show a marked increase. Psychologically speaking, for me, it is easier to do ADF, since I don't get "used to" the higher eating.

My husband is starting ADF but has never "dieted" so we will see. He has good intentions.

Ah, yes, that would make sense. Basically you would end up on an alternate weekly schedule, one week 3 days, one week 4 days. Keep us posted!

I did research it and bought the book prior to starting 5:2 but figured out that I didn't like that my "days" would change all the time. I have thought about doing it simply because I think mentally I would like not such a long gap between my last fast day of the week. I might try it and see what I think since I have kinda stalled at this body setpoint for the last two weeks. Research does show that it isn't really any more beneficial, though, as FYE said earlier.

Well, frankly, I'm pretty desperate and have nothing to lose by trying - except 70 unwanted pounds! It is just heartbreaking, when I think of how close I got ... my lowest (albeit induced by gallbladder attack diarrhea, sorry) was 164 and how how good I felt about myself! I could say that I was only 14 pounds away from surgeon's goal and only 25 from personal, it all seemed so possible! Now ... I am genuinely afraid to step on the scale, the last time I did it said 194 ...

I know most of it is my "fault", but I really do think that getting the Mirena had something to do with it - my body is in a constant state of PMS/"pregnant", swollen sore breasts, cravings, weight gain...

Well, frankly, I'm pretty desperate and have nothing to lose by trying - except 70 unwanted pounds! It is just heartbreaking, when I think of how close I got ... my lowest (albeit induced by gallbladder attack diarrhea, sorry) was 164 and how how good I felt about myself! I could say that I was only 14 pounds away from surgeon's goal and only 25 from personal, it all seemed so possible! Now ... I am genuinely afraid to step on the scale, the last time I did it said 194 ...

I know most of it is my "fault", but I really do think that getting the Mirena had something to do with it - my body is in a constant state of PMS/"pregnant", swollen sore breasts, cravings, weight gain...

My heart breaks for you. I gained weight because of a medication I started taking (7 lbs in 3 weeks) but I was able to just quit taking it and the weight gain stopped. It is not as easy for you and it very much sounds like your body's hormones are out of whack. Can you have it removed or do they have to be in place for so long?? After I quit taking B/C to get pregnant with my first son, I never took it again because it had messed up my body so badly. But I know that is not an option for a lot of women. Oh, I had also sent you a PM about getting your thyroid checked...not sure if you got it or not, but it might also be something to think about if you haven't already. Just a thought.

Keep us posted, I am thinking of you!

Well' date=' frankly, I'm pretty desperate and have nothing to lose by trying - except 70 unwanted pounds! It is just heartbreaking, when I think of how close I got ... my lowest (albeit induced by gallbladder attack diarrhea, sorry) was 164 and how how good I felt about myself! I could say that I was only 14 pounds away from surgeon's goal and only 25 from personal, it all seemed so possible! Now ... I am genuinely afraid to step on the scale, the last time I did it said 194 ...

I know most of it is my "fault", but I really do think that getting the Mirena had something to do with it - my body is in a constant state of PMS/"pregnant", swollen sore breasts, cravings, weight gain...[/quote']

Globetrotter, don't give up! I let myself get 20 pounds up too before realizing that I was seriously off track. "Lean on me (us) when you're not strong..." In my best Bill Withers voice. We are all just doing out best and you did it once, just get back up and forget about what was!!!!

ADF will work for you. We are all here to cheer you on!!!!!

Georgia! I'm all choked up now! Thank you!! <3 The last 13 months have been absolutely brutal to me, unceasingly brutal, and I'm not making anything better or easier by packing on pounds and becoming unfit.

B12 Globe... I was helping my mom and dad move yesterday, mom has mid progression Alzheimer's.... and LOTS of stuff collected through the years... emotional in lots of ways... lots of fighting breaking out... and my nephews ex-wifes mom, who was helping us recommended b12....for emotional stability and sustained energy... I take it, but not always regularly...so I started again... you do the same girl.

B12 Globe... I was helping my mom and dad move yesterday' date=' mom has mid progression Alzheimer's.... and LOTS of stuff collected through the years... emotional in lots of ways... lots of fighting breaking out... and my nephews ex-wifes mom, who was helping us recommended b12....for emotional stability and sustained energy... I take it, but not always regularly...so I started again... you do the same girl.[/quote']

Me too! I do good for a while then get out of habit. Got to take it!

As a vegetarian its really important, many vegetarians are B12 deficient...

Globetrotter, don't give up! I let myself get 20 pounds up too before realizing that I was seriously off track. "Lean on me (us) when you're not strong..." In my best Bill Withers voice. We are all just doing out best and you did it once, just get back up and forget about what was!!!!

ADF will work for you. We are all here to cheer you on!!!!!

Want to 2nd that!