Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I left Mexicali and Dr Aceves without a sleeve...

I can see her wanting to reach out to a former patient and wanting to be comforted a little, especially when she's feeling like darting out the hospital doors. I'm going alone and my family doesn't support this decision at all. The only people I have supporting me are people I meet off of this forum. It's sad but true. If I was to feel the way she did, I would possibly want to talk to someone off of here as well to calm my nerves.

Maybe I'm a special case but I needed the 6 month supervised diet, psych eval and all the insurance drama. It convinced me that I was ready to change my life and I truly wanted VSG.

Maybe I'm a special case but I needed the 6 month supervised diet, psych eval and all the insurance drama. It convinced me that I was ready to change my life and I truly wanted VSG.

I am not saying the OP did this...

Having been on this forum for over 2 years, it's been interesting to see how many people now jump into having VSG without much thought. This happens much more than it did a couple of years ago, it's obvious by the posts people make. It seems they think this is a quick fix and bc it's easier for some to go to Mexico and get this done without going through all the hoops they just do it without much thought. It's really a shame that this happens. This is a life changing surgery, life long changes need to be made.

Personally, I started with insurance and went through ALL of the pre op testing required by US doctors. Towards the end of my 3 month diet my insurance requirements changed and I decided to look into going to Mexico. I am very happy with my decision but it's not for everyone.

I do wonder why you didn't talk to Nina about complications? That was one of the first questions I had asked and she was upfront and honest when we spoke about that.

Oh, believe me when I say I did talk to Nina about complications. She had told me Dr Aceves had 1 leak in a virgin sleeve and 2 in a revision. Those are the only complications she was aware of. Dr Aceves mentioned more than those once I was there.

Please do not interpret my post to mean that I think Dr Aceves is a bad choice. I do not think that. I do however think that we cannot get a true picture of past complications by reading the forums or by asking Nina. I am a single mother of 4 great kids. Awesome kids. Kids who need me as much I need them. One of the possible complications Dr Aceves described to me would mean a 3 or more month stay at the hospital in Mexicali (something that has indeed happened before with Dr Aceves). This can happen with ANY surgeon. However, a 3 month stay in a hospital in Mexicali is something I was not willing to risk (especially since I had to digest this information right before facing surgery). And there were other complications that he brought up that equally concerned me. Again, ANY doctor will have these risks and complications. How often they happen with each surgeon is something we simply do not know. But especially not with a doctor who deals MOSTLY with out of the country patients. He told me that he tries to stay in touch with patients, but that sometimes this is not possible. As such, he is not completely aware of what his complication rate is. He was honest about this and I have IMMENSE respect for him because of this.

While I was there, a former patient was there asking me why I was so upset and second guessing the surgery. I explained one of my fears (leaks), and how I would deal with that should it happen to me. His response was "Don't worry about it, if you have a leak, just fly back to Mexicali and Dr Aceves will take care of you and fix the leak". It was then that I realized that some people can go to surgery in Mexico, not worry, and think that if anything goes wrong, they could just fly back and have it taken care of. Knowing that in reality that is not option (far from it!) made me wish I knew less, and trusted more. Blind faith....it can be a beautiful thing.

....it's been interesting to see how many people now jump into having VSG without much thought.

I am the polar opposite of someone who does anything without much thought. In fact, I over-research and over-think EVERYTHING. It is exactly what often holds me back in life. Like I hinted at above: sometimes ignorance is bliss.

As far as wanting a stranger to call you and reassure you it's going to be ok? I just don't get that. This is why for good reason there are psych evals and waiting periods before this major elective surgery.

I think you misunderstood my original post. I would NEVER ask anyone to assure me I was going to be ok. ;)

Yes, it does happen. People changing their mind, even as they are IN the hospital about to have the surgery. Looking around the hospital, talking to the surgeon, and knowing 'it doesn't feel quite right'. I had emailed several members here and begged them to talk to me on the phone, to give me some reassurance that I was doing the right thing, to have some sort of hand holding. No-one followed through, no one was interested in talking to me in person. The ONLY person who agreed to talk to me (a prolific poster on a different forum) warned me not to trust reviews, and to be very careful....She talked about paid reviews, coordinators posing as past patients, hidden complication rates. I spoke to Dr Aceves as I was sitting in one of his patient's rooms, and he told me of complications some of his patients had suffered and I realized none of those stories had made it to the boards or to any of the forums I participate in. It made me realize that maybe there was some truth to the story that many reviews here are paid reviews....that the reality is not nearly as rosy as the fabulous success stories this forum is littered with.

And so I came home today...sleeveless. A fruitless trip to Mexicali that did not pan out as expected or as planned. I did get to meet Dr Aceves, Dr Campos, and his team. I got a tour of the hospital, and got to stay in Hotel Lucerna. I met some of Dr Aceves' patients who all seemed to be recovering as planned. I salute them and their bravery. I salute Dr Aceves for his brutal honesty and integrity. I could see the pride he has for his hospital in his eyes, hear it in his voice.

As for me? I am broke, disappointed, and confused.

Trust is important. I have absolutely no clue how this Medical Tourism business can be regulated better, how trust can be built, how complication rates can be better and more reliably conveyed.

It certainly is not for the faint at heart.

This sounds like a nightmare and as I am scheduled to have surgery in Mexico soon, not a story I really wanted to hear from a fellow forum member. Really scary and makes you wonder what is real and not. I am already nervous as is. I feel for you and hope you can find your way to have the sleeve if this is still your dream. Good luck.

Aw that sucks that you spent the money togo down and change your mind. BUT I do think that you listenig to your gut is a smart decision :) a very hard decision.

I had band to sleeve revision with Dr.Aceves in March. I had my band placed in 2008 at The OCC and came close to backing out then, but didn't.

What a difficult decision you made, but it was right for you. It is hard decidig what dr to go to and what truth is behind what we read and in the people we speak to when those dr's are from another country.

Stephanie, I think it's good that you made this post on here. People need to read the real truth. Not everyone that goes to Mexico has a happy ending. It's good or people to know that you can do all the research, feel great about their decision, get to Mexico, not feel right and turn around and come home.

Having ANY surgery is a leap of faith: have you ever really read the consent forms you sign in the US? It can scare the isht out of you. Since the consent forms in MX are in Spanish, I'm guessing that's why Dr. Aceves spent some time going over that. But is it really anything you don't already know going in?

I can totally respect an individual decision to not have the surgery. But please don't make it about this forum, particular posts, or the folks posting here. It's up to each of us to take responsibility for getting our needs met and living with our choices.

Stephanie' date=' I think it's good that you made this post on here. People need to read the real truth. Not everyone that goes to Mexico has a happy ending. It's good or people to know that you can do all the research, feel great about their decision, get to Mexico, not feel right and turn around and come home.[/quote']

Not everyone who has WLS has a happy ending. Most people, whether in Mx or the USA, go into surgery and come out the on the other side (aka postop) with zero complications. Period. This is the rule, to which there are few exceptions. The exceptions are real and relevant. We should be aware of them. We should use them to make an informed decision.

And then we take our leap of faith, no matter which side of the Border, or we choose not to leap. I believe we have to make the choice for ourselves, by ourselves. Then it is up to use to decide if we made the right call.

Stephanie1678,

I'm glad you're home and I hope you're at peace with your decision as it is not an easy decision to make.

I think you have an opportunity to promote some positive changes in Medical Tourism. At least as far as Dr. Aceves' team goes. If you want to, that is. Maybe you could reach out to Nina regarding the info disconnect and see if she is willing to take whatever steps she can to try and bridge the gap. It may help ensure that another person in the future won't be caught in the same "fight or flight" panic mode.

Just a thought...

....please don't make it about this forum, particular posts, or the folks posting here. It's up to each of us to take responsibility for getting our needs met and living with our choices.

I really do not think I did any of that. I am sorry if you interpreted it as such.

I really do not think I did any of that. I am sorry if you interpreted it as such.

You most certainly did not do that. Please dismiss that thought right away. I'm proud for you that you made the decision that felt right for you in the moment. I don't kmow if I would have been brave enough to walk away once i was there. If you choose to be sleeved at a later date you'll do it knowing it has been thoroughly researched and you are ready. Thats theonly way it should happen for anyof us although sadly it isn't that way in many cases.

I am inspired to be more proactive in reaching out to Dr. Aceves and his team to keep them updated on my progress. I've been a bit remiss.

I am inspired to be more proactive in reaching out to Dr. Aceves and his team to keep them updated on my progress. I've been a bit remiss.

Fabulous!!!! ♥

Fabulous!!!! ♥

Thanx. I just emailed Gaby a lengthy update.

Do you think you will still get sleeve at all?

In Mexico?