Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

husband, family, sig others...and the 5:2 lifestyle

So after my husband gave me a load of **** yesterday about talking about "dieting" all the time and who cares and get a life and such, he said he needed to lose some weight and improve his liver. (he's a big strong guy with a ton of muscles and a pretty unhealthy eating habit-about 30% fat) I had sent him a link to the life extension program that the 5:2 plan was started from... and he actually queued it up and we watched it together. I gave him the the book, and he said " I don't need that" but I left it lying around anyway just in case he wants a look see when Im not in the room! (stubborn?) His answer is that "You cook everything for me and I will eat it." But the problem there is he hates about half of what I cook, and has told me so in no uncertain terms, and so I don't cook much for him- except a few things I know he likes- or he will eat the measured out healthy food I have cooked, then belly up to the snack bar and make a stack of cheese/jam sandwiches with a side of mashed potatoes or something. The man is a trained chef, so I don't feel too bad letting him cook for himself, but he has no self control or motivation.... (there is a twinkle there of wanting to get more healthy and improved energy- fingers crossed!) So I have a scale that measures body fat, and he set it up to check his, and figured out I had mine set as a male! He changed that for me...(boohoo, my body fat measurement went from 25 to 30 :( ) I'm hoping there might be a hope in hell that he might be the right type for the 5:2 (eating what you want for 5 days a week!) and maybe if I cook for him two days a week, he might make it work) He can do what he wants, hes an adult, but I do worry about his "death wish" as far as his eating habits go... I want him to be healthy for as long as he has!

It's weird how this fits in or not with our families.

I mean like some of the girls wondering how to tell or what even to tell younger children.

So I've struggled for ever and have lost tons of weight so my little family is used to me being different and not eating with them.

My husband gets his ear talked off (even more than I do here) about my sleeve and continuing tweaks to my intake...

See but it's so different for me because I am the only one in my family that is fat.. It's a foreign concept to all of them, I would of assumed that if your husband was battling.... The bulge for lack of a better word he would be more helpful and interested in what you are doing and want to do it along side! I think it would be nice to have a partner truly understand and chose a healthy change also.

Yea... thats my man! So he decided that he would just eat fruit and veg every other day. He started out well in the AM, then we went to a potluck... He was sitting there looking round, really lost with all the food. I feel for him, he has never had to practice impulse control really.... I was eating (sorry honey, I told you my fast days were mon and ths) and I got a veggies burger. I know I can't eat the whole thing, so I offered him half, all verggie and not far from his plan. He ate it, but then.... when he got home the deal was off. He kept going to the fridge, the impulses that make one do that were in charge. It doesn't take that much for him to lose weight, so maybe that will be enough... hope so. Hes a contrarian, and I have to make suggestions so he thinks he thought of it himself or he resists! I know how I felt when others made suggestions about how I should eat....

Yep! Nothing like someone telling you how to eat! My favorite is when I was struggling before with food and my husband would say just drink a big glass of water!!

Yeah, sub sandwich or glass of water...

I have to say, I am pretty lucky. My husband has always been very supportive. He has watched me struggle to lose every pound in the past, working out to exhaustion, and just being miserable. Before I had my son, I had managed to lose 70lbs and had changed how both of us ate. I do almost all the cooking, so he eats what I make. And we never have junk in the house because I have no will power. There is the odd day that he is a little bummed because he really wants a snack, but it is just not there. I have been honest with him and tell him that I just cannot have it in the house. And he is the type that he can eat anything without gaining weight! And he has suffered through endless talks about weight, diet, surgery, VST, you name it!

There have been a couple of times that I told him, oh just remind me not to eat something. Then he does when I go to eat it, and he almost gets his head chewed off in the process (no one is going to tell me what I can and cannot eat). Now if I say anything, he just says "No Way, I have learned not to listen to you when you ask me to tell you not to eat something!". Poor guy, just setting him up hey!!

So I guess I am lucky that I don't have to worry about him fighting with me about meals or anything like that. I do all the shopping and all the cooking. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't eat! But I have never seen him skip a supper that I have made!!

The 5:2 sounds like a great option for him...maybe set the seed more by mentioning you can eat what you want on non-fast days (of course, for real success, you can't go crazy, but he doesn't have to really know that right now). And maybe if he starts seeing quick results, he might be more encouraged.

Yea... thats my man! So he decided that he would just eat fruit and veg every other day. He started out well in the AM, then we went to a potluck... He was sitting there looking round, really lost with all the food. I feel for him, he has never had to practice impulse control really.... I was eating (sorry honey, I told you my fast days were mon and ths) and I got a veggies burger. I know I can't eat the whole thing, so I offered him half, all verggie and not far from his plan. He ate it, but then.... when he got home the deal was off. He kept going to the fridge, the impulses that make one do that were in charge. It doesn't take that much for him to lose weight, so maybe that will be enough... hope so. Hes a contrarian, and I have to make suggestions so he thinks he thought of it himself or he resists! I know how I felt when others made suggestions about how I should eat....

Oh, I thought ALL husbands had to "think it up" themselves! LOL Mine too, FYE! My dear Hubs has NEVER had to lose weight. when I married him he weighed 125 lbs!!!!! But for the last few years has had to watch sugar because he found out he is Type 2 Diabetic which is truly weird because nobody in his family is and he is not overweight! Anyway, trying to get it through his head that CARBS turn into SUGAR is laughable. He tends to eat lightly in the morning and mid day and then sit down at night and eat, snack, shack, shack, and then snack! HA!

My kids are grown and nobody at home but me and him now but I have two Grands every weekend and sometimes during the week. They are all used to me eating differently just as Laura said. I do tend to most of the time eat a variation of what I fix for them and the good thing is my husband would rather eat salad, stirfry and stuff like that than anything else!!