Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My head is spinning from all the different choices in doctors?

Ok, any recommendations here and why did you like them so much? I have seen several names over and over again so these are who I am researching: Dr. Garcia, Dr. Lopez, Dr. Illan, and Dr. Villanzuela. Some of the things that I want or like are: Surgery in hospital, not a clinic; like that hospital and staff are clean/sterile-good equipment; would be good if dr and staff spoke good or decent English; Safety and Cost; Low complications during visit and post op; quality care during and directly after; follow up. The more I read, the more I change my mind on someone or consider someone new. I really like the idea of Puerto Vallarta since it seems safer and newer facility, however, I realize it cost more to go there? But I see so many people have gone to TJ and haven't had any issues so confused :wacko:

The truth is there are many very good surgeons in TJ. I agree with you about avoiding the ones in a strip mall that send you to a residence after surgery as being a no go.

The level of care is different there and I really appreciated that. Decide what things mean the most to you and then narrow the Drs down to those that fit.

Beware of anyone that wants to help you decide on their surgeon only.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks for the feedback!

It can definitely be confusing, but you have done the right thing by joining forums such as this. Research the doctors, google them, find other patients who have recently had surgery with them and talk to them about their experiences, learn as much as you can. And, you know what, if your gut tells you a particular surgeon is not the right one for you, then trust that as well.

Don't base your decision on any one positive or negative experience someone posts, it doesn't matter what doctor it is, they will have patients who have good and bad things to say. That is why it is so important to do your research and talk to as many of their patients as possible, so you can make a well-informed decision.

Ok, any recommendations here and why did you like them so much? I have seen several names over and over again so these are who I am researching: Dr. Garcia, Dr. Lopez, Dr. Illan, and Dr. Villanzuela. Some of the things that I want or like are: Surgery in hospital, not a clinic; like that hospital and staff are clean/sterile-good equipment; would be good if dr and staff spoke good or decent English; Safety and Cost; Low complications during visit and post op; quality care during and directly after; follow up. The more I read, the more I change my mind on someone or consider someone new. I really like the idea of Puerto Vallarta since it seems safer and newer facility, however, I realize it cost more to go there? But I see so many people have gone to TJ and haven't had any issues so confused :wacko:

It is a really overwhelming and sometimes confusing process, choosing a surgeon. I made a spreadsheet, added surgeon names then varying features/information like operates in a hospital, uses an in-house coordinator, uses outside coordinating companies, recovery is in a hotel, price, complication rates, etc.

From there, I figured out which things were a priority for me personally. I was then able to narrow down to a few doctors that I personally contacted. After I contacted doctors, I mulled it over and was able to make some decisions.

It helped me to mix anecdotal information and facts I found in my research. Having a plan and approaching it in stages made it feel less overwhelming.

~Kat

Do your research! I too wanted to be in a hospital and not a strip mall. I ended up going with a doctor that works out of Mi Doctor Hospital which had great staff and was very clean. I went thru a co-ordination company that had an on sight co-ordinator too. If you would like any info please message me.

Ya know what I realized when doing my research? None of these doctors are hacks. They all do a good job and follow about the same script when it comes to procedure, recovery, etc. There are a few outliers I can name who do things differently (single incision, recovery location, etc). So, instead of post-poning my surgery for months while agonizing over every little detail of all the information I could find online, I just made a decision and booked.

Also, I've been a hiring manager for long enough to know that the resume often does not reflect the true competency of the applicant.

It is a really overwhelming and sometimes confusing process, choosing a surgeon. I made a spreadsheet, added surgeon names then varying features/information like operates in a hospital, uses an in-house coordinator, uses outside coordinating companies, recovery is in a hotel, price, complication rates, etc.

From there, I figured out which things were a priority for me personally. I was then able to narrow down to a few doctors that I personally contacted. After I contacted doctors, I mulled it over and was able to make some decisions.

It helped me to mix anecdotal information and facts I found in my research. Having a plan and approaching it in stages made it feel less overwhelming.

~Kat

That's a good idea b/c I am getting little details every time I read a post on each doctor but then start to confuse them together. LOL

~Kat

How did you find complication rates? I would think that if they weren't good they may not tell the truth?

Ya know what I realized when doing my research? None of these doctors are hacks. They all do a good job and follow about the same script when it comes to procedure, recovery, etc. There are a few outliers I can name who do things differently (single incision, recovery location, etc). So, instead of post-poning my surgery for months while agonizing over every little detail of all the information I could find online, I just made a decision and booked.

Also, I've been a hiring manager for long enough to know that the resume often does not reflect the true competency of the applicant.

Yes, true- I am finding a lot of consistency across the board.