Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Hair" Today, Gone Tomorrow...

This web page offers, what seems like very reasonable and sound explanations as to why we experience "shedding" and hair loss after WLS.

http://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/bariatric_surgery_and_hair_loss.designed.pdf

This web page offers, what seems like very reasonable and sound explanations as to why we experience "shedding" and hair loss after WLS.

http://www.slhn.org/...ss.designed.pdf

Very helpful! Thanks for posting.

This web page offers' date=' what seems like very reasonable and sound explanations as to why we experience "shedding" and hair loss after WLS.

http://www.slhn.org/docs/pdf/bariatric_surgery_and_hair_loss.designed.pdf[/quote']

NO !!!!!!!!!! No more then 6 months duration! Ahhhhhhhh! Thank you for standing by my mental break down; you may continue your day.

I started taking Biotin 10,000 mcg about 2 months prior to surgery. I have thin hair as it is so I am trying to stay ahead. I cut my shoulder length hair off so its short and easy to manage. i don't use curling irons or straighteners so hopefully less damage. A good hair system to use is Nioxin...may or may not help. It's great for thin hair.

You could always go with the G.I. Jane look and you won't have to worry about it.

Worked for me.

I mean face it....if you're dropping 100 plus pounds do you think anyone is going to really care that much if you shaved your head?

Lol... common sense for guys not for ladies

Aveda is offering a free trio sample pack of Invati plus free shipping with a 50 purchase. They are also offering free shipping with any Invati purchase. I red a little about the Invati line. It's designed to increase length' date=' strength, and volume by preventing breakage, so I'm not certain how effective it would be with loss due to a large amount of hair having entered the resting phase at the same time. www.aveda.com Aveda also has a line called Pure Abundance. I've used this line quite a bit because I have fine (though plentiful so far) hair. These products are basically just a volumizing line, so the hair you have, just looks like more. I actually like this line quite a lot, particularly the clay conditioner. Aveda products are ridiculously expensive, but I just really like them. I periodically go back to cheaper products because of the price, but I always find myself coming back to Aveda products. Anyway, just an fyi on a couple options.[/quote']

Fellow aveda lover here, and I tried the invati line, I don't think it helped much. I was pretty non compliant with the twice daily scalp massage though, much as I love the trademark aveda scent, it was kind of overpowering in the massage product. Plus, I'm too lazy for all that effort!

Fellow aveda lover here, and I tried the invati line, I don't think it helped much. I was pretty non compliant with the twice daily scalp massage though, much as I love the trademark aveda scent, it was kind of overpowering in the massage product. Plus, I'm too lazy for all that effort!

I can totally see myself being the same way. And since the Invati line is supposed to help specifically with breakage, and that's not what vsg-ers are dealing with, I'm not at all surprised that it didn't seem to help much, if at all.

I can totally see myself being the same way. And since the Invati line is supposed to help specifically with breakage' date=' and that's not what vsg-ers are dealing with, I'm not at all surprised that it didn't seem to help much, if at all.[/quote']

I'm hating the invati. The Shampoo is like Water, it doesn't lather easily and so I feel like I have to shampoo twice. Too expensive for all that. I'm going back to my Pure abundance. And I agree, I don't think it's going to do anything for telogen phase etc.

Great description! I will stay away from that stuff (unless they offer me a free sample, of course... I like free).

I've had to trade in my Pure Abundance shampoo/conditioner for Avon crap... (trying to support my mom and there are very few of their products that I actually like. I haven't tried any makeup product of theirs that I like other than lip gloss, which I rarely wear anyway. I don't use lotion. I don't need or want anti-aging crap. Perfume in my house goes bad before I even put a dent in the bottle. That pretty much leaves me with shampoo/conditioner and body wash... Last time I counted I had more than 20 bottles of body wash... I don't have kids and I can't talk my husband into using it... So I literally have 20something bottles of body wash just for me. I think I'm going to start donating them to the local YWCA. To be fair, the Shampoo and conditioner really isn't that bad, but I've always had really healthy hair, so I can get away with just about anything.)

Ahhh, I digress... I need to run by my local Aveda salon, though. I'm out of the Pure Abundance style prep. I've been using the mousse (can't remember what they named it), which is fine, but I like the style prep better. I was using the Smooth style prep, but now that my hair is getting longer, that just makes my fine hair super flat.

Good night!

I'm 66 and have baby fine hair. Have lost some, taking Biotin twice a day, and my hair dresser showed me what is growing back. Actually wearing my hair longer now....for me. 11 months out and 88 pounds down. Now I can cover the hearing aides I got about 6 weeks ago.

I lost about 3/4 of my hair three years ago to chemo. I used Biotin 10,000 and sprayed my scalp with aloe vera juice and used Nioxin Shampoo. So, although I'm not pleased at the thought of losing my hair again (sleeving November 20), I know it will grow back quickly, and mine grew back a lot thicker and wavy.

I started taking Biotin 10' date='000 mcg about 2 months prior to surgery. I have thin hair as it is so I am trying to stay ahead. I cut my shoulder length hair off so its short and easy to manage. i don't use curling irons or straighteners so hopefully less damage. A good hair system to use is Nioxin...may or may not help. It's great for thin hair.[/quote']

Are u still pre op?