Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Picked Surgery in Mexico, great!... Now what do I do?

Hello Everyone,

Need some help, opinions, and advise here. I decided to do my surgery in Mexico, why? Because I did not want to wait, (bottom-line). I do have insurance, good insurance BSBC however it is a PPO which means I would have to pay 20% out of pocket for every bill I would accrue through-out this VSG process: doctor visits monthly and weekly, nutritionist, surgery blah blahblah. In the long run I believe I still would of paid more out of pocket doing the surgery in the states. Oh, and I live in North Dakota where doctors here are VSG what's that. I truly feel more comfortable having surgery in Mexico where I know my doctor specializes in VSG and only VSG.

Here is what I am having trouble with... Do I consult with my primary care doctor I'm going to Mexico to have the VSG done? I know I have too. What do state doctors say when their patient tells them this? Will my primary doctor still run blood work on me after the fact? What happens next?

What have been some of your experience with your doctors? Thank you my VSG friends? Let me know.

Rosana

Many State side Doctor are not comfortable with mexico surgery with some good reason but mostly from ignorance. You should consult with your PCP and be ready to swap him/her for someone else if they are not supportive. Good Luck

I've also decided to go down to Mexico. Now I have to pick a doctor, a coordinator, a date, etc.

there are a lot of good Dr's in mexico , u can book direct with the Dr or go through a booking agency I've used a agency, u need to look at whats covered in the price mine all is covered except travel, food for support person , complication can be extra, gall bladder hernia, i'll spend 2 night at hospital and 3 at a hotel, read and do your research here and obesity help.com, good luck with ur surgery

I did weeks of research before I chose Dr. Alvarez. I searched and searched and could not find one negative review. He's more expensive then most of the Docs down there, but I wanted to be in a full service hospital for at least 2 days. I saw my PCP last week and she's 100% supportive. She will follow my progress, do the necessary labs, etc. I scheduled a follow up appointment 6 weeks post op just to make sure everything's OK. Dr. Alvarez will give me a full surgical report to bring back to her. My surgery is in 1 week, and I'm 100% sure I made the right decision with choosing Dr. Alvarez. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

Thanks for all your replies guys but maybe I wasn't clear (i know I wasn't clear). I booked my flight and my doctor (Dr. Illan Fraijo) and I am doing the VSG on November 5th of 2013.

Do I tell my primary doctor? I know I have to but then what do I do? Is my doctor going to send me to a nutritionist here in the states etc... Or is this something I Completely do on my own with out my primary full support?

Have any of you ladies gone to your primary care doctor here in the states and what steps have you taken after? Nutritionist, psychologist etc... When it's a self-pay VSG?

I told my PCP prior to mine he was not happy about Mexico cause he had no way of knowing how good my surgeon was . I told him i did had researched well and he was very supportive . Saw me after surgery and ordered labs for me . I think u should be up front with your Dr.

I told my PCP who was more or less neutral about it. He's always supportive of me, I only see him once every couple of years at his request. He has other patients who have had good outcomes with the sleeve, so was neither for or against it. When I get back from Mexico, he'll take care of me as needed. Guess I'm lucky to have a nice relationship with my PCP.

My PCP is extremely supportive. Him being onboard with my decision was very important to me. He does my blood work. Tracks my weight. He is monitoring my positive progress with my comorbidities. sleep apnea and temperamental heart are going the way of the dodo!

Plus Dr. Aceves sent me home with PCP postop follow up needs.

If you haven't already found a good PCP then research it with the same fervor used to research a Mx surgeon.

Good luck

Well, i can tell you how it has been for me....

I was actually between pcps when I decided to have the surgery...I don't have any co-morbidities so other than going every few years for a physical or when I have strep throat or something, I hardly ever see a doctor. I had the surgery and then went to my new PCP three months after surgery and I told her I went to Mexico for bariatric surgery and that I wanted to just follow up with her. She asked me a lot of questions about surgery in mexico and she seemed interested in the process. She checked my incisions and said they looked fantastic and that it was clear the surgeon took good care and that since I didn't have any issues that she would assume that the inside looked as good as the outside. My bloodwork all came back perfect except for my b-12 which was WAY HIGH so she said that I could stop taking the B-12. She said I was doing great and that I should just keep doing whatever it is that I was doing and that I should go back at my one year surgiversary.

Thank you ladies! That's what I needed to hear. My PCP is on vacation till 7/29 but I will be making an appointment and dropping the bomb on her. I hope she is understanding & respect my decision and helps me with my follow-up needs; I would really love her support while on this journey, if not I have no problem switching PCP however, there are not a lot doctors here in Northern North Dakota to choose from.

Thank you for all the good information ladies; I really appreciate all of your input. Keep the good info coming.

I made all the plans to have my surgery in Mexico and then told my PCP. He wants to see me a week after I get back and will do all my blood work.

I talked with my PCP. She is Mexican and went to med school in Mexico, so she actually called a few friends in Mexico to check up on the surgeon I chose and see if he's legit. I believe she also verified his credentials. She gave her blessing and wants me to come in when I get back from Mexico so she can check on me and see how it went.

I talked with my PCP. She is Mexican and went to med school in Mexico' date=' so she actually called a few friends in Mexico to check up on the surgeon I chose and see if he's legit. I believe she also verified his credentials. She gave her blessing and wants me to come in when I get back from Mexico so she can check on me and see how it went.[/quote']

If you don't mind me asking, who did you choose for your surgeon?

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC. That's the one she checked on. The only thing is that she called a few times and spoke to various staff at his office but could never get him to call her back. I talked to the coordinator about this and asked if she could urge him to return her call and she informed me that he doesn't return phone calls. So...I don't know if it's just because he doesn't have time or doesn't think he needs to, but that was a little off-putting. I haven't paid my deposit and committed to a surgeon quite yet, so I'm going back and forth between Dr. Ariel Ortiz and the other Dr. Ortiz with A Lighter Me. A Lighter Me is less expensive, but I feel like they have better customer service. Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC is a Center of Excellence, but the coordinator is a little stand-offish and I've heard that they are a little deceptive when it comes to advertising that they were in Newsweek. Both have good reviews from people on this site.