Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed Food

:) :) :hungry: I had my surgery on Dec. 11, and I am having a horrible time with the food. I know the band is working, I have not had a fill yet but I am not hungry until around 1pm. So I know the band is working I am gagging on those pureed foods so what can I do? I eat only twice a day, I am not hungry but when I eat, I will eat ground beef, potatos and cheese. (chopped really good) Please :help: me because I do not want to dislodge my band. Any Suggestions?

Go slower...and if you aren't hungry why are you eating?

Can you still manage such as broths and Protein shakes?

How about a poached egg?

I ate Gerbers for a few weeks during transition from liquids to mushies...

and slow but surely I found things I could eat...

Ground beef didn't work for me for nearly 12 months!!! Have you tried mashed sweet potatos or yams? Really CRISP bacon worked well for me in SMALL nibbles at about 6-8 months postOp.

pureed home made Soups are delicious, especially with turkey broth.

FF yogurt with fruit such as blueberries worked well for me from about 6 months onward, and even STILL a favorite treat is La_madame's 'yogurt & Peanut Butter swirl' --I add a squirt of liquid stevia. Can you tolerate a few SPOON size shredded wheat soaked well in milk?

What about water-pack canned peaches or pears? Corned beef hash?

Exploring will find a lot of possibles!!!

Keep us posted on your journey.....

I appreciate your wonderful ideas but, When I am hungry I just seem to eat the wrong things. The food I eat agrees with me but I don't want to dislodge my band. I will try corn beef hash, peaches, and pears, Ido not like yogart it taste like spoiled milk.

Thank You much

I found this sample menu for pureed stage in some of the paperwork I got from my nutritionalist. I hope this is of some help to you.

(the times will vary, of course)

7:00-7:30 am ....½ cup fat-free, no sugar-added vanilla yogurt with ¼ cup pureed peaches

8:30am-12:30 pm.... Fluids

1:30-2:00 pm.... ¼ cup mashed potatoes with Protein powder

½ cup pureed chicken

1 Tbsp. fat-free gravy

3:00-7:00 pm.... Fluids

8:00-8:30 pm.... ½ cup grits with Protein Powder

1 pureed poached egg

9:30-12:30 pm.... Fluids

Here are some other examples of allowable choices that are given within my paperwork, during the pureed stage:

Soup:

Egg drop Soup, reduced-fat cream Soups, broth, and bouillon.

Starches:

Cooked,refined cereal; mashed potato.

Vegetables:

Pureed vegetables; vegetable juice.

Fruits:

Applesauce, pureed banana or other fruit without seeds or hulls; Unsweetened fruit juice.

meat, Protein and protein substitutes:

Pureed:fish, tuna, poultry, veal, pork, or beef; Low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat or non-fat cheese; Mashed or pureed tofu, pureed egg or egg substitute.

Milk and milk products:

Skim or 1% milk: sugar-free or low-fat yogurt.

Other:

sugar-free Gelatin, sugar-free and low-fat pudding and sugar-free and low-fat custard.

Keep in mind that if a pureed food is put on a plate it should not spread out completely.

I hope this helps!! Enjoy! :hungry:

Blended Soups

Milk

sugar-free blended yogurt

sugar-free hot cocoa

Carnation instant Breakfast

Sugar-free fudgesicle

Sugar-free pudding

C ooked Cereal (oatmeal, Grits, Cream of Wheat, Farina)

Dry Cereal with fat free milk-soggy

Dannon Lite and Fit creamy yogurt (like a drinkable smothie on the go)

Low-fat cottage cheese (small curd)

chicken, tuna, salmon, crab, Egg, salads made with (low-fat mayo)

premade crab cakes

Mashed potatoes

Unsweetened applesauce

Soft cooked/scrambled eggs

Canned fruit in its own juice

Sugar-free Jell-O

Soft cooked vegetables

Soups should be non-chunky. Low-fat cream soups or pureed low-fat soups like Healthy Choice.

(I bought a little food processor at Wal Mart for $14 from Black and Decker. You can just add any delicious Soup and puree it)

Add tasteless Protein powder to boost Protein in soups.

canned fruit in their own juice (no pineapple) and baby fruit, V-8 juice.

****Avoid overeating/vomiting at all costs. Both may cause slippage of the band and send you back to the operating room.

Eat slowly and chew foods until they are a mushy/thin consistency.

Work your way slowly up to ¼-1/2 cup of food meals.

Do not eat pieces of food that are too large and can block the stomach opening (avoid thick meats and soft breads, opening of the stoma is the size of a dime).

Stop eating when satisfied and comfortable not when overly full. Overeating can cause the pouch to stretch prematurely and may cause vomiting. This may also cause a slip of the band and require surgery.

Eat three meals a day and consume protein with each meal.

Consume one Protein shake (ex: 1/2 cup a few times a day if needed for extra protein)

Always read food labels for low fat, the sugar rule, and high Fiber.

Make sure you journal so you can keep track of what you are eating so you can let your doctor know. Also, you don't want to exceed 1,000-1200 a day.

Also, what was happening to me, was that I was not getting enough Water, cyrstal light so my body was really thirsty not hungry. When I upped the Water intake, my hunger pangs went away.

I hope this helps!!!

Audree:clap2:

I know this is not helpful of me to say, but "grits" made me laugh out loud. :laugh

Reminds me of My Cousin Vinnie.