Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiccups...very painful...

I'm PO day 7 today. I'm still in considerable pain. And it seems I hiccup every 10 minutes or so, and that really hurts. Not sure why everyone else snaps back so well after their surgery except me. I'm usually not really a big baby. 4 yrs ago, my lapband surgery was a breeze.

And it's not like insessesive hiccups, there's only 1 or 2 then they stop. How can I stop them (short of someone scaring the crap out me please!)

Thanks!

I'm sad that no one has responded to your post as I am now postop as well and experiencing the same thing. Not sure if I should chalk up the hiccups to the hernia they repaired or my new tummy telling me its full or in pain. I don't know...

I didn't see this until just now. I had/have the same problem. I had the random 2-3 hiccups for about 4 weeks or so. Now, I only have them once I've eaten (or drank a lot).

Unfortunately this just may be something our bodies do to cope with the changes that have happened to us with the surgery. My Dr really couldn't explain why some people get those random hiccups.

I did eventually notice that it mostly occured when I had lots of gas still. Every time I drank it seemed I was getting gas in (even though I don't use a straw). So maybe it has something to do with that. Not sure if that applies to everyone, but it did for me.

As for the hiccups after eating, well I know people years out who still have that. So for us that experience it, that is just our new full.

hiccups ain't much fun!

Had them for weeks after gall bladder removal in the bad old (pre-laproscopic) days.

hiccups are not terribly uncommon after surgery or anesthesia. They usually go away.

Can also get hiccups with a too-full stomach. Many here use a huccup as a 'stop notice' for meals...

Oh, I am so getting hiccups! (Sleeved 7.31.13) I get them most often, in sets of of one or two, and they are giant and uncomfortable! But once or twice I had repetitive long lasting hiccups! I felt like walking around and breathing in through my nose out through my mouth helped somewhat.

Ugh. I have had the hiccups on and off since adding shakes into my diet. Hurts like an m-effer. Not sure why i get them or how to stop them but my doc says its fine.

Have you ever felt your stomach...I don't know...jump...literally...like it may have pulsed once or throbbed so hard I jumped a mile high in the sky!

I have the same random hiccups. Good news is that they get less painful and less frequent but I am almost 9 weeks out and still get them every day.

Hiccups are the most painful part of this recovery period. My Dr. said they're related to the hiatal hernia repair he had to do before he could complete the gastrectomy. I'm 60 years old, so maybe my recovery period is significantly longer. The two other women that had surgery with me are way ahead in their recovery. Actually, today is the first day I'm beginning to feel "somewhat" normal. Still having the chest tightness and pressure. Feels like I've swallowed a golf ball and it's stuck in my throat. The good news is today is my last day of Clear Liquids. I can start Soups and shakes again tomorrow. That alone will make me feel better. I have not been hungry at all, and today is day 8 for me.

Hiccups are the most painful part of this recovery period. My Dr. said they're related to the hiatal hernia repair he had to do before he could complete the gastrectomy. I'm 60 years old' date=' so maybe my recovery period is significantly longer. The two other women that had surgery with me are way ahead in their recovery. Actually, today is the first day I'm beginning to feel "somewhat" normal. Still having the chest tightness and pressure. Feels like I've swallowed a golf ball and it's stuck in my throat. The good news is today is my last day of clear liquids. I can start Soups and shakes again tomorrow. That alone will make me feel better. I have not been hungry at all, and today is day 8 for me.[/quote']

Im so glad you posted that. Ive had a golf ball somewhere in my esophogus since surgery and for a while i thought it a stuck pill. I also had the hernia repair and the awful hiccups. Thanks!

The same nerve runs through both the stomach and diaphragm so if you eat or drink too fast it irritates/stimulates it to contract. Thorazine is helpful for prolonged hiccups. Warm fluids sipped slowly help as well.

I'm having the same thing but my hiccups mostly start up when I go from laying down to standing. The first few times I though my chest cavity was imploding on itself it hurt so bad! I'm only 6 days postop now.