Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, my name is Frank and I’m 38 years old. I had VSG surgery on July 8th, 2013.

Here’s my story...

I've had a weight problem ever since I was 8 years old. Even so, I was always an active kid who loved to play outside, play most sports and probably took PE class way too seriouslyJ. I played organized football, baseball, basketball & soccer. I was always a little bigger, stronger and taller than most kids my age, so football became one of my strongest sports. As most of you know, there are weight limits in Pop Warner football and every season, I had to cut weight just to make the team. First year it was 5 lbs., next it was 10, then 20. I always succeeded in losing the weight, but it began a vicious weight-cycling pattern for me at a very young age. My last season of Pop Warner, I weighed approx. 170lbs. age 13. After that season, I never had to step on a scale again to play football! My freshman year of football was great…I just played without the anxiety of stepping on the scale to make weight. Unfortunately after the season, things really got out of control for me. I packed on a tremendous amount of weight over a very short period of time. By the time I was 15 years old, I weighed 275 lbs., which meant that I gained over 100 lbs. over 2 years! I was so depressed. I spent most of my early teens inside my room, eating my troubles away. I stopped playing football 10th & 11th grade because I was so out of shape; I isolated myself from friends, avoided family/social gatherings and missed a lot of school. I was pitifully depressed, ashamed and missing out on some of the most important years of my life. Then, by the grace of God, something happened to me toward the end of 11th grade. I literally woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and couldn’t believe my eyes! I said, “How could you let yourself go like this?” Something inside of me just “snapped” and I vowed to lose the weight and get my life back! Through intense dieting and working out 6 days/week, I lost 40 lbs. that summer and got back into football my senior year. I played at 225-230 lbs., not worrying too much about losing more weight since having mass helped me as an offensive lineman. That was a huge accomplishment that truly changed my life. Following the season I was so proud I wasn’t going to stop there. I continued my dieting and exercise routine even more intensely. Time flew by my senior year. My friends and I headed to the Jersey Shore following the Prom and I was now 199lbs.!! NO MORE 200’s!! When I finally graduated that June, I was all the way down to 180Lbs., 32” waist and felt like I was on top of the world!

I took this life-changing experience and decided that I wanted career working in some aspect of health and wellness. I went to college to become a Certified Athletic Trainer (AT) and continued my education in Graduate school to become a Health & PE Teacher; I am presently working in both careers to this day.

So what happened? I gained all of the weight back and more by age 26. I’ve been up and down from 305-270 for 10 years. Not the best feeling when you are working with young, healthy individual’s where your job is to teach them how to be healthy!

See the thing is, even though I conquered my biggest obstacle as a teenager, I never really learned how to manage stress without abusing food. In my world, food is my “heroin”... Some people drink alcohol, some do drugs; I do FOOD.

Through all of the trials and tribulations, I managed to succeed in other aspect of life. I’m happily married for eight years, my wife and I have been blessed with three beautiful children. Our oldest son is 5, our daughter 4, and baby boy is 1 month old; he was born June 12, 2013. I had VSG 25 days after his birth, so my son and I will be sharing meals at some point of this journeyJ.

My choice to have VSG surgery was not an easy one, but what finalized my decision was simple.“I have too much to lose” and I’m NOT talking about weight! I have so much to be happy and proud of that I’m not going to jeopardize these fortunes anymore…WE deserve better! A thinner, healthier and happier man will slowly emerge; having been trapped inside of this obese body for much, much too long. So from now on, I will march forward with my chin up, shoulders back, eyes set on my VSG goal……..life-long health and happiness for me and my family!

Best Wishes to All,

Frank

Wishing you all the best!

Frank thanks so much for telling your story. I enjoy and appreciate everyone's personal story. Best wishes to you on your journey!

I am very touched by your story! How awesome that you will be able to be truly engaged in the lives of your children. That is what I look forward to with my young children. I am so glad I didn't wait until their childhood was gone. I just lost 100 pounds since January - 6 months. I am almost at my goal weight and already at my goal of being a more engaged and active mom! Good luck - keep us posted on your journey.

Thanks for the kind words a Melissa. Wow 100lbs. In 6 months! That's wonderful and encouraging to us all. I'm only 2 weeks out, but down 18 lbs.