Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to start a new 5:2 fast thread that is open to everyone--include pre-op and post-op VSGers (there is another thread that you can read but can't post to unless you say you are at least 1 year post-op). Obviously if you are considering this plan, which involves very low calorie intake 2 days a week and eating regularly the other 5, you should do so with your RD's and surgeon's/PCP's approval and guidance. If you are losing well using traditional means, then you might not need it--but it should be up to you and your medical team if you are interested in giving it a try.

Here is some info:

dinner. For us, that would be tough to do given our capacity, unless we did very calorie dense foods at dinner.

For my "feast" days, I'm going to eat regularly (800-950 calories, up to 1100 when exercising hard, if I feel that I need them), and for my fast days I'm going to do Protein Shakes with low-carb veggies if desired. Many/most people eat regular foods on fast days. Fast days cannot go over 500 calories, so that will be about 2 to 3 Protein shakes depending on the source, plus about 100-150 cals of low-carb veggies. I'm going to continue to keep my diet high protein/low carb. I will continue to exercise and am aiming for 100 ounces of Water per day.

I will post here to let everyone know how it's going and hope that others will post about their experience as well!

Ill be watching

I'm still pre-op and in the middle of my NUT monitored diet, which is not working out well. I'm thinking of doing the 5:2 now, to get a head start on my weight loss. Not sure what the NUT will think, but I'm going to start doing it anyway ....

I'm still pre-op and in the middle of my NUT monitored diet, which is not working out well. I'm thinking of doing the 5:2 now, to get a head start on my weight loss. Not sure what the NUT will think, but I'm going to start doing it anyway ....

If your dietitian is anything like mine, he/she will likely be very supportive. Mine is awesome and I sent her some links on email, and then we discussed in person.

Im 7 months post op and stalled for the past 2 almost 3 months.

Im giving this a try. Ill try anything given i have 50pounds to goal weight. Pls post results after 1 week.

Im starting today.

Thank you for starting this, I hope it will get some good advice.

I'm glad you started it too. There is no reason there can't be 2 or more groups trying this out.

I'm glad you started it too. There is no reason there can't be 2 or more groups trying this out.

Yes, and I think it's always good to err on the side of inclusivity and love hearing different perspectives.

Yes' date=' and I think it's always good to err on the side of inclusivity and love hearing different perspectives.[/quote']

Hey just noticed this, good for you guys! And the links are very helpful for those wanting to learn about the process. Lots of info there .

Hey just noticed this, good for you guys! And the links are very helpful for those wanting to learn about the process. Lots of info there .

The last link in particular is very helpful--it's a forum of people doing the fast. Dr. Mosley, the author of the book, is from the UK, so lots of the sites have that orientation.

Today was a fast day and my goal was 500 calories, 60 g of Protein and 30 or fewer carbs. I ended up at 501 calories, 58 g of Protein and 34 carbs. Pretty good. I feel really great. I am just finishing my snack (Protein shake with leftover coffee and Torani syrup) so no more food until at least 7 tomorrow morning (12-hour fast). Stay tuned, and feel free to share what you are doing here! Curious to know what protein range others are at on fast days. I find that it's easier to get plenty of Water in on a fast day.

FastDay1

I fasted yesterday and gained a lb. My recommendation to anyone trying this is don't weigh every day. The scale jumps all over the place and it gets depressing. I was ecstatic to see that 2 lb drop , and I didn't go off plan and gained it back.

I wish I could keep myself from weighing every day. Maybe I'll take my scale to my daughter.

I wouldn't recommend fasting til one is at least a year out from surgery. You need to make sure your body is healed and have had blood tests to make sure you are getting all your nutrients before you start fasting.

I wouldn't recommend fasting til one is at least a year out from surgery. You need to make sure your body is healed and have had blood tests to make sure you are getting all your nutrients before you start fasting.

Your body is definitely healed at a few months out. My bloodwork is good and I'm doing this with the blessing of my RD and surgeon. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this plan or if you read any of the links, but the fasting day is not a complete fast--it's a 500-calorie day for women and 600 for men. You are creating a weekly calorie deficit by doing this but you are also getting your body to stay out of homeostatis by mixing up your carb/calorie/protein intake from day to day (something my RD highly recommends, especially for slower losers). I agree that if someone is losing steadily at a good rate that there's no reason to try this plan. But for those of us who are slow losers and are looking for a way to do something different to get different results--it can be an excellent option.