Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your long term fitness goals

If you have read any of my recent posts, you can understand I enjoy fitness as a post op VSG. Pretty sure it is my transfer addiction from previon version of self! I know there are tons of other fitness enthusiasts out there from long distance bikers, to runners, to cross fitters, to power lifters, to (fill in the blank).

The question I want to pose to VSG today: what is your 5-10 year plan with regards to fitness? What are your short term and long term goals?

Here is what I have been thinking about recently:

1. Summer 2014 - qualify for regional cross fit competition

2. Summer 2015 - qualify as a finalist in regional cross fit

2. Summer 2016 - transition into parkour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour) and mma and get good at them

3. Summer 2018 - audition for American ninja warrior (really inspires me, especially this season on TV)

4. Summer 2020 - qualify as a finalist in American ninja warrior

Big goals, I know! I do not believe in small goals. We are all winners when we set our mind to achieving large goals.

kind of embarrased to mention my goals which are in stark contrast to those above but with my damaged knee and advanced age there are many limitations. i have always loved being active and would love to get back to fitness.

1. be able to use my concept 2 erg and enter into competition again

2. be able to ride my road bike and be able to ride an hour at good speed without struggle

3. back to my energetic hiking in the Rockies

4. the biggest, absolute biggest goal is to be able to go up a rock wall. i have always been heavy and have had great lower body strength and endurance but never the upper body strength to allow for this. It looks like fun!

1) Ride a normal, lightweight bicycle. Not a fat bicycle.

2) SkyDIVING! Always wanted to, never been thin enough

3) Join back into martial arts

4) Be hot enough that girls look at me / talk to me when I visit the gym. Right now they ignore me like I'm a disease

kind of embarrased to mention my goals which are in stark contrast to those above but with my damaged knee and advanced age there are many limitations. i have always loved being active and would love to get back to fitness.

1. be able to use my concept 2 erg and enter into competition again

2. be able to ride my road bike and be able to ride an hour at good speed without struggle

3. back to my energetic hiking in the Rockies

4. the biggest' date=' absolute biggest goal is to be able to go up a rock wall. i have always been heavy and have had great lower body strength and endurance but never the upper body strength to allow for this. It looks like fun![/quote']

These are excellent long term goals! Thanks for sharing them. We all have our own set of goals so they are all worthy with respect to our own visions. Everyone, do not be afraid to write down your goals as they are going to be your guiding light.

My fitness goal is not so extreme as American Ninja Warrior, that's for sure! What I would like to be able to do is complete a sprint triathlon with my hubby (who competes regularly in marathons and triathlons), and spend several hours mountain bike riding rather than only 30 minutes which was the most I could ever do. I just started working with a trainer, and he thinks I can accomplish both within one year. I'm not so confident, but I am willing to work really hard to get myself in shape, so we'll see what happens.

1. Down-hill ski again (lived in CO ski town in the 70's, worked on the mountain and skied to work and back each day). Have not been on skis for approx. 16 years. 2. Hiking. I'm sure there's more but 2 off the top of my head.

1) Ride a normal' date=' lightweight bicycle. Not a fat bicycle.

2) SkyDIVING! Always wanted to, never been thin enough

3) Join back into martial arts

4) Be hot enough that girls look at me / talk to me when I visit the gym. Right now they ignore me like I'm a disease[/quote']

I can totally relate with 4. Before I got married, this was the story of my life, getting ignored whenever trying to make eye contact or be friendly to girls. It was a huge aggravation to me and I am sure just contributed to the negative feedback loop of weight gain. To this day, I never have figured out why girls do that. Are they that superficial that you have to be hot and attractive before they will give you the time of day? So disappointing as a former obese guy. They never got to know me. Their loss. Is that about how you feel about it? Is it a self confidence thing they have trouble with or an elitist thing towards non hot guys? Enquiring minds want to know. Huge digression from original thread topic, but now I am really curious.

I have a goal:

I would like to do a triathlon sometime in the next few years. It is a goal my husband and I want to do together. As soon as he finishes school in the spring, we will be dedicating a lot of time to training.

I want to continue doing other races. In the last 2 1/2 months I have done a 12k and two 5k's. although, I am new to races and right now I just focus on finishing, not time :)

I watch ninja warrior religiously and i hope you get on the show!!!

My long-term fitness goal would be a triathlon.

I'm still doing research on what kind of triathlons there are and where... But that would be my ultimate goal!

I also want to get a personal fitness trainer before all of this happens of course so I can be well-prepared.

I can totally relate with 4. Before I got married' date=' this was the story of my life, getting ignored whenever trying to make eye contact or be friendly to girls. It was a huge aggravation to me and I am sure just contributed to the negative feedback loop of weight gain. To this day, I never have figured out why girls do that. Are they that superficial that you have to be hot and attractive before they will give you the time of day? So disappointing as a former obese guy. They never got to know me. Their loss. Is that about how you feel about it? Is it a self confidence thing they have trouble with or an elitist thing towards non hot guys? Enquiring minds want to know. Huge digression from original thread topic, but now I am really curious.[/quote']

Not ALL girls are like that! For me, personality was always WAY more important than looks. But most guys are disappointed when the HOT girls don't give them the time of day - they're just as dismissive of us plain girls!

Are they that superficial that you have to be hot and attractive before they will give you the time of day?

There are countless videos on YouTube showing hot women wearing a fat suit, and getting treated like crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1Z-si4skY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X031RoEZvw

Funny how they instantly feel bad about themselves, just putting it on for a day.

Many people just don't like fatties (men or women). Way it goes.

I'm losing weight so I won't die of a heart attack at age 50, and can live to play with my grandchildren. Plus I can be comfortable in my own skin. If I get noticed by some women, then there's a bonus.

My goals are more modest, but I am definitely becoming more excited about them:

1. Continue with my workouts and build up my endurance & strength

2. Finish the Couch to 5k program

3. Be comfortable running on a regular basis

4. Get up the nerve to enroll in martial arts training

5. Climb a rock wall

These probably don't seem like a big deal to most people, but I've NEVER run before, I'm incredibly intimidated by the thought of participating in martial arts, and I'm terrified of heights. So all of these are stretch goals for me! But I think I might actually be able to do them!

I can totally relate with 4. Before I got married' date=' this was the story of my life, getting ignored whenever trying to make eye contact or be friendly to girls. It was a huge aggravation to me and I am sure just contributed to the negative feedback loop of weight gain. To this day, I never have figured out why girls do that. Are they that superficial that you have to be hot and attractive before they will give you the time of day? So disappointing as a former obese guy. They never got to know me. Their loss. Is that about how you feel about it? Is it a self confidence thing they have trouble with or an elitist thing towards non hot guys? Enquiring minds want to know. Huge digression from original thread topic, but now I am really curious.[/quote']

Maybe the girl(s) in question were already in a committed relationship and didn't want to give out false vibes. Or maybe they were having one of those, "I feel completely unattractive today," days.

Most likely it was more about her (& her current head space) than a negative perception of (or reaction to) you.

I can totally relate with 4. Before I got married, this was the story of my life, getting ignored whenever trying to make eye contact or be friendly to girls. It was a huge aggravation to me and I am sure just contributed to the negative feedback loop of weight gain. To this day, I never have figured out why girls do that. Are they that superficial that you have to be hot and attractive before they will give you the time of day? So disappointing as a former obese guy. They never got to know me. Their loss. Is that about how you feel about it? Is it a self confidence thing they have trouble with or an elitist thing towards non hot guys? Enquiring minds want to know. Huge digression from original thread topic, but now I am really curious.

Not all girls care about looks- I met and married my hubby when he was a fat couch potato and worked as an IT nerd. A year after we were married 9/11 happened and he decided to join the Army. He had to loose 60 pounds to join and lost another 20 pounds after he joined. He could barely run two miles when he joined and now is a sexy PT stud running marathons and triathlons! I am sure than many superficial and shallow girls passed him by without a second glance, but I didn't and it was the best decision of my life. Their loss, my wonderful gain. He also met and married me when I was a fat couch potato, and now I am doing my part to be less potato-like and work on my health and fitness.