Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your long term fitness goals

There are several things I would love to do that I've never done because I'm too fat:

1. Run a 5k, and eventually a 10k

2. Skiing

3. Parasailing

4. Hiking up a mountain

5. Do a pull-up (or 5, or 20)

I'm also looking forward to ice skating and bike riding with my son... It's been over 20 years since I've done either of those things.

These seem very trivial compared with everyone else's big dreams...

You quit that right now!! Don't you dare dismiss your goals and dreams because you think they somehow don't measure up. They are your goals and dreams so ergo they are important because they belong to you!!!

You quit that right now!! Don't you dare dismiss your goals and dreams because you think they somehow don't measure up. They are your goals and dreams so ergo they are important because they belong to you!!!

Thank you for that!

Thank you for that!

You are very welcome :)

Good topic. Just started the gym again a month ago.

Some long term goals:

1. Be able to bench press my body weight 10 times.(Should be easier as I keep losing)

2. Be able to finish a 5K Spartan run.

3. Be able to do 50 pull ups, never been able to do 1.

4. Six pack abs.(Probably the toughest goal)

I'd like to run for a hobby with my kids and learn yoga.

7 years ago I was doing sprint distance triathlons. I was inspired by a book called "Slow Fat Triathlete". Very inspirational. I hated the running aspect but love biking. I have been riding 10 miles every night for the past week. Tonight I did 14 miles. By summer 2014 I want to ride in a century race (100 miles)

Short term:

Return to strength training class 2 days per week. Find a way to make it work with arthritis.

Go on a hike, not a walk. A group hike.

Long term:

Stay healthy, fit, and strong into my 70s (less than 14 years away)

As you can see, I'm not much of an exercise person, but I do it anyway because I want to stay fit and healthy.

Lynda

Wow, sitting here and reading this thread has my crying as I want for all the things I wish to do. My life has been so limited by size. I have weighed over 400 lbs for 30 years.

Here are some fitness goals in no order of desire and not taking into account whether my hips and knees will even be able to support me in them:

Martial arts- I have always wanted to learn

Hiking, biking, rowing, kayaking

My biggest one really, the one that has haunted my mind since I watched some documentary, when i was 19, on people who did it is to hike the entire international Appalachian trail. I'm from Canada so I feel the need to add the part that enters my home land.

My family were never outdoors people. I have never camped, never hiked, never walked more than 3 miles(and that hurt my body so bad I couldn't walk for days afterwards)

Well you asked my goals, but i gave you my dream.

For now a small goal: just bloody go outside and walk everyday while the weather is still good. Might not seem like much, but for someone who has been sedentary her entire life and spent 10 solid years as a shut-in, and the last 10 digging out from that life it is a big thing to make and keep that commitment.

Thankyou all for sharing your goals, I appreciate that others will talk about what the want for a life besides losing weight.

Many blessings,

Michelle

Wow' date=' sitting here and reading this thread has my crying as I want for all the things I wish to do. My life has been so limited by size. I have weighed over 400 lbs for 30 years.

Here are some fitness goals in no order of desire and not taking into account whether my hips and knees will even be able to support me in them:

My biggest one really, the one that has haunted my mind since I watched some documentary, when i was 19, on people who did it is to hike the entire international Appalachian trail. I'm from Canada so I feel the need to add the part that enters my home land.

My family were never outdoors people. I have never camped, never hiked, never walked more than 3 miles(and that hurt my body so bad I couldn't walk for days afterwards)

For now a small goal: just bloody go outside and walk everyday while the weather is still good. Might not seem like much, but for someone who has been sedentary her entire life and spent 10 solid years as a shut-in, and the last 10 digging out from that life it is a big thing to make and keep that commitment.

Thankyou all for sharing your goals, I appreciate that others will talk about what the want for a life besides losing weight.

Many blessings,

Michelle[/quote']

I am looking forward to seeing your posts on here as you meet those goals!

Wow, sitting here and reading this thread has my crying as I want for all the things I wish to do. My life has been so limited by size. I have weighed over 400 lbs for 30 years.

Many blessings,

Michelle

One step at a time, one day at a time :)

I concur. Long term goals are best achieved by taking one day at a time. Little events as well as big events will seemingly align to your goals when you open your mind to achieving them on a daily basis.

My long term goals... Get crazy fit like I used to be. Resting heart rate in the 40's. Able to run for hours without feeling like I'm going to croak. The fitness model body I was well on my way to having wouldn't hurt my feelings. But that would be a happy side benefit. Would like to be able to do pullups with weight tied to my waist. Want to get on the elliptical and "run" flat out for 45 minutes without getting my heart rate above maximum. Want to pick up a 50 pound bag of dogfood one handed again.

Used to be this fit. Miss it.

Sknyinside - wow, it sounds like you were quite a warrior in your days of yonder. Very nice! Pull ups with weights attached? That sounds really hard, but uber impressive. I just got to the point of doing unassisted pull ups a few weeks ago (between 10-20). I hope to someday do pull ups with weight. Pull ups are still "hard" for me and I look forward to the day they are easy and fun. :)

I couldn't do a pullup now if my life depended on it. But, yes, I was hardcore in the gym :D . It's been within the last 10 years, so hopefully it's attainable once again. It was like prozac for me. Can't wait to be physically able to hit it hard again!

1. Down-hill ski again (lived in CO ski town in the 70's' date=' worked on the mountain and skied to work and back each day). Have not been on skis for approx. 16 years. 2. Hiking. I'm sure there's more but 2 off the top of my head.[/quote']

That sounds like a dream job! I'll take this dream, Fiddleman. I live 45 minutes from New Orleans so no snow & no mountains but a girl can dream, right?