Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year later. The good...and the bad. A truthful post

Today is my one year surgiversy. It also happened to be the day of my one year check up. It all started pretty great. I walked in and all the employees were making comments on how great I looked, they asked if I would be interested in a commercial spot or a website spotlight...my surgeon came in and actually brought another surgeon to come in and look at me, stating "this is why we do this!". I was on cloud 9.

I weigh 121 pounds at 5'4". I have lost 111% of my excess body weight. I am healthy, happy and doing great except for some pretty icky acid reflux. My life is totally different. It is really sad, but the world is so much kinder to a skinny person. People smile, comment on how they like your dress, shoes or hair and I have oddly gotten much further in the corporate ladder. I would like to think it is because of something I am doing, other than my new found confidence...but no, it is my looks. Men that I don't think even SAW me before are all over me and I have discovered for the most part they are pigs. Lol :)

I have had a few complications from surgery, all relatively small other than drop foot. (This is a real complication of rapidly losing a lot of weight and damaging your no longer cushioned peroneal nerve from crossing your new, bony legs)

My weight loss was weird. 5 pounds overnight, nothing for weeks, then 10 pounds in a week and nothing for a month. There seemed to be no reason for the weird pattern. I went from a 16 jean/XXL or XL top to a 2/XS or small top. My shoe size was an 8.5 and is now a 7.

Towards the end of my appointment I mentioned that my acid was still out of control and he wanted to x ray. DAMN IT. I have an paraesophageal hernia and he said I need a sleeve revision and repair of the "hernia" to get any relief. Basically my new, much smaller tummy is slipping into my esophagus.

In short, yesterday I had big plans to tell you guys all my good news, and now I am seriously bumming.

What now? I am scheduled for revision in September. I don't want to go through this again, and am afraid of losing more weight from the new surgery. It has a longer recovery and another liquid/purée diet. 121-122 is already a bit too small for my build, and my surgeon said he wanted to schedule me for September, trying to gain a bit before going back in. I wondered if I heard him right. Is the man that has harped healthy choices, lean Protein and veggies really telling me to GAIN weight.

Has anyone else had to have a revision due to a para esophageal slip?

Now you have me scared. Just got home today from a Tues surgery and am, still pretty miserable. No one warned me about the pain involved. I know its surgery, which I have ahd many of, but this one seems to be the worst. I don't find your post encouraging at all. Now I'm pretty scared. Thought once Id passed the phase of a "staple line leak" in a week or so, I would be in the clear. If they took out 85% of your stomach to start with, whats left for them to take?

Scared. Needing some security

I am not trying to scare you. Read through my old posts. I was a miserable sleever. I really used to regret my decision to have surgery. Slowly, life got better and better and even after all this, I would likely do it again.

I am now the woman that has been hiding inside that chubby girl trying to claw my way out. I just need to accept my complications, out on my big girl panties and move forward.

Today is my one year surgiversy. It also happened to be the day of my one year check up. It all started pretty great. I walked in and all the employees were making comments on how great I looked' date=' they asked if I would be interested in a commercial spot or a website spotlight...my surgeon came in and actually brought another surgeon to come in and look at me, stating "this is why we do this!". I was on cloud 9.

I weigh 121 pounds at 5'4". I have lost 111% of my excess body weight. I am healthy, happy and doing great except for some pretty icky acid reflux. My life is totally different. It is really sad, but the world is so much kinder to a skinny person. People smile, comment on how they like your dress, shoes or hair and I have oddly gotten much further in the corporate ladder. I would like to think it is because of something I am doing, other than my new found confidence...but no, it is my looks. Men that I don't think even SAW me before are all over me and I have discovered for the most part they are pigs. Lol :)

I have had a few complications from surgery, all relatively small other than drop foot. (This is a real complication of rapidly losing a lot of weight and damaging your no longer cushioned peroneal nerve from crossing your new, bony legs)

My weight loss was weird. 5 pounds overnight, nothing for weeks, then 10 pounds in a week and nothing for a month. There seemed to be no reason for the weird pattern. I went from a 16 jean/XXL or XL top to a 2/XS or small top. My shoe size was an 8.5 and is now a 7.

Towards the end of my appointment I mentioned that my acid was still out of control and he wanted to x ray. DAMN IT. I have an paraesophageal hernia and he said I need a sleeve revision and repair of the "hernia" to get any relief. Basically my new, much smaller tummy is slipping into my esophagus.

In short, yesterday I had big plans to tell you guys all my good news, and now I am seriously bumming.

What now? I am scheduled for revision in September. I don't want to go through this again, and am afraid of losing more weight from the new surgery. It has a longer recovery and another liquid/purée diet. 121-122 is already a bit too small for my build, and my surgeon said he wanted to schedule me for September, trying to gain a bit before going back in. I wondered if I heard him right. Is the man that has harped healthy choices, lean Protein and veggies really telling me to GAIN weight.

Has anyone else had to have a revision due to a para esophageal slip?[/quote']

Please keep us posted. I'm glad your surgeon looked into your acid issues. Maybe this has caused your misey all along? I hope your surgery goes well and you feel better than ever when they're done. :-)

I am sorry about your complication. I hope it all goes well & you feel better soon. Congrats on your weight loss. And I agree - men can be piggies! lol

You have done an amazing job with your sleeve and erratic weight loss - but you made the sleeve a success. Now you know why you had the unbearable acid reflux (am pre-op and have it really bad).I know this is not the outcome that you wanted. If I were you, I would work on putting on a 20lb buffer, for the Sept. surgery

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a sleeve revision? Are they going to make your stomach smaller?

Hopefully the new surgery relieves your acid pain and your recovery is easy. To me trying to gain weight is a scary slope. I would be afraid I would fall back into bad habits! You will do fine!

Thank you for your honesty and your humility. Complications can happen to anyone. I hope after your surgery your acid pain will be much better - it's an awful thing to live with. I can understand your concerns about a second surgery too. There are liquids and puree's that are not so light in calories/sugar you could have if your surgeon gives the OK. That should help stem continued weight loss until you're back on your maintenance diet. Other than the complication it seems your health and wellbeing has dramatically improved. It was a hard road but you overcame so much and you should be very proud :D .

I'm sorry for your struggles, and I'm sorry you are facing a revision. However, it seems that you have a wonderful dr. and hopefully he can guide you through this process. I agree with whoever said that there are liquid/mushies that are not considered low-calorie and you might have to consider that in order to keep your weight from slipping lower.

I'm glad you shared your struggles here, because not every surgery is going to be perfect, easy, and without a struggle. My heart breaks for those who have complications and it's a big fear going into this type of surgery because it is elective. We all question ourselves and wonder if the benefits outweigh the risks.

It sounds as if you have found some peace and acceptance, but there is probably more to come after the hernia repair. Hopefully, once you are healed from that, and your weight stabilizes in an area you can be comfortable with, things will look much brighter. Hugs to you!

GM' date=' I am struggling with sweets-sugar. I am an addict. My nutritionist tells me to stop cold turkey. If I could do that I would not have needed the surgery. Do or have you struggled. Please share your success and advise. It will be 1 year next month and I'm falling into all habits and am scared. Thank you in advance.

Jo[/quote']

I have the same type of hernia. I am a band patient who was hoping for the sleeve. Now the doctor has suggested gastric bypass. I'm now waiting for approval.

Bumping this way up from the past. I ended up not doing a second surgery, and am happy with my decision. Now 28 months out from surgery, and I am holding steady at between 112-116 pounds with little to no effort. I am scheduled for a Tummy Tuck and breast augmentation next week, the last step in the process for me.

@@hm734, so glad to hear that you didn't have to have the 2nd surgery!! I will be having SG in December. Tell me, are you still having acid reflux issues? and if you are, how are you handling this??

I do still have reflux, but oddly enough it got better once I stopped taking the 24 hour meds. It was worse for the first 2 weeks or so, but now I just take a preventative if I eat something I know will bother me (anything Tomato, bread or with caffeine) and pop a few tums when I need them.