Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on day 1 of my preop diet. Get my sleeve on the 24th.

I have a question about drinking coffee. I usually drink 2 large coffee a morning and I'm curious if I need to stop this while on my preop diet? I realize postop I will not be able to consume that much but do I need to stop drinking it today?

I drank coffee up until the day before surgery and picked it up again about 5 days post op. I had no problems. The only reason you may want to taper down at this point is so you can get used to drinking less. I used to need 2 cups a day (not large cups) to get me through but now one cup in the morning is all I need.

I still drank my one cup preop and had no issues losing weight, but after my sleeve I am only drinking Decaf and only once in a while.........not really missing it! Good luck!

Did your NUT not say anything about this? I start my pre op liquid diet Tuesday and my NUT said I am only allowed one cup (8 oz.) of Decaf each day on it.

I would taper down over the next week so you don't get headaches. But yes coffee for most people is off limits after.

Why is coffee off limits? Just curious. I had no nutritional consult before or after so don't know these things.

Why is coffee off limits? Just curious. I had no nutritional consult before or after so don't know these things.

I think in the beginning because its acidic and also because it can dehydrate you.

That being said, about 3 or 4 months after surgery I started having some again but I now mix my Beans 1/2 Decaf 1/2 regular.

Though my doctor said no coffee again...

I think the basic reason is because most people don't or won't drink it black as in calorie free. Most load it up with useless sweetners and full calorie dairy items.

I drank/drink it blk with stevia drops or Torani sf syrups. Follow your drs orders though

My doc is fine with coffee, and I have continued to drink it post-op. HOWEVER, I drink a LOT less, and my sleeve cannot handle it straight up black anymore - too acidic. However, I enjoy drinking starbucks non-fat lattes - they are a good source of Protein AND caffeine! And my sleeve is fine with them. Also, I use American Bariatrics Cappucino mix - I have one every morning mixed with a cup of regular coffee. 90 calories, 15 grams of protein, DELICIOUS, and it gets my morning started on the right foot. I used to drink a lot more coffee - I have definitely cut back. But I am still able to get in my coffee in a protein-rich form, so I feel better about it. I also enjoy unsweetened iced tea in the afternoon if I need a little caffeine pick-me-up.

I was told by my nutritionist that you should avoid caffein after surgery because it is a diuretic and you will pee out too much of what little H2O you do take in, which is bad right after surgery because of your limited intake.

Now that I am a year out, I have no ssiues with Water intake and can afford to lose a little of it. I am not a coffee drinker though and only get caffein from the Mio Energy that I add to the Water I do drink (which is not added to every bottle, maybe 1-2 a day).

Oh, not to mention, the Mio Energy is a zero calorie additive so you get your caffein w/o the calories!!!! Big plus for me considering the alternative of Redbull!

I heard that caffine impedes healing but I also know it is a dieuretic. I went to Decaf, tastes just find

Caffeine sends false signals to your kidneys telling it to pull Water from your body (by way of blood flow through the kidneys). So it definitely puts you at a higher risk for dehydration.

And yes, it does impede the healing process. Blood flow is directly affected by hydration. The repair mechanisms sent to the traumatized area of your body are all transported by blood flow.

With that being said, I have still had a few cups of coffee since about 2 weeks post-op. I was a 2-3 cups per day coffee drinker prior to surgery. It did make me feel some discomfort, but I also don't find that it's as tasty as I remember. Sad about that...

I had my last cup of coffee at 10pm the night before surgery! Luv my coffee. Haven't had in in my 6 days post op, however. When I asked why it says on my post op diet I can have Decaf but not regular, the nurse answered "cuz our dietitian is a nazi"

Still scared to drink it. Made a pot for hubby this morning and it smelled nasty

coffee is not a diuretic and will not dehydrate you unless you are drinking 5+ cups a day, so says the mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclini...-drinks/AN01661

My bariatrics team forbids coffee for six months after surgery, and advises moderation after that, because coffee is acidic and it may cause stomach problems/damage.