Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking 18+ months to reach goal

I just want to chat with some folk who its has taken over 18 months to get to their weight loss goal.....my doctor and his staff hammered in 12-18 months, but me being 13 months post op and I've only lost alittle over half as of right now.....the reality is that it just may take me longer than 18 months....its starting to depress me that I'm not losing good....

I just need to know that there is hope....my therapist tried to reassure me today, but I just feel so bad....let me stop before I start crying

Check out Coops, she is still working on reaching goal at 3 years, I am doing the same thing at 2 1/2 years. There are a number of people here who have not yet reached goal, or reached it and gained some weight back. Everyone is different, and you can lose more weight even after the "honeymoon" is over.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/83844-how-many-vets-are-actually-at-goal-and-staying-there/

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/28952-gonna-get-to-goal-wanna-join-me/page__st__1420#entry910284

and some of us in the same boat are trying the 5:2 eating system and have a private group Here: You can take a look at it, and if you want to try the 5:2, let us know and we will add you to the members. Its for people over one year who are using the system. Good luck! It is possible, but not easy for some of us! I am now 15 pounds from goal.

"Goal" is relative and is dependent on the individual. I'm assuming you are referring to goal weight. I had many goals, one of which was goal weight but probably my #3 or #4 goal after getting off of my meds, feeling better, etc. I'm a little over 18 months and still not at goal weight. <_< I'm not overly worried about it, but I'm still wanting to get there. It's the last goal left for me to accomplish from this surgery. Main thing is and something to consider.......is overall health. But I understand that the number on the scale can often be symbolic of the other goals reached. Just maybe try not to obsess too much over the number on the scale and try not to beat yourself up (or let your Dr) beat you up if you don't make your goal weight. :)

Hey! Coops here... I am still trying to get to goal at over 3 years out... don't worry you are not alone in this adventure.

Now, I haven't lost a pound in 21 mths... despite my trying and trying, but what I have lost is 2 dress sizes in that time! Weird right? Goal is absolutely relative... and what might be right for you may be wrong for someone else. I've been told by many that I shouldn't lose anymore... ha! Wrong! I know I look better than I did 3 years ago, and I am so much more healthier and fitter that I have been in over 20 years, but now I want to LOOK as good as I FEEL! So I refuse to give up!

I had a TT in March and that really has helped me not only by getting rid of the excess skin, but also by realising the huge achievement that I have committed to... although I am not at goal, I have not regained either - so my position is kinda bitter sweet. I suppose every cloud has a silver lining and all that jazz.

My advise to you; take stock of what you HAVE achieved in that last 13-14 mths. Don't pressure yourself because your body won't like it! Remember, there is no expiry date on the sleeve and that is one thing I am determined to prove!

All the best and never give up!

It took me 18 months to reach my goal weight, and I know others as well that are still losing, even 3 years post op (one I met through the same place I had my surgery and she has lost 266lbs and is 3 years out and still slowly losing little by little).

So don't get discouraged! There is no expiry date on the sleeve and it will still work with you if you let it even 3+ years out. Ask any of us vets and you will see that the restriction is still there!

Hey there, I'm pre sleeve but I have learned one thing for sure,if nothing else, is that this surgery is a wl tool, and it is a LIFE TIME, LIFE STYLE CHANGE:) operative word being LIFE! ik that we all have goals that we want to get to at certain times but I feel as long as we have breath in our bodies, we have that long to work at it. U have loss greatly nd now the body wants to njoy itself nd rest nd reset. Give it time. No matter what ur doc or any1 says, we have a lifetime to get to goal. Y do I believe that? Bc this surgery will/has given us all a second chance at life! So what's the hurry;) God bless us all nd gl as u continue on this life long journey of successes, however long it takes us:). Stay positive:))