Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Ghrelin Research

interesting study, thanks for posting

Thanks! Just read it very interesting :-)

Good read. Thanks

I am a 3 yr vet of VSG and have recently begin experimenting with low calorie again (600cals) On my low cal days, it's not that I feel "hunger" per se, but I do feel empty and the desire to eat is overwhelming, especially as day turns into night. At night I think constantly about food and liken it to the obsessive need of a junkie or alcoholic :(. It is and is not, hunger. I can remember vividly what it felt like, physically and mentally, to be completely indifferent to food - how it was immediately after surgery.

I wonder if naturally skinny people, the kind of people who take one or two bites of chocolate cake and actually wrap up THE LEFTOVERS (!!) and actually forget they are in the fridge until they go BAD (!!!) ... I wonder if it will be proven that those people have almost no ghrelin in their system. Has a ghrelin suppressor been invented yet?

Has a ghrelin suppressor been invented yet?

Yes, it's called VSG. :)

When I was researching whether or not to get the sleeve, I came upon something about ghrelin and it just described me to a tee. When you get the sleeve, they remove the fundus part of your stomach where most of the ghrelin is made, so you feel less (or not at all) hungry at first. We will begin making more ghrelin again, but not nearly as much. It sealed the deal for me to get this surgery. I'm only 7 days out, but I'm loving my sleeve. The hunger is only barely there and only when my stomach is truly empty. I would never have been able to stay on a diet this low calorie for even two days if it weren't for my sleeve. It rocks!!!

Ghrelin comes back though' date=' that's what many sleeve vets come to realize ...[/quote']

Do you think it's to the same extent? I used to be hungry constantly and I'm so hoping that doesn't return.

I had the same hopes. I am about 10 weeks out from surgery. What I have realized is that I have NO IDEA what it is to be hungry. In the "before time" I just ate all the time, so I was NEVER hungry. Now I can't tell the difference between mental and physical hunger. SO, I just keep to the plan, assume it's ALL in my head and fight to succeed! Here's hoping that ghrelin helps...

For me, not being hungry is the most amazing part of my surgery. Before surgery, my eating habits were poor and I would not eat Snacks, become ravenously hungry, and then overeat. When I was researching VSG one if the things that intrigued me was not being hungry. I thought it would be nice if that happened to me, but was expecting to be hungry. I can remember going to the hospital the morning of my surgery so hungry I could have knawed off my arm.... Afterwards, simply amazed that I was not hungry, even in the beginning when I would have 200 calories in a day- it was several weeks before I felt my first twinge of hunger. Now, if I have gone hours since eating, I start to feel slightly nauseous which is my new way of my body telling me to eat. Maybe once a week I actually feeling something like hunger, but it is so different than before. If I were hungry all the time now I know I would not be as successful with my weight loss because those feelings of hunger are what triggered my binge eating. I know this won't last forever, but I am really enjoying and taking full advantage of this now....

Thanks for posting and thank you for everyone for sharing.

I have no doubt this article is 100% accurate. I have used the drug Phentermine on 2 different occasions along with the WWs plan and each time I lost 50-90 pounds without any trouble, once pre-kids, once after. I didn't exercise more than I do normally (which is a lot but only because I do activities I enjoy) and it was very easy for me to stay on plan because I never wanted food, never thought about food, and didn't obsess about what my next meal would be like I did when I dieted without Phentermine.

I weened myself to the lowest dose, took 1/2 every other day and was able to maintain my loss, and still had no hunger other than physical.

When I was diagnosed with a lemon-sized brain tumor, I stopped Phentermine, obviously, and had surgery. Because Phentermine increases the risk of seizures, I didn't try it again until I was two years seizure free and again, I did great! I lost almost all the weight I had gained but my neurologist wouldn't give me the go-ahead to stay on it for more than 3 months at a time. The yo-yoing was incredibly hard on my physically and I was afraid for my heart which is why I chose to have VSG.

I now feel exactly how I did on Phentermine, minus the over zealous sex drive (that stuff is magic!!), and the ability to clean my entire house in 45 minutes flat (legal speed is all it is).

I hope this feeling lasts, but only time will tell.

I now feel exactly how I did on Phentermine' date=' minus the over zealous sex drive (that stuff is magic!!), and the ability to clean my entire house in 45 minutes flat (legal speed is all it is).

[/quote']

Omg. I thought it was the new boyfriend exercise plan last time I took Phentermine. Turns out it was the speed?!