Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Muslim Congressman

There has been much controversy lately because the first Muslim ever elected to the US congress, Keith Ellison (Democrat, Minnesota) said he would use the "Holy Qur'an" (some call it the Koran) in his unofficial swearing in. No book is required at the official swearing in, though some use a Bible. All congressman are sworn in en mass by raising their right hand a repeating a pledge.

Congressman elect Ellison has been attacked verbally by Congressman Virgil Goode (Republican, Virginia) who has warned, "if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office…I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies".

Congressman elect Ellison has decided to be sworn in using the Koran of a famous American.

Interesting... however only in a noteworthy sense. Keith Ellison seems nice enough, ran a clean campaign and was "elected" to office not appointed, so obviously the majority doesn't agree with Virgil. Virgil's comments seem biggoted that was dissapointing to read, so I didn't read on to see where he stood on any issues.

I am a Republican, however bipartisan politics are annoying. I do not think people have the right to be biggots nor is it acceptable/tolorable behavior.

Stuff like that is why I don't like Republicans.....What does it matter if more Muslims get elected to Office?! It's a shame that people actually vote people like this into office and are okay what they are representing.

Exactly what I'd expect from him.

Oh, I noticed something interesting the other day. Why Steak n' shake in particular I don't know, but the one by us has "Yes Virginia - we like to mix our vanilla and fudge!" I'll have to look the company up and see what their roots are. I thought they were out of IL.

I think Congressman Ellison's decision to use the copy of the Koran once owned by Thomas Jefferson was a brilliant idea. I doubt many of Congressman Goode's advisors or constituents will be able to say anything about Mr. Ellison's choice without smearing our founding father and author of much of our most sacred writings.

If Congressman Ellison's voting decisions show as much intellignece and maturity for avoiding partisan conflict as he made with his swearing in selection, he may turn out to be an excellent choice for the people in the district in Minnesota that he represents and also a credit to his country, race and religion.

I agree it was a brillant idea to use Jefferson's Koran.

And Congressman Goode simply displays his ignorance. As your link points out, Congressman Ellison is not an immigrant...

I do believe we have freedom of religion in America, not just freedom to be christian.
Being a Christian does not equal being a bigot. And Goode was obviously being a bigot.

As a voting person in Ellisons' district, i can tell you even tho i did not personally vote for him i will stand behind him because the majority said he was the best person for the job. I tend to vote more dem. or independant because frankly, republicans scare me. I did not vote for him not because he was Muslim but because I personally liked a different candidate better - that is my choice. But the way it works in this country is the majority rules and in Minnesota I can proudly say that we have a higher voting percentage then most so the majority is really the majority. Is anyone else old enough to remember the brewhaha over a Catholic president? ( Kennedy for you youngsters!) I am sure we will all survive a Muslim congressman as we did a Catholic president and the first Jewish senator or congressman,and also for that matter the first woman in the senate or house. This country is all about "firsts". Keep 'em coming!

I agree! All christians are not bigots and i did not say that. I just meant if someone is a christian or a muslim,that is thier right in the USA and no one eles has a right to put them down for it.

Honestly, I can't even believe this is a controversy. It's a right under our constitution to have RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. Things like this make me sick. People should be able to be sworn in under whatever religious document they want to be sworn in under.

People should be able to be sworn in under whatever religious document they want to be sworn in under.
Or no document, whichever they prefer.

Honestly, I can't even believe this is a controversy. It's a right under our constitution to have RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. Things like this make me sick. People should be able to be sworn in under whatever religious document they want to be sworn in under.

I agree, it's amazing that this is even an issue that is being talked about.

Among all the other points that have been raised, as a Christian it bothers me a great deal that another self-proclaimed Christian(Goode) shows so little respect for the Bible as to want it used in an oath by those who don't believe what it says.