Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can you "try" steak?

I was cleared from any dietary restrictions at 6 weeks. I waited till about 2 1/2 months. It was wonderful! No issues at all. Hubby and I love steak and a nice bottle of wine but we share a 5 oz Omaha bacon wrapped filet and we still have a few bites left. Add some steamed broccoli and a baked potato for hubby and we have a feast!

Same here about tolerating steak sooner than chicken. I don't see why steak would take so long to digest vs other meats - I don't think that is true. It might just feel that way for you?

The "6 month" guideline was in a general book of information and guidelines that is given to the patients as a reference guide, at the group dietary meeting pre-surgery. I tolerate steak great in the past...... Am prrrrrrayyyyying that I do, post. I'm on day 18 now, so I know I have a ways to go to the steak. Lol

I think I tried it about week 6 - when I was allowed solid foods. Steak is actually easier on my stomach than chicken breast - go figure???? :unsure: But it wasn't a big amount of steak - probably 3 or 5 small bites.

At 6 weeks, I was only eating about 4oz per meal. I just remember how chicken almost immediately made my stomach grumble and steak didn't.

Ditto! I tried steak around 7 weeks, I think... whenever I was cleared. It was amazing and is a regular part of my diet. It sits so much easier than chicken. I've almost completely eliminated chicken; it just doesn't sit well. Ground beef sits a little better than chicken, but steak is even better. Pork seems to be fine, seafood is my primary source of Protein, with red meat (steak mostly) making a frequent rotation in my meals.

~Kat

I had steak at two months out, small bites, maybe an ounce total; not good. Tried again at three months and it was much better. At 15 months, I love a good little bit of steak!

"I have just seen varying "timeframes" on when you can eat/try it again..... I know that red meat stays in your stomach ( regular stomachs) for days....."

Untrue. You've processed any food you eat within 24 hrs. Steak doesn't take longer to break down down even tho it may feel like it.

I would consult your dr. But will share what my dr. Told me. 6 months before I can have beef or pork. I think that has to do with digestion but also the fact that fish and chicken have less calories and fat. Hope this helps.

what cut of steak is the best? obviously not ribeye lol

I'm just over 3 weeks out and I would kill for a steak.. mmmm
But what I can have starting this phase of my plan is deli shaved meats. So it's already on my next shopping list to get some roast beef slices from the deli. Maybe you can start on something like this to curb the craving. but ask your Dr first if it's not on your plan.

I keep hearing that chicken doesn’t sit well. Is it the texture? Too bulky? This makes me sad because chicken was the real staple of my diet

My doctor says 6 months for a steak, ground lean beef 12 weeks

I find chicken breast can be to dry. Seafood is my preferred Protein along with Fairlife milk. I can’t wait for rare filet minion steak which I will try at 6 weeks post op. I have read that well done cooked meat is harder to digest.

chicken breast sits pretty heavy for me, especially if it's overcooked. I've found that red meat, dark meat chicken, pork, and some fish feel better for my stomach. I don't really like shrimp anymore, but lobster and crab are great.

I'm a little over 5 months out from surgery, and I can eat most anything. I've found I can eat a lot of salad/vegetables lately, although I have to watch how fast I eat and how well I chew.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:41 PM, jasmineinmymind said:

I keep hearing that chicken doesn’t sit well. Is it the texture? Too bulky? This makes me sad because chicken was the real staple of my diet

Chicken causes me all kinds of 'stuck' and pain issues. I have tried all kinds of ways to make it go down/pass easier with suggestions from the dietitian and surgical team, but it still causes issues. The last suggestion I received was to focus on thigh meat instead of breast meat since it's fat content is higher, but I haven't gone that route yet. Even ground chicken causes problems. Turkey is not much better. The few times I've tried ground beef, especially finely ground beef, I have not had any trouble.

Just a little warning, a guy from my hospital thought he could have steak tips during his soft food stage if he chewed it enough. After surgery, he was in rehab for quite awhile.

Just started solid foods on Monday after 1 month. chicken and fish only. My only problem is that I’m starving 30 minutes after I eat! Anyone else have this issue? Stays down fine, mini bites and chew, chew, chew, but I’m hungry!! Suggestions please!