Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my insurance provider requires that I see my physician three months consecutively to do doctor supervised diet. The hospital that I am having the weight loss surgery through provided me with all the paperwork.

While my doctor thinks I need to loose weight and doesn't see a reason why I wouldn't be a good candidate for surgery he flat out refused to do the paperwork 'cause it is stupid' and 'isn't what the appointments are about.'

It's been hard enough, taking the steps to gather my courage to get my weight under control. But to have my own doctor say 'if I had the answers then we would both be skinny' just hit a nerve. It took everything I had not to burst into tears in his office.

I already know that I will find a physician that will do my paperwork. But has anyone else experienced anything like this? My doctor also tried to tell me that it wasn't an insurance requirement, but I read it in my insurance's paperwork prior to even consulting a hospital to do the surgery.

Wow, that's tough. My doctor was great. If you are anywhere near Chicago, I can give you her name. Otherwise you might ask your insurance company if the can refer you to someone who is WLS friendly (that's how I found the psychologist for the pre/op psych eval.). Or your surgeon 's office might know someone.

Hang in there. I had to do 6 months of doctor's visits and got through it. I am now 2 months post op, feel fabulous and know that this was the right choice for me!

Maybe you got a little good luck in finding out that your Dr is not somebody that you need to be working with. His or her conduct in refusing to do the paperwork is unacceptable.

The normal course of action is that you get in contact with a Bariatric program at a hospital and you go see them for those three months and they handle the paperwork. This is an important decision so you'll want to find a Dr and bariatric program that feels right to you and doesn't include any nonsense like your Dr exhibited.

I would suggest you post your location and ask forum members to share their referrals with you.

If you happen to be in TX, I am working with UT Southwest in Dallas and I think they are terrific. They have been caring, supportive and efficient. Good luck and post if you have questions or need support.

First, I'm sorry that you experienced that. Yes, many people physicians too are not supportive of WLS period. My own physician did sign off but said serval things

That was not supportive to me like. "I never had a patient who had WLS, and besides most people Gain it all back anyway." That was not an encouraging thing to say.

What the heck, but he did sign. My Surgeon wanted me to find another physician.

Now that i had my surgery i am happy to report that my blood pressure has went from170/100 to 109/72 sometimes lower.

Guess what, I would have been dependent on him and or medication the rest of my life without this Surgery!

So, be encouraged today. You have to advocate for your self even finding a physician who will sign off. You are not alone but you do have Courage.

Good luck!

I was so lucky, my primary Dr. said no as well. he said if I lost 25 lbs ( I was 240 ) I would feel 100% better. I switched doctors immediately.

Ask your surgeon for the name of a doctor he works with.

Oh man, I am sorry you are dealing with this. Fortunately my physician was the one who recommended it, she was actually a Nurse Practitioner who I frequently see in a family practice. My family practice set me up with a resident (learning hospital) who has been equally supportive, and very excited (I am her first to go through this process so she is very diligent in the process) Are you in a family practice that has multiple doctors? I have about 12 doctors and 26 residents I can choose from, not to mention 2 NPs and 2 PAs.

I am in Clarksville, TN. The reason I wasn't seeing physician at the hospital I am having surgery at (Baptist Hospital in Nashville) was because of the distance it takes to travel down there. But if its what I have to do then I will. It is helpful to know now that this internal medicine doctor won't be my primary physician anymore. I will have to find another doctor for all my routine stuff.

So my insurance provider requires that I see my physician three months consecutively to do doctor supervised diet. The hospital that I am having the weight loss surgery through provided me with all the paperwork.

While my doctor thinks I need to loose weight and doesn't see a reason why I wouldn't be a good candidate for surgery he flat out refused to do the paperwork 'cause it is stupid' and 'isn't what the appointments are about.'

It's been hard enough' date=' taking the steps to gather my courage to get my weight under control. But to have my own doctor say 'if I had the answers then we would both be skinny' just hit a nerve. It took everything I had not to burst into tears in his office.

I already know that I will find a physician that will do my paperwork. But has anyone else experienced anything like this? My doctor also tried to tell me that it wasn't an insurance requirement, but I read it in my insurance's paperwork prior to even consulting a hospital to do the surgery.[/quote']

You should have cried maybe he would have realized how much of an ass he was being

Print out the insurance companies requirements and show it to him. That's what I did when my Dr was being stupid about the necessary paperwork.

My doctor was very sarcastic also but when i told that it harder to take insulin 4 times a day and to take steroids 2 times a day then this decision. She looked at me and saif your right. But I'm looking for another doctor after this.

I really feel for what you folks go through with your insurance companies. DownUnder (well, the Australian bit of it) if your GP says this is suitable surgery for you and refers you to a bariatric surgeon that's the end of it. Insurance company has no say in the matter, and it would be considered an intrusion into the doctor-patient relationship.

As far as I know all the insurance companies cover it - well mostly cover it, as a "co-payment" is normal. For me it was $5250, and my health insurance is pretty decent. I don't know if we pay more for insurance than you folks, but it's a private matter - not part of your employment - so perhaps we do.

Good luck with the process.

It's been hard enough, taking the steps to gather my courage to get my weight under control. But to have my own doctor say 'if I had the answers then we would both be skinny' just hit a nerve. It took everything I had not to burst into tears in his office.

I already know that I will find a physician that will do my paperwork. But has anyone else experienced anything like this? My doctor also tried to tell me that it wasn't an insurance requirement, but I read it in my insurance's paperwork prior to even consulting a hospital to do the surgery.

Maybe I could chime in here. I had to go through a 6+month process of jumping through hoops to get insurance approval. I think what made everything easy in terms of the paperwork was that all my doctors were located in the same hospital. So I would see my primary care doc 1 time a month. He at the end of everything wrote a letter and submited his notes to the insurance co. I also had to get a letter from a shrink. A letter from my surgeon. A breathing test. endoscopy, bloodwork, chest xray, etc.etc...

I think I I had to run around I would have gone nuts. I think it also helped in my approval from the insurance company because all my paperwork over the past year is all on the same computer system. I got my approval fairly quickly once everything I had to do was done.

Sorry to keep rambling on. So I guess my advice would be to try and have all your appointments within the same hospital and a primary care doc can be changed easily.

I hope this helps somewhat.

I am in Clarksville' date=' TN. The reason I wasn't seeing physician at the hospital I am having surgery at (Baptist Hospital in Nashville) was because of the distance it takes to travel down there. But if its what I have to do then I will. It is helpful to know now that this internal medicine doctor won't be my primary physician anymore. I will have to find another doctor for all my routine stuff.[/quote']

Wish you was here in my city NYC they get it and understand you will get it done if you was here, I wish you the best I get my surgery 9/16/13 in two week is per opt, that's off my primary physician referred me and from there it if I met with what was intel to have the surgery 1 2 or 3

Wish you was here in my city NYC they get it and understand you will get it done if you was here' date=' I wish you the best I get my surgery 9/16/13 in two week is per opt, that's off my primary physician referred me and from there it if I met with what was intel to have the surgery 1 2 or 3[/quote']

Well if you want info I will send it to you I'm going to the best hospital and doctors here in the city on 1ave Bellevue hospital