Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone just eat regular food and still lose weight?

I am 3 weeks out and I have lost 25lbs (counting 1 week liquid diet also). Today I weighed and actually gained a pound even though I cannot even eat 4 ounces. I've been eating a lot of tuna fish with regular mayo and I ate some peas with it so I'm not eating low carb. I also eat yogurt and Soup for dinner. Should I try to be eating just low carb/high Protein or is it ok to not even worry about it right now? How did you lose weight?

I know I'm eating way less than I ever have before and this is the dreaded 3 week stall but I cannot help but wonder about my eating. Also I was sleeved in Mexico so I am trying to follow their instructions on protein but its difficult.

I just focus on Protein. I really don't have much room for anything else.

Weigh only once a Month, and don't over think it....and Protein, Protein, Protein.........Tuna is good! Best of Luck

Step away from the scale. You'll make yourself nuts. Just concentrate on getting in your Protein and Water. The weight will take care of itself.

If you want to gauge your progress, go try on your clothes. To me, when something that was formerly tight is now hanging off me, that's more important than what the fickle, lying scale says.

Protein, Water, walking....hide Mr. Scale...I banished Mr. scale to the garage at my house..I only weigh once a week at WW. Best of luck to you!

Step away from the scale. You'll make yourself nuts. Just concentrate on getting in your Protein and Water. The weight will take care of itself.

If you want to gauge your progress, go try on your clothes. To me, when something that was formerly tight is now hanging off me, that's more important than what the fickle, lying scale says.

Thanks Cindymg! I am 2 weeks post op and I haven't been on a scale yet. I don't want to become obsessed with that and focus on how I feel in my clothes right now. Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement for those of us who are just starting this journey.

I focus heavily on protein... but I will eat veggies and fruit and a tad of rice and pasta... not a bread eater so that has never really been a problem... and yes... I am still losing... slowly... but I am still losing...I didn't have this surgery to live on Protein shakes...

I pretty much eat whatever I want and am losing weight. I only eat a couple bites thank goodness but I can't stand to drink the Protein shakes. I was sleeved march 25 and am down 55lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I've been eating regular food since the minute I could manage to get it down. I didn't do this to count calories, grams, or anything else. I am sure I lose more slowly than others but that's ok. Some days I do give Protein some thought and try to eat it before I eat anything else. It fills me up very quickly and I don't have room for anything else. Most of the time I just eat whatever and am still full after a few bites. Still losing and not complaining about the pace of the weight loss.

There are a lot of us that focus on a moderation based approach.

My opinion is that for at least the first six months your primary focus should be Protein. After that point, start incorporating a more moderate approach with more carbs and good fats. That does not mean start eating processed junk (SLIDER) foods. Start with good grains, fruits and veggies and work into "normal" foods until you can identify the foods that will sabotage your success. Many people have addictions to white flour, white sugar, processed foods, soda, etc. Those are the foods we need to avoid for the most part. But good, well rounded choices are important.

This isn't a diet. If you diet your way to goal by making the sleeve Atkins part B and restricting yourself in a way that you cannot maintain long term, you are going to have a struggle ahead of you in maintenance. Maintenance is forever, so finding a way we can eat well, be satisfied and not fly off the rails is critical to our long term success.

Good luck - I agree that you probably just need to put the scale away and weigh weekly for now. Loss is tricky, especially for women. I only lost one week out of the month. The other weeks I either stayed the same weight or gained.

~Cheri

I am 3 weeks out and I have lost 25lbs (counting 1 week liquid diet also). Today I weighed and actually gained a pound even though I cannot even eat 4 ounces. I've been eating a lot of tuna fish with regular mayo and I ate some peas with it so I'm not eating low carb. I also eat yogurt and Soup for dinner. Should I try to be eating just low carb/high Protein or is it ok to not even worry about it right now? How did you lose weight?

I know I'm eating way less than I ever have before and this is the dreaded 3 week stall but I cannot help but wonder about my eating. Also I was sleeved in Mexico so I am trying to follow their instructions on Protein but its difficult.

How much mayo? I stuck with no-fat or very low fat protein. Even in maintenance, I eat very low fat except for treats. I ate only a couple of bites of veggies with meals because I haf a hard time getting the protein in.

But unless you are eating a lot of mayo and peas, it's probably just the dreaded three week stall.

Lynda

I didn't get sleeved so that I had to diet all over again the rest of my life. BUT.. I did realize I had to change my diet for the better. The sleeve has helped me accomplish this and I eat regular food.. But it's healthier food than my past "regular" foods. I still haven't got my appetite back, but that's a blessing, in my opinion. ;)

I am 1 1/2 years out and in maintenance. I still cannot eat high or even moderate carbohydrates and maintain my weight. I still eat between 70-90 grams of Protein, under 50 grams of carbs and under 35 grams of fat -- unless I am hiking. In that case I can up the carbs and calories.

I do not eat white flour, white Pasta or white rice. I use only butter, olive and coconut oil (or animal fat). I still also enter everything into My Fitness Pal. It's habit now, like brushing my teeth.

I haven't had fast food except for El Pollo Loco and Taco Bell one or twice. I had one bite of a filet o' fish a year ago.

I will never go back to what is a "normal" diet. I try to make almost everything from scratch and go pretty much sugar free. Highly processed foods are off the list for good.

I never want to be fat again. I'm having too much fun!

I had the three week stall as well, it lasted for about a month for me. I would take a look at maybe upping your Protein intake if you can. I had the same issue on getting protein in when I was first sleeved. My doctor said not to worry about it it would come in time, he said to concentrate on my Water intake. I would also look at how much sodium you are taking in, because a lot of sodium makes you retain water and most Soups are generally high in sodium. I would look at using my fitness pal to log your food most every kind of food is in the database and it will keep track of how much protein, carbs and sodium you are taking in and you configure it to keep track of other things as well. I would not look at the scale every day, because it can drive you crazy. Hang in there the weigh will come off.