Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that to quit smoking is highly recommended before and after surgery .. However , my doctor never mentioned anything to me about it and I smoked my last cigarette the night before my surgery . I'm 3 days post op and haven't smoked , although I am craving a bit .

Has anyone continued smoking after the surgery ? I'm very curious . I'm trying to not but I just wanna know what if

Also , I'm a very active marijuana smoker and I also smoked the night before my surgery and I haven't since . I really don't wanna quit .. I need to look more into it . Does anyone else smoke marijuana ?

I'm surprised my doctor didnt inform me of any of this before the surgery .

I definitely won't be popular with this response..but why the hell would you cut 85% of your stomach out to be healthy only to die of Lung Cancer because you can't quit smoking..

And yes I am a reformed smoker so I can say that. I quit smoking on December 3rd, 2012 at 6pm and have NEVER looked back. I wish you luck in not continuing to smoking but if you are looking for validation to continue from this gal..you aren't gonna get it. I am sure there will be others who will say they continued to smoke etc., but to me it just makes no sense.

I definitely won't be popular with this response..but why the hell would you cut 85% of your stomach out to be healthy only to die of Lung Cancer because you can't quit smoking..

And yes I am a reformed smoker so I can say that. I quit smoking on December 3rd' date=' 2012 at 6pm and have NEVER looked back. I wish you luck in not continuing to smoking but if you are looking for validation to continue from this gal..you aren't gonna get it. I am sure there will be others who will say they continued to smoke etc., but to me it just makes no sense.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure I can stay off cigarettes , it's the weed I'm more concerned about not being able to quit . I'm looking up ways to cook and not just smoke though .

First question they asked me was if I smoked anything at all. Something about ulcers in your new stomach. But I truly don't know the answer aside from the obvious that you already know. Sorry :(

Talk to your Dr. about the weed. I would NOT out it in food though. It's hard enough to start on pureed food without having to worry about filling up on bulk. Remember Protein is #1. Talk to your Dr. asap.

Pre op they tested my blood for c02 so if I didnt quit smoking a month prior I would not have my sleeve surgery, now post op i smoke the logics fake cigs and a pack of smokes lasts me a week. I am trying so hard but again that too is an addiction. One thing at a time. Maharet, I get your point totally but its not always easy my life is a whirlwind I quit my coffe to one cup a day and drink Decaf, stopped eating and down to a pack a week although not great , Im still proud of myself most of my vices are on their way out. I just dont want to go to loony bin for doing them all at the same time. Nagem the pot smoking is on you, its much harsher than cigs so I would tread easy , but if you must continue to smoke your pot I would maybe be upfront with the surgeon and get his take so then you can make an informed descision knowing all consequences. I wish you all the best and good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I am trying so hard but again that too is an addiction.

Props to you for trying to quit - keep up the good work. I smoked for 20 years so quitting can be done.

I never quit. I've already been scolded here a lot so I'm quite aware of popular opinion. Thus far I've had no bad consequences.

I'll also smoke some weed if I want.

No problems.

I would encourage you to talk to your Dr. as soon as possible. Cigarette smoking puts you at so much risk especially during the healing process...blood clots & the like. See if you can survive on Nicorette or the patch for awhile if the Dr. Okays it. This is something I struggled & continue to struggle with. I quit the appropriate time before surgery & picked my cigs back up, but not until a FULL 12 weeks post-op. I AM trying to quit, though. Weaning myself down & am down to 4 cigs per day. Not everyone can give up "everything" all at once, but you need to be so careful. You just had MAJOR surgery. Eating & smoking (nicotine or herb) are addictions. I've found that it can help to talk to a professional & seek out medication when needed to address these issues. I know my surgeon's office has a psychiatrist on staff for post-sleeve issues & counseling.

As far as the marijuana, if it is medically necessary, have you thought about a vaporizer? You will get a concentrated amount of THC without the smoke. Unless you are using the marijuana for a medical reason I would also be careful with any intake. Learning how to eat, drink & judge when you are full is a huge learning process with the sleeve. If you are stoned & having the munchies you will not be able to properly gauge this new feeling. You could risk some serious damage to your new sleeve.

I am not a Dr. or health professional of any kind. They are best suited to give you the answer you need. Please be kind to yourself & take care of yourself. I wish you the best of luck.

Isn't smoking marijuana illegal in 48 states? Maybe you're from one of the two legal ones? This forum is public. Do you want to say you're smoking weed for all the Internet to see?

ETA: oops maybe you're in a different country where it's legal. Sorry

I'm not judging, just concerned for privacy.

Mary Jane. I wasn't a fan until I saw my dying sister gain an appetite from the oncologist's prescription of THC pills. It changed my conservative views forever.

Cannibis is a great herbal alternative to narcotics. While I'm not a user...I do believe it should be prescribed instead of the narcotics that actually DO kill people in their sleep.

One of the side effects of cannibis is that is makes you hungry. Why use it and risk stretching your new stomach? Give it up girlfriend.

Six months from now, you can go back to smoking or using the glycerine drops in your beverages. Stay away from setiva strands.

I quit smoking 4 1/2 weeks ago - I was one of those people that was going to smoke on my deathbed. No one else thought I would quit either. My motivation is wanting this sleeve to heal up tight. I didn't want to do anything that interfered with the process.

I got an arizer solo portable vaporizer as a present to myself for getting this surgery and OMG ITS GREAT! Since its the summer and I can't completely enjoy eating as I once did, I have been smoking bud way more frequently...

I got an arizer solo portable vaporizer as a present to myself for getting this surgery and OMG ITS GREAT! Since its the summer and I can't completely enjoy eating as I once did' date=' I have been smoking bud way more frequently...[/quote']

Thanks :) I smoked yesterday for the first time after surgery

I quit traditional cigarettes a year ago before I had surgery on my sinuses. The only way I was able to do that was by using an electronic cigarette. I was pretty proud of myself for getting rid of all the nasty extras that are in cigarettes. But my sleeve surgeon doesn't see it that way. She said that I had to be off nicotine or she wouldn't do the surgery. So I tapered down to 0mg in my e-cig (I was not a very pleasant person for several days). After my surgery (7/25/13), I asked my surgeon how long I had to stay off nicotine. She lectured me and said I should stay off. But I'm stubborn and I like my nicotine. She said it hinders healing, so I should wait until everything is all healed up. About 2 weeks. I am eagerly waiting for that time.

For anyone trying to quit smoking, I highly recommend investing in an electronic cigarette. And not the kind you can buy from Walgreens. Here is a picture of mine.

It is the most wonderful thing ever.

post-63305-13813668346169_thumb.jpg