Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever look at what another person is eating and think, wow that is A LOT of food? My husband ordered the waldorf salad at marie callendars and it looked like enough food for 10 people. I used to eat that and the cornbread too. I'm noticing how supersized our world is. No wonder people get fatter here.

Do you ever look at what another person is eating and think, wow that is A LOT of food? My husband ordered the waldorf salad at marie callendars and it looked like enough food for 10 people. I used to eat that and the cornbread too. I'm noticing how supersized our world is. No wonder people get fatter here.

I've had the very same thoughts. I'm in Texas so everything is bigger (including the plates AND the asses) :rolleyes:.

I was just in Walgreens filling a prescription and was completely amazed at the amount of junk food that is all over that store. There seemed to be very few areas or aisles that didn't have a display of high carb/sugar junk food on "sale" -- it was sad, really.

I think about that ALL THE TIME. I just cant believe how much food people can eat, myself included pre-surgery. My husband was eating a bag of chips last night, not a little lunch serving, a big bag and he finished it. I had 2 and I was good lol. I see people order like 20 chicken wings and I can eat at the most 2 lol. As a society, we over serve food and its no wonder so many people struggle with thier health. A normal portion size for people takes me 4 or 5 meals to eat.

As a society, we over serve food and its no wonder so many people struggle with thier health. A normal portion size for people takes me 4 or 5 meals to eat.

Yep!

My husband is from the philippines and when his parents came over for our wedding last year, they were shocked how big the portions are here.

I do every day. I see my wife eat a normal size plate and I think to myself that would take me four meals to finish her plate.

I think it is so funny, because, for most people, me especially prior to surgery, if your portion was not huge, you would feel cheated. How many times would you go to a Mexican restaurant and get upset if they were not right out with the chips and salsa....or O'Charley's and get impatient when they weren't shoveling out the dinner rolls by the basket full?

It's pretty funny now, that I have trouble getting 3 ounces down now! :blink:

I think that was my biggest shock. I was apparently in extreme denial about how much I was eating and what portions I thought were normal!

I know eating 3 ounces isn't exactly normal either but it's normal for a sleever.

Anyway, I have been to a few restaurants post surgery and am amazed at how much food is served. My husband has cut down his portions substantially. So now when we go out to dinner we order something we both like. We share it and still bring leftovers home. It's great. And we save so much money!!

Portions are so huge everywhere. I am became more aware after I got a lapband. Now its like a neon sign. This is what's wrong with our culture. Its the idea of what constitutes a normal portion size. Does anyone really need to drink 32 ounces of any kind of soda? And to think I used to eat like that wow. What a wake up call. I thought I was just eating like everyone else and you know what? I was. I just couldn't metabolize it or sweat it off like the thinner people.

Do you ever look at what another person is eating and think' date=' wow that is A LOT of food? My husband ordered the waldorf salad at marie callendars and it looked like enough food for 10 people. I used to eat that and the cornbread too. I'm noticing how supersized our world is. No wonder people get fatter here.[/quote']

I notice that also, its like I didn't see this b4?

All the time! When I serve folks at my house now, they always have to remind me that they have a full sized stomach. Lol. "Normal" portion sizes are foreign to me now. I serve everyone toddler sized portions.

Do you ever go through a food court at a mall? Disgusting! Not just the food choices ( if you can call that food), but the way the people look eating it. And I used to be one of them.

Do you ever look at really overweight people and want to take them by the hand and tell them there is a better way? It's a bit like a religious conversion, isn't it?

Ugh, I can't walk through the food court anymore, the smell of grease just makes me nauseous. I can't believe I used to live for that nasty, greasy stuff.

Do you ever go through a food court at a mall? Disgusting! Not just the food choices ( if you can call that food)' date=' but the way the people look eating it. And I used to be one of them.

Do you ever look at really overweight people and want to take them by the hand and tell them there is a better way? It's a bit like a religious conversion, isn't it?[/quote']

I always am tempted to tell obese folks about this wonderful tool. But its a bit presumptuous to do that, my hope is that when they reach the point in which they want to change that they will seek a solution. I can't believe I used to eat at two or three different food stands in one trip to the mall.