Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not doing the liquid diet

I am failing miserably at the liquid diet. I have tried and tried hard I just can't do it. Surgery is Wednesday. I know after I have to do it and I know I will be able to. But right now I have food funerals a d nerves causing me to fail. Hope this doesn't effect surgery

Hi Ashlee:

You CAN do it. You have to commit. Get yourself in the best possible shape for your surgery. You will have a lot to deal with post-op, do you want to add NOT being prepared on top of it? Trust in what your surgeon has asked you to do and do it. This is not a punishment, it is an opportunity (http://www.verticals...an-opportunity/) This is one of my favorite things I've read here and one that is so very true.

Take control now. Don't accept "I can't" just because you haven't be able to before. You said it yourself that after surgery you can do it, do it now... do it for you.

Why would you even tempt this effecting surgery at this late stage. Come on Ashlee. I believe you can, YOU have to believe it too.

Hi Ashlee:

You CAN do it. You have to commit. Get yourself in the best possible shape for your surgery. You will have a lot to deal with post-op' date=' do you want to add NOT being prepared on top of it? Trust in what your surgeon has asked you to do and do it. This is not a punishment, it is an opportunity (http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/78443-the-pre-op-diet-is-not-a-punishment-its-an-opportunity/) This is one of my favorite things I've read here and one that is so very true.

Take control now. Don't accept "I can't" just because you haven't be able to before. You said it yourself that after surgery you can do it, do it now... do it for you.

Why would you even tempt this effecting surgery at this late stage of this. Come on Ashlee. I believe you can, YOU have to believe it too.

AGREE!! You can do this! You have fought hard to get to this point plus you lose weight during it. A nice reward

I am failing miserably at the liquid diet. I have tried and tried hard I just can't do it. Surgery is Wednesday. I know after I have to do it and I know I will be able to. But right now I have food funerals a d nerves causing me to fail. Hope this doesn't effect surgery

The first four days of the preop liquid diet are the suck. You can either do it now and get it over with or you can deal with it at the same time you're dealing with recovering from surgery which will be double-suck.

If I had to do this surgery again I'd demand the two-week preop diet.

</tough love>

Have faith in yourself. You CAN do this! It's temporary, you will eat again...just less of it. It's only food. Get away from it by keeping busy.

Shel in Kansas - Sleeved 5/21/13

I am on day 4 of a 2 week pre op liquid diet. Up to 5 Protein shakes a day, broth, Vitamin Water Zero, sugar free ice pops, etc. Please believe me when I say it gets easier after day 3. I would not have believed it myself yesterday as I was still miserable and hungry. I had my food funerals in the week leading up to starting the pre op diet.

PLEASE do what your doctors says. My Mom's cousin went in for Gastric Bypass and woke up with no surgery because her liver was too big/fatty to do the surgery.

Good luck!

As others have said: You are at risk of getting anesthetized and getting incisions and waking up without the surgery if you don't comply with your surgeon's instructions. There's no need for "food funerals"--you will be able to eat everything that you eat now at a certain point after surgery--but most likely, your weight loss will be so great that you will want to keep it going and will eat healthfully instead. It sounds like you might need to tackle "head hunger"/emotional eating issues. It might benefit you to see a counselor before and after surgery. Hang in there and try to find ways to keep busy so you aren't thinking about food. You can do it!!!

If your liver isn't ready for this surgery - you may have serious problems. Please talk to you doctor and be honest. I hated the pre-op diet. I made a promise to myself--if I couldn't follow the diet exactly the way my surgeon asked me to- then I believed I was not mentally prepared for this life changing event. I did it-- it sucked. But I made it through the surgery with no problems and the following 3 to 4 weeks were not bad because I was mentally prepared. Please be honest with your doctor. YOu may need a little bit more time to mentally prepare- and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you do not want to do what your Doc swants now you will have a hard time doing after the surgery. Suck it up and do it or get out now.

On the plus side I have cut out soda and been eating better. I have lost 14 lbs I have been drinking the shakes but I have been eating full meals with the family

My doctor didn't require a full liquid diet. I can have one meal per day (lean Protein, 1 cup of veggies, a little salad, and one complex carb serving). My nutritionist said that they modified the diet so that the patients would have an easier time sticking to the diet. So, if you're having one meal/day...make it sensible. Also, exercise as much as possible before your surgery so that you're in better health overall. You can and you will do this...as long as you're losing weight and not eating fats, your liver will shrink. If you have an enlarged liver, your bloodwork would have let your doctor know by now. I know everyone has had different instructions and have had different experiences...I say do what works best for you...just lose some weight and exercise before your surgery. Best of luck! My surgery is the 22nd and I'm starting my diet tomorrow.

The length of your liquid diet depends on your BMI. If you don't shrink your liver, the Dr. will have difficulty visualizing and accessing your stomach. He'll either have to cancel your surgery mid-way or do it blind. One would be a total waste of time and money, and the other would be gravely dangerous. (No reputable Surgeon is going to do it blind). I suggest you cancel your surgery until you can complete the liquid diet as prescribed. If you can't follow the pre-op instructions, you won't follow the post-op instructions. You're not only sabotaging your weight loss, you're risking your life !!

My BMI is now 39.6 it was 42 the doc requirements was that I lose 5-10 lds like I said I lost 14. I did what they asked just not in the way they asked me to do it.

Here's the deal if you fail to follow your doctors orders as to the liquid diet, your liver will be quite large. If it is too large then you have to have an open procedure which means more pain a longer recovery and a great big vertical scar on your midsection. If that is what you want fine but you are risking your health by not doing the liquid diet. Please don't think I'm being harsh but I just had my preop briefing with my nutritionist and my surgeon. They were quite emphatic about this very thing. Plus you doctor my decide to cancel your surgery entirely. Everyone is telling you that you can do it. The fact of the matter is you "must" do it. Think about it if you can't do your liquid diet what do you this is going to happen when you have surgery and have to go on addition liquid diets to help get your stomach healed. Please for your sake get it together and work towards getting yourself healthy and start your journey towards a successful weight loss procedure

You will still be able to eat some of the foods that you liked before just in alot smaller portions. It will take some time before you get to that stage, but it is worth it. You will have so much energy and be able to do things you have not done in a while. My doctor required me to loose 15 pounds and I only lost 12 pounds and I guess he thought that was close enough. I would talk to my surgeon just to make sure I was on track for what he needed me to do. He may want to put the surgery off a week or two to just to make sure that he is able to perform surgery properly on you so that there is no risks. Good luck on your new adventure.