Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, problems with vomiting

First the good news, I was banded on April 25th and have lost 55 pounds as of today. Now the bad news: in the last three days I have not been able to hold down any solid food. I have vomited everytime I tried to eat even mushy foods which I had no problem with previously. Last night, I couldn't sleep at all because of acid leaking out of my stomach and causing me to cough. Today, I have had nothing but liquids; Water, broth and a popsicle. It's now 9:30pm and I haven't vomited, but I still feel pain in my stomach and have a lot of gas.

Has anyone gone through this??? Is it a reaction to overindulging during the holidays? I guess I'm looking for advice from other people who have gone through this. I'm going to give it a few more days and if it continues I guess I won't have any choice but to go in for a checkup. Thanks for listening.:help:

Let your tummy rest... liquids for three or four days and then go to mushies... have you had a fill? Ridden in a plane? those things always change my restriction. If all else fails go back and get un filled you are too tight.... good luck!

same thing hapened to me except i can't even keep liquids down I am about to call the doctor... see what he says... maybe my stomach shrank and the resriction shifted or something... i miht need to get some let out..

I absolutely couldn't stand it yesterday, my whole body was aching and I couldn't keep down even Water. I phoned my doctor and got in to see him yesterday afternoon. He took out all my fill and all symptoms ended instantly. I now have to take an antacid medication for a month, stay on liquids for a few days and then go back to the mush diet. I go back for a new fill in two weeks.

All this happened because I haven't been absolutel religious about small, tiny bites and chewing. It has taught me an important lesson, for things to work well you have to follow the rules.

I had surgery Aug 3, 06 and for roughly 2 months or so, no problems. Since the initial two months have had a lot of gas, and I throw up white foamy liquid. Have also vomited three other times, where it was not white foamy liquid. Dr. says I need to eat slower, take smaller bites, etc. Has anyone out there experienced these symptoms. I have lost 55 lbs. and have only had 2-3 fills since surgery. This is my first time ever to post a message on line.

Tybalt-

The doctor did the exact same thing for me. It was almost euphoric walking out of the office after it all. i drank a liter of Water immediatley and was still thirsty.

I am doing chicken stock right now and it's nice... takes meback to those first 2 weeks after surgery.

Warning thought don't be tempted to eat solids because you feel better... my doc said it could irritate my stomach even further and cause a lot of pain so I have been strict about sticking to the liquids...

He said that my problem was from too much acid due to stress?

Can I ask what meds he put you on?

he put me on prevacid and carafate and i feel so much better.

He prescribed Pantoprazole 40mg. You're right about the experience taking one back to the first few weeks after surger, with the difference that I never felt this kind of pain after the surgery.

Let me just add a note for people trying to decide whether to have the surgery; I would still have the lap band, I would just be a lot more careful about following the rules. You can bet I'll be cutting my food into tiny pieces, the doctor said no bitter than a pencil eraser and I'll also be counting my chew, 30.

I wasn't having severe pain just some pains in my upper right abdoment that i thought were muscle cramps.... but the doctor told me that was my stomach being irritated... YAY haha.

Yes.. I advise everyone to follows doctors orders to a T so that you dont have to set yourself back like this... HOWEVER... for the next few weeks I am going to do all liquids so I can heal... i dont have to but I am ... maybe I will lose some quick weight too! But i am going to be taking Vitamins and Protein shakes to make sure I am healthy.

well i had the same thing happen to me ,i felt horriable

except i am pregnate and i have to eat

banded JUly 25/06

pre 240

post 205

First the good news, I was banded on April 25th and have lost 55 pounds as of today. Now the bad news: in the last three days I have not been able to hold down any solid food. I have vomited everytime I tried to eat even mushy foods which I had no problem with previously. Last night, I couldn't sleep at all because of acid leaking out of my stomach and causing me to cough. Today, I have had nothing but liquids; Water, broth and a popsicle. It's now 9:30pm and I haven't vomited, but I still feel pain in my stomach and have a lot of gas.

Has anyone gone through this??? Is it a reaction to overindulging during the holidays? I guess I'm looking for advice from other people who have gone through this. I'm going to give it a few more days and if it continues I guess I won't have any choice but to go in for a checkup. Thanks for listening.:help:

Our protocol with this type of problem is a significant unfil with rest of your pouch for a couple of weeks then slowly refilling. This usually cures the problem. If not, then we do a scope or an upper GI.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thanks for everyone's comments...they are really helpful. I was banded 4 months ago and everything was fine until a few days ago. I can't keep any solid food down and even when I eat very small amounts I PB, even a couple of spoonfuls of oatmeal seem to bother me.

The difference is that I haven't yet had a fill, so I guess there's nothing to unfill. Is that right?

Has anybody else had this experience?

Mags

You need to stick to liquids only and get an upper GI ASAP. I would be worried about a slip if your band is truly empty.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thanks for everyone's comments...they are really helpful. I was banded 4 months ago and everything was fine until a few days ago. I can't keep any solid food down and even when I eat very small amounts I PB, even a couple of spoonfuls of oatmeal seem to bother me.

The difference is that I haven't yet had a fill, so I guess there's nothing to unfill. Is that right?

Has anybody else had this experience?

Mags

I was having problems holding things down too and it came on very quickly after I vomited last week when I was sick. I made the mistake of not sticking to liquids and ended up in the hospital yesterday morning. My stomach got so swollen around the band that I couldn't even swallow my own spit. So, my surgeion had me admitted due to dehydration. First I was completely unfilled and that helped a little bit but I still couldn't swallow and keep anything down. I had an upper GI done that showed no obstruction but massive swelling around the band. Thankfully, nothing had slipped though! I was also given anti-immflammatory medicine through the iv for 24 hours and now am home and on Clear Liquids for 7 days et etc.

So, I guess I have learned the hard way now to chew and chew and chew and if I vomit or PB to stick with clears for a couple of days.

This is the second time I've had to be hospitalized for something similar. Last summer I had a blueberry stuck above the band that they ended up scoping out b/c none of the tricks to remove it worked.

I have to say that I am quite nervous to have any fill put back in now!

Julie

I am having the same problems as tybalt. I am burping all the time and it feels like I'm trying to swallow my burps...does that make sense? It just feels like something is stuck. I have made myself vomit because it feels like something is just stuck right below my sternum. I can drink Water but I feel like I could throw up, although I didn't today because I wasn't near a bathroom. I hardly slept at all last night because i woke up choking. I got my band 2 years ago this month by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. My last fill was in august of 2006. I have to travel over 3 hours to get my fills. I called my doctor today (who does my fills ) and she never called me back. I tried to drink carbonated beverages but it doesn't seem to be working. I was hoping I could wait it out and eventually it would go away. I don't trust the local bariatric surgeons in my area because they just started to do lap bands 3 months ago. If I go to the ER what do you think they will do? Should I go? I'm afraid that I won't be able to sleep tonight because the stuff leaks in my throat and makes me cough something terrible. It feels like it went down the wrong tube...Any advise would be helpful

Also will a local er doc be able to help me? I live in a rural area and I know these docs have limited if any experience with lap bands. Will they even agree to treat me when I tell them this was done in Mexico?