Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had surgery to have a baby...

I am about 9 months post-op and about 8 weeks pregnant. I have PCOS as well and the doctors told me it could take a year for my cycle to come back. I waited 2 months or regular cycles and we tried- sure enough it happened on the first try. I have had some complications so far and the doctors are saying its because I wasnt a full year post op from bariatric. I was in the hospital last week for dehydration and anemia. I have been SO sick to my stomach that even eating the 4 oz I am supposed to eat is coming back up. Im worried about what the next 7 months hold for me as the past 3 weeks have been a nightmare. Everyone is different so please dont take this as a warning... just sharing my experiance.

I have PCOS as well. Having a baby was a large part of why I had the surgery but definitely not the main reason because my gyn told me she would help get me through a healthy pregnancy if I wanted to try...but at 300 lbs, I knew that just wasn't smart. So I've let my weight hold me back majorly with the "oh I can do it myself" yo-yo dieting that I've done all my life. But now, I'm almost 4 months out, 67lbs down and off my bp meds and don't take anything else (but vitamins). So I'm well on my way. I'll be 30 in April (yuck!) so we'll start trying next year :)

Im 22 been with my husband for nearly 6years. I have PCOS and I was obese. I got the surgery to lose weight and to habe a family. I had my VSG October 9th 2012. Ive lost a total of 115lbs and im 9 months post op and just found out my husband and I are Pregnant!!!! And my cycles come every month but they arnt clockwork so I definitely can say the surgery helped so much! My dreams of being a mom are coming true! :) good luck!

Fingers crossed that ill be a mommy when my 18 months are up. 15 more months to go. Might talk my surgeon and pcp into letting us try a year out. Ill be 31 in August and my clock is ticking fast! All you girls with pcos having babies are giving me hope. Keep sharing your success stories.

Very inspiring ladies! Thank you. I myself was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 yet the symptoms have always been around. It kinda bothered me bc I had self diagnosed myself in my early teens as I aspire to become a physician, and healthcare fascinates me. Nevertheless I have been married almost 7 years and we have not been preventing the entire time. In 2009 is when I talked to my PCP and asked for a referral bc of irregular menses and whatnot. I have tried several different drugs and two different RE as my husband is in the military and we move quite frequently in addition to deployments. Initially my sole purpose of being sleeved was to become a mother. I was obese but I had no other right out health issues. I know that doesn't mean I wouldn't develop any but I'm just letting you know where I was... say 3 years ago when I first attempted to be sleeved. I was unable to be sleeved back then bc my husband was deployed and I had no family support. Now three years later here I am sleeved and looking forward to a full recovery as my sleeving process has been challenging these last 8 weeks. I had pretty much given up on getting pregnant and was just tired of being fat.... tired of the up and down lose 35lbs gain 50 back....

Getting pregnant definitely factored into my decision to have the sleeve; I've been overweight my whole life, and tried every diet imaginable. While I've always had a normal cycle, I have many of the classic physical attributes of PCOS. I didn't have any co-morbidities, although I did have a very high BMI (56), and since my fiance and I are a bit older (he's 38 and I'll be 35 in October) and hoping for a honeymoon baby after we marry next summer, I finally decided it was time to do the sleeve. I just had my surgery on Monday and I'm feeling pretty good considering I'm only 4 days post-op. My OB/GYN luckily works closely with my surgeon on various medical studies, and they both agree that due to my age, we can start trying to conceive between 10 months and a year out from surgery. My fiance is adopted and we both agree that we are committed to building a family no matter what, but I still would love the opportunity to experience pregnancy and create a little person that's got some of each of us. Hopefully it will happen...fingers crossed! :)