Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve...This time has to be different!

Hello everyone!!! I am officially booked for a band to sleeve revision on July 30th with Dr. Illian in Tijuana.< /p>

I was originally banded in TJ back in 2007 and through the band and LOTS of hard work on my own, I lost 40 lbs the first year. Unfortunately, I never found the "sweet spot" after many fills and found ways to cheat the band. It was so much easier to eat slider food than to eat Protein and salad, get stuck, and still feel hungry. I gained weight back and today am 7 lbs lighter than I was on the day of my band surgery.

There are so many years I have spent thinking I was the failure and it was all my fault. I am not trying to say the band is not a good tool, but I know two others that also got the band and had some initial weight loss and then gained it all back. I also know 3 people that have had gastric bypass and kept the weight off (except for 5-10 lbs but no more). I finally begin to allow myself to believe that the band might be part of the problem and it wasn't just me.

Forward to now...I just booked my revision. I don't think I have any slippage or eroding so my surgery should be completed all in one day. I guess...deep down..I am scared the sleeve won't be different than the band. I need to change my attitude and realize this WILL WORK!!!!

So...please tell me....what was different for you and how did you change your mindset from "this might not work just like band didn't" to..."THIS WILL WORK!!"

I had the sleeve this past December - never had the band so cannot speak to that - but I can tell you that I worried and fretted that the sleeve would not work. Prior to surgery I did not know anyone who had been successful with the surgery - all three people I knew who had WLS failed. I secretly feared and fretted that I would fail too - but I have to say that I am now pretty sure that will not happen. First - it is impossible NOT to lose weight initially. Secondly - the process of increasing the diet as you go through the different weeks post-op has really helped me to build new habits. Finally - I think for me - I just had to stop worrying about failing. Trust in the sleeve. Many more people are successful than fail the sleeve. While it is important to know the signs that you may be going down a bad path - trusting that you are going to be successful will reduce lots of unnecessary worrying! Good luck to you - you are going to LOVE the sleeve!

I revised in two steps (band out in March, sleeved in June) and after the struggles of "soft food syndrome" from a slipped LapBand, I felt better mentally prepared this time around. Must be working, because I'm making the smart food choices 99% of the time and doing what I'm supposed to be doing! I know when I'm full and I don't push it - and I know I'm not going to throw up every day as I had to force myself to do with the band if I ate anything with a consistency thicker than a McDonald's frappe (I consumed many of those just trying to get "calories").

I believe this new journey will work for me, and I believe it will work for you, too!

I have the same fears as you. I've had my band for almost 4 yrs, it slipped last year and they totally unfilled me. I've gained back 30 of the 104 lbs I lost (was within 9 lbs of my goal 18 mths ago). Scheduled for revision next Tues, the 16th. Scared I'm gunna wake up in the recovery room and be told there was too much damage to my stomach to do my sleeve. Then my insurance won't pay for it in the future cuz my bmi is only 28. It HAS to be done at once or I can't afford the sleeve.

I'm worried that I will fail. I never learned healthy habits with the band (turned into a bulimic, probly why I lost 104 lbs) and still have my unhealthy eating habits. HATE diets and rely too much on the tool to do all the work, instead of me doing part of it. I'm afraid I will do the same thing with the sleeve. I'm already thinking when I can "cheat" on my post op diet and it be ok (that I won't get a leak on my staple line). I've only got 6 days left before my revision and I'm trying to get all my favorite foods in, just in case I'll never eat them again. I think about my next meal during my current meal. Thats such unhealthy eating habits.

I'm with you on the nervous bit about the revision. I did well with the band (after I finally got it adjusted correctly) so I' hoping to do well with the sleeve also. hoping we have uneventful revisions and we both (all) do well!

You will eat them don't worry!! ;-) just small amounts.

Marfar7, I could have written that same story!! Iv lost weight with the band and kept it off and my fears are the same as yours !! Also i hate dieting and have relied on my band for six years. Always nice to hear you're not alone, thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you :)