Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three and a half years later

thanks your post, I am 6 mo out and been thinking about the future, and would it always be this easy. glad to hear the truth from someone that has been there. THANK YOU.

Hello Sleever People!

I had my surgery January 25, 2010 with Dr. Aceves in Mexico and have never once looked back. I was on this board pretty much 24/7 pre-op and for a long time post op and one of the things that I desperately wished for more of was feedback from people that were "long term" sleevers. We seem to be few and far between and I swore I would provide regular updates... fail!!! And I apologize to any of you that, like me, wish for more of the "big picture" - no pun intended! It's true that we simply get on with life after surgery and before we know it, life has been blowing by and suddenly it's been some fantastic years gone by - you'll see, trust me!

So, the long and short of my sleeve experience has been incredible – there truly are no words to describe one of the absolute best decisions I’ve ever made for myself. I started at 254 and lost exactly 100 pounds well before the end of the year. I ate low carb and drank Protein shakes forever it seemed. About a year and change after surgery, after maintaining a size 4/6 154# for months, I started gaining – eeekk!!! – I attributed this primarily to nursing school (which I started the same week of my vsg and have since finished and am now working in an ER – whole nuther story!) and grazing all day. Cashews are the devils work, btw!! I was scared and worried but stopped gaining after slowly putting back on 20 pounds. I’ve lost five of that since, am now in a size 8/10 and have been holding there for some time. I truly eat what I want within reason. I’m in a good place mentally and physically. I have been at this weight for over a year now.

I 100% BELIEVE THAT EXERCISE IS CRUCIAL TO YOUR SUCCESS LONG TERM!!!!! So commit to it, the sleeve, while a fantastic tool, WILL NOT solve all of your problems if you aren’t prepared to take care of yourself and having the sleeve makes it easy!! Like any “diet” or whatever, the long term is the trick; you will be able to eat A LOT more as time goes on yet nothing like before. You WILL be able to eat enough and often enough to gain weight if you are not aware. But it’s different. I would have easily gained that 100# back by now, that I know.

So, for me, to compensate for eating so-so, I bicycle competitively and long-distance; average 50 miles every other day at about 19mph. I have a group that I ride with but do it often on my own too. Burns a gajillion calories.

I guess the bottom line is that your life is going to be absolutely incredible post-op BUT, you will always have to be aware of what’s going in and out. The story about the woman who gained all her weight back cuz she would order an xl pizza and work on it all day? I can see that!! Yikes! But, you know what? Don’t buy the stupid pizza!! Easy!!

I wish you all the very best and please feel free to contact me to vent, ask questions, whatever, I’m happy to help and happy to be here for you. richcoast@yahoo.com

Carol

I'm 5 months behind you! Hit 3 years June 10th. Almost identical. Weighed 250, lost 100. Regained 20 - now have lost all but 5. Good work! I am not the exercise guru you are, though. Don't have quite the stamina at 59 1/2 but am exercising. Using 5:2 method to lose regain and to go forward as a lifestyle.

Good to hear from your post! I know it is encouraging to many out there!

Congrats Carole! Thanks for checking back in. I love to hear from successful vets. It gives me confidence that I can keep the weight off.

Lynda

Carol u are so right. The sleeve is just a tool and we need to continue eating healthy. Thank u for coming back and posting. :P

Thank you for the reality check!!! I'll keep it in my mind...

Hello there,

It has been exactly 4 months since I have had my surgery and at this time many of the sleevers who were sleeved in March have now disappeared for some reason. We (I thought) had developed a tight support group but now I do not hear from anyone. I have tried to stay in touch but I have not had any feedback. What happens to people once they have surgery? I cannot figure it out. I was really relying on this forum since my local support group who meets once a month is about an hour away. I make most meetings but I have had times I could not go and this forum was great for me. I am usually on this site several times a week but I get frustrated when there is lack of feedback. Support is so important even 3 years or 5 years after surgery. Someone 3 years out has a tremedous amount of information to share and those of us only a few months out can remind the long times some of the things they have forgotten when just starting out. Bottom line we all need support to help keep us on track.

Hello there' date='

It has been exactly 4 months since I have had my surgery and at this time many of the sleevers who were sleeved in March have now disappeared for some reason. We (I thought) had developed a tight support group but now I do not hear from anyone. I have tried to stay in touch but I have not had any feedback. What happens to people once they have surgery? I cannot figure it out. I was really relying on this forum since my local support group who meets once a month is about an hour away. I make most meetings but I have had times I could not go and this forum was great for me. I am usually on this site several times a week but I get frustrated when there is lack of feedback. Support is so important even 3 years or 5 years after surgery. Someone 3 years out has a tremedous amount of information to share and those of us only a few months out can remind the long times some of the things they have forgotten when just starting out. Bottom line we all need support to help keep us on track.[/quote']

You've got us!!! Keep posting and reading.

Hello there,

It has been exactly 4 months since I have had my surgery and at this time many of the sleevers who were sleeved in March have now disappeared for some reason. We (I thought) had developed a tight support group but now I do not hear from anyone. I have tried to stay in touch but I have not had any feedback. What happens to people once they have surgery? I cannot figure it out. I was really relying on this forum since my local support group who meets once a month is about an hour away. I make most meetings but I have had times I could not go and this forum was great for me. I am usually on this site several times a week but I get frustrated when there is lack of feedback. Support is so important even 3 years or 5 years after surgery. Someone 3 years out has a tremedous amount of information to share and those of us only a few months out can remind the long times some of the things they have forgotten when just starting out. Bottom line we all need support to help keep us on track.

There is a lot of attrition following surgery. People focus on other things and don't come here as much. If you look at those of us that are at least two years out, there are just a handful of us compared to hundreds who are contemplating or recent post-ops.

But support is here if you want it. I get most of my support from this group. I also participate in the VSG forum on Obesity Help and I still occasionally hit a F2F support group. I do these things to give back and to keep myself accountable. I DO NOT want to be a regain statistic.

Lynda

Hello there' date='

It has been exactly 4 months since I have had my surgery and at this time many of the sleevers who were sleeved in March have now disappeared for some reason. We (I thought) had developed a tight support group but now I do not hear from anyone. I have tried to stay in touch but I have not had any feedback. What happens to people once they have surgery? I cannot figure it out. I was really relying on this forum since my local support group who meets once a month is about an hour away. I make most meetings but I have had times I could not go and this forum was great for me. I am usually on this site several times a week but I get frustrated when there is lack of feedback. Support is so important even 3 years or 5 years after surgery. Someone 3 years out has a tremedous amount of information to share and those of us only a few months out can remind the long times some of the things they have forgotten when just starting out. Bottom line we all need support to help keep us on track.[/quote']

I've noticed that too.. I was also March and it seems like everyone did vanish.

Sorry, hijack over.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Congratulations on your success. And thank you for reminding everyone that it does take mindfulness to keep on track. I will be 3 years in November and it is still the best decision I have ever made for myself.

3 years next Janauary, thanks for stopping in! Don't be a stranger, there are some other good threads on this Vets forums to check out. I just asked Lil'missDiva if she wanted to stick her head back in and say hi as well. Hope she does!

Thank you for this, I have known so many people that had the surgery lost 50 lbs and started their old ways of eating, or "drinking mixed drinks" I seen a woman last weekend and I almost gagged, she had the surgery, maybe lost 50 pounds and I swear she is so bloated and has gained it all back, and this has only been maybe a year ago she had the surgery, she likes her mixed drinks too much, YES YOU have to work the sleeve and follow directions, it is NOT a magic pill we swallow and all is well......be aware of what GOES IN THE PIE HOLE.......... as it all adds up!

Awesome! Congrats! Thanks for the info!

Three years last month, June 10, 2010 is when my life changed. I hang out here on VSG and am headed to one of my 'in person' support groups today at 12:30 here in Plano. I attend three others. I love them, I WISH I'd run across others as far out as I am. We are few and far between......once in a while there will be someone else that is three years out, I don't know if I've run across anybody further out than I am. I like to answer questions and play 'cheerleader'. I love encouraging these people to continue to attend the meetings, there is always someone who wants to pick your brain. I figure I'm paying it forward. So many people HERE and in the support groups that are doctor sponsored, answered MY questions, gave suggestions and were just NICE!!! I'm lucky, my husband, who is my biggest cheerleader go with me to all these meetings. He gets involved, takes notes and even asks questions when we have a speaker or if someone is struggling. Good luck and keep posting, you never know who you might be helping.