Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blog post - what not to say to a friend who has had weight-loss surgery

I wrote this today after a weekend of hearing ridiculous comments from people who would say they are friends. Just wanted to post it here because I'm sure many of you can relate. Feel free to link someone to it if they're that "well meaning friend."

http://www.kerryfaler.com/2013/07/08/what-not-to-say-to-a-friend-who-has-had-weight-loss-surgery/

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Everyone isn't going to feel the same way, some want the weight loss to be noticed and acknowledged others don't. Here's my thoughts on it, if you don't like what someone is saying or if you feel uncomfortable tell the person....correct them (firmly but politely) if you do like what they say embrace their words and say THANK YOU. In my opinion sometimes we worry too much about what others are thinking and saying rather than taking that energy to focus on making ourselves better.

I wrote this today after a weekend of hearing ridiculous comments from people who would say they are friends. Just wanted to post it here because I'm sure many of you can relate. Feel free to link someone to it if they're that "well meaning friend."

http://www.kerryfaler.com/2013/07/08/what-not-to-say-to-a-friend-who-has-had-weight-loss-surgery/

Your blog entry was great!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm 5 weeks out and lost 30 pounds so far so I haven't had these comments yet. But I can see myself thinking them in my head if anyone does say these things. Happy birthday tomorrow!!! :-)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Everyone isn't going to feel the same way, some want the weight loss to be noticed and acknowledged others don't. Here's my thoughts on it, if you don't like what someone is saying or if you feel uncomfortable tell the person....correct them (firmly but politely) if you do like what they say embrace their words and say THANK YOU. In my opinion sometimes we worry too much about what others are thinking and saying rather than taking that energy to focus on making ourselves better.

that's why I said "everyone is different" and "I may be more sensitive" several times. these are all things that have been said to me enough that I felt the need to write about it.

Loved your blog! :)

A very witty blog! Thanks for sharing!

Excellent blog post.. but everyone please note: Serendipity Happens welcomes everyone to tell her how fabulous she looks.. as long as it's not from the Korean lady who came into my store the other day and told me "oooh, you look good now, not so fat like before.. before you was sooooooooooo fat." I kid you not.

I just loved your blog!!! There used to be rules about making comments to people about personal body issues. Now it's just a free-for-all. Along with Money Management, I think we need etiquette classes. Whatever happened to tact and diplomacy. Our grandmothers had decorum - they had the good sense not to say whatever popped into their head.

Excellent blog post.. but everyone please note: Serendipity Happens welcomes everyone to tell her how fabulous she looks.. as long as it's not from the Korean lady who came into my store the other day and told me "oooh, you look good now, not so fat like before.. before you was sooooooooooo fat." I kid you not.

And you DO look fabulous. Mahvelous, my dear, simply MAH-velous.

Excellent blog post.. but everyone please note: Serendipity Happens welcomes everyone to tell her how fabulous she looks.. as long as it's not from the Korean lady who came into my store the other day and told me "oooh' date=' you look good now, not so fat like before.. before you was sooooooooooo fat." I kid you not.[/quote']

Lmao

Happy Birthday!