Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I bought my significant other to st. Luke's hospital at 5:30am to be sleeved. Surgery was scheduled for 7:30am and she was wheeled in like 7:15 or so. The doctor said the surgery would take 2-3 hours.

I just got to see her. The look on her face made my stomach sink. She was in so much pain. Like tons. I feel so bad! As she was waking up from anesthesia she had an allergic reaction to the narcotics and they had to give another med to reverse the one that she was allergic to. So she felt everything as she was waking up.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I feel really really horrible. She was crying before surgery and I told her everything will be ok. It's a breeze based on what I read on here. I haven't had my surgery yet but plan on doing so next month and I'm scared, like really scared.

Plus she said her Chest felt right and gas pains are really bad. I'm feel like I'm going to throw up thinking about how she must feel.

Did anyone have any similar experiences? How'd you make out. I really need to here from post-op people right now.

Yes I woke up in excruciating pain :(

I was not one of those ones that was up and shopping the next day.. It is MAJOR surgery and I think a lot people overlook that.

It does get better by the second day the pain was easier managed. But the first hours were hell.

Hang tough and give her this strangers love :)

I might also say that I scared the **** out if my husband and daughter when I woke up. Because I looked like the exorcist writhing in pain...

When she can get her walking I hated it but it did help. My walk was more like a zombie shuffle but it worked on getting the pain to subside.

I spent 10 hours in the PACU. It was hell. That gurney destroyed my back. Narcotics normally make me very sick but they gave me an anti-nausea IV. Instead, the narcotics didn't help one bit, and I couldn't stop writhing in pain until they nearly knocked me out with dilaudid and versed. Lol I was bombed completely after that. I'm so sorry to hear about her experience, but I assure you it's a temporary one. Please tell her for me it gets better. I am 3 and a half weeks post op and I feel awesome! :)

I to was in excurciating pain. I did not wake up until I was in my room. The pain was so bad, none of the pain meds were working. I finally got up to walk, but I could barely move. As for the pain meds they were giving them to me in the IV every 30 minutes. It took about 8 hours to finally get it under control. If she is still in pain bother the hell out of the nurses to get her pain under control. And when she is able, get her up to take a few steps at a time. She will feel alot beeter tomorrow.

She looks better now than when I saw her about 45-55 mins ago. She said she feels better too. She's really sleepy though I'm letting her get her rest. I can only see her every hour for 5 mins at a time....I cannot wait 1 hour so I negotiated that down to every 45 mins for 5 mins.

My stomach is in a knot right now. But I feel better that she feels better. And thank you ladies so much for replying :-)

Yeah. The first words out of my mouth were it hurts. I was begging for pain meds. I had a big hiatal hernia that wasn't seen on my egd that was repaired during surgery. I have a pretty high pain tolerance (I've had my kids no drugs and say it wasn't that bad)- this sucked. That being said almost 8 months later I would go through it over and over again to have the results I've achieved. My health is so vastly improved!

I bought my significant other to st. Luke's hospital at 5:30am to be sleeved. Surgery was scheduled for 7:30am and she was wheeled in like 7:15 or so. The doctor said the surgery would take 2-3 hours.

I just got to see her. The look on her face made my stomach sink. She was in so much pain. Like tons. I feel so bad! As she was waking up from anesthesia she had an allergic reaction to the narcotics and they had to give another med to reverse the one that she was allergic to. So she felt everything as she was waking up.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I feel really really horrible. She was crying before surgery and I told her everything will be ok. It's a breeze based on what I read on here. I haven't had my surgery yet but plan on doing so next month and I'm scared' date=' like really scared.

Plus she said her Chest felt right and gas pains are really bad. I'm feel like I'm going to throw up thinking about how she must feel.

Did anyone have any similar experiences? How'd you make out. I really need to here from post-op people right now.[/quote']

O wow is she ok now? I'm suppose to have surgery at St. Luke's on 18 July and I'm so scared?

O wow is she ok now? I'm suppose to have surgery at St. Luke's on 18 July and I'm so scared?

It's ok to be scared! I was so stupid I wasn't scared until they wheeled me into the operating room... To late :P

This is a major life change, and not just the surgery part. So it's only natural to be scared or have worry..

It was painful and trust me I was working my pain pump like a drug addict!

But it gets so much better every passing hour.

And the pain? In the long run, it's nothing compared to the pain of obesity!

She said on a scale of 1-10, her pain is at a 3....I don't know if she's saying that so that I don't worry. She's that type. She's sleeping like a new born baby now and she doesn't look like she saw the devil anymore. They just moved her up to her room so maybe in a few hours they'll make her walk...idk but I need to see her on her feet for my own sanity.

I have chronic pain due to a condition and am on a fentanyl patch. I've had tons of surgeries including a lap band. I figured this would be no worse.

To say I was unprepared for this pain would be an understatement. By day two, it was gone. I did have some complications from being on steroids so long. My stomach tissue was too thin. They had to staple, stitch and glue.

I have chronic pain due to a condition and am on a fentanyl patch. I've had tons of surgeries including a lap band. I figured this would be no worse.

To say I was unprepared for this pain would be an understatement. By day two' date=' it was gone. I did have some complications from being on steroids so long. My stomach tissue was too thin. They had to staple, stitch and glue.[/quote']

Wow.... :-/ . My mom was on a fentanyl patch and the doctors suspect the patch is the cause of her blindness. She had to switch shoulders every three days, she was on 50 mcg...if the patch was on her right shoulder, her right eye would hurt and burn and tear uncontrollably...if it was on the left, the left eye. They didn't want to take her off suddenly for fear of withdrawal symptoms but she stopped using it and didn't tell the docs and since then her eye pressure is normal and at stable level for 3 months now. I'm scare of fentanyl Patches too...maybe I'm afraid of everything right now. I can't call it.

Gemini- when I woke up, I was not in pain! I arrived at the hospital at 6am & had surgery around 8am and was home by 12:30pm! When I woke up I said, I was thirsty. Then I had to go to the restroom & I remembered everyone laughing because I hopped from my bed to go!

Now recovery.....That's a whole different story!

Gemini- when I woke up' date=' I was not in pain! I arrived at the hospital at 6am & had surgery around 8am and was home by 12:30pm! When I woke up I said, I was thirsty. Then I had to go to the restroom & I remembered everyone laughing cause I hopped from my bed to go!

Now recovery.....That's a whole different story![/quote']

Wait a minute, you went home a few hours after surgery?? I want to be like you when I grow up!!

I had zero pain, but threw up every 20 mins for abt 12 hours straight. It was horrible. That's great..already walking. That should help! Ring that buzzer if u need anything!!